Nikolaj Wendt
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
I am working on a strategic boardgame where players recruit monsters to fight for them on a modular board.

The big tiles that make up the board each consist of 9 smaller tiles that represent terrain elements (mountains, forests, lakes, swamps, desert, etc. etc.)

When a monster is recruited, you look at the tile you want to recruit it in and then "design" it based on the nine terrain tiles that the bigger tile consists of. The monster then ends up with specific characteristics and stats based on what all those nine terrain tiles where.

BUT I need some cool, easy and fun way for players to construct those monsters as part of the game. For playtesting purposes I am going to use LEGO, so when you summon a monster, you build it out of nine pieces of LEGO in the colors corresponding with the terrain tiles. But although LEGO is amazing, the figures obviously end up looking very abstract.

I have been looking for a cooler modular monster creation method or material.
Sort of "I am going to pick the black scaly feet, then attack some black scaly legs, then a green tree-like torso, a green tentacle as the right "arm" and the red burning arm as the left. The head should be the grey and stone like, with green horns. And the white flashy wings. There, monster created!"

I am imagining maybe a toy system that has a lot of body parts that can be easily connected.

Do you know if something like that exists??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russell Miller
United States
Fairmont
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
check out super giant monster showdown
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nikolaj Wendt
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
I think i bumped into that, but I dont think the monster models actually change physically during game play, do they?
Maybe I am not reading it right.

I would like the construction phase to be part of the game - something you do when you recruit the monster - and also when monsters get beaten up and lose health, you remove parts for health lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sevier
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That kind of reminds me of an old monster combat system someone come up with that used play-dough for the monsters. Various aspects actually effected what the monsters could and could no do. Played that a lot one summer as a kid.

I don't know that play-dough is the best suggestion, but I guess it could work.

The other option would be to have various bits that connect together. Either by snapping or maybe magnets? Probably horribly expensive to manufacture, but it's a neat enough idea that people might be willing to spring for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leila Zucker
United States
Washington
DC
flag msg tools
Mars-One Candidate
badge
I'm the real McCoy! (Bones, that is)
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a big toy aficionado, and have never seen the modular building monsters you describe needing for your game.

However, LEGO is infinitely malleable, and I'm sure you can find some Adult Fans of LEGO who would be delighted to help you out with some designs just for fun. Just as there are many game sites with forums, so there are for LEGO. I would try posting on http://www.brick-builder.com/forum/

You may or may not be able to have single-item pieces, but you could certainly have color coded monster modules made up of 3-5 smaller parts. All you would need to do is provide general instructions, such as scale, number of modules per monster, and number of total modules you would need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the *shape* of the monster part important, or just the *color*?

I'd say do them all!
* Legos for players who have Legos.
* Play Doh for players who want to have fun with the kids or such.
* Game components with monster parts printed on them.

For the third choice:
* See Chunky Fighters if you need the monster on the board.
* Otherwise, use link tokens. Each monster has a pawn on the board, and the pawns is "linked" by another token of the same color to the monster the player in front of him. The monster is composed of tiles. Because they are tiles, they cannot be placed and moved on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Beachler
United States
Woodburn
OR
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In some ways it sounds similar to Clay-o-Rama http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/9300/clay-o-rama Building monsters from clay and giving them abilities akin to their look. Also sounds a lot like Mail Order Monsters, a cool video game from the 80's from Electronic Arts. ;)

As for physical figures there are a lot of action figures with modular bits, perhaps just search through some to see if you can find a few ideas. I would think all you would need is a connector thing like Legos have with lots of weapons and armor and stuff.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destiny's got her hand way, way up in their puppets! It's an unpleasant tingling! The deepest of wriggles!
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Spoon!
badge
Well, once again we find that clowning and anarchy don't mix.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hecatomb uses partially transparent, pentagonal cards overlaid on top of each other to create abominations that fight each other. Abilities from the lower pieces that remain visible combine with abilities on the top cards.

There's more to it than that, but that's a core mechanic that I find very interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hutchings
Australia
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use something like this, except with cards instead of pages in a book.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds like a really fun idea, and I hope you can get it through to completion.

Here are my thoughts:

1) Toys - The most expensive, but also the most fun. I picture four or five main colors of Mr. Potato Head-like torsos that you can attach arms, legs, wings, horns, fangs, etc. Part of me even thinks these toys could/should go the "cute" rout to attract a wider audience. After all, the cuteness of Pikachu has sold a ton of Pokemon merchandise while most traditional families don't display gruesome monsters in their homes.

2) Legos - The most recognizable option, but you might run into copyright issues unless you call them by generic terms. Also if you're not including them in the game, think of the fact that not everyone has Legos. I currently have a 4-month old baby. We don't have Legos in our house.

3) Play-Doh - This is the most creative to the players, but not everyone is creative, and will the game just turn into multi-color blobs fighting? Also, Play-doh dries out, so how long will it last, or are you expecting the players to provide their own Play-doh.

4) Transparent Overlay Cards - (Suggested above by mistermarino) I've never played Hecatomb but when it was mentioned, I thought of a game called Ren Faire that I once saw where you have a person and you're putting clothes on them with each new card. Also, Gloom uses transparent cards, but with modifiers changing instead of monster parts.

5) Multi-part Flip Book or Cards - (Suggest above by apeloverage) This could be your cheapest justifiable option, but it would also limit you to the logical top, middle, bottom set-up for each monster.

6) Cardboard Chits in a Tray - I just thought of this idea. I'm picturing it looking similar to a Sliding Tile Puzzle. Instead of trying to solve a sliding puzzle, you can have cardboard chits with arms, legs, body, etc. that you could choose to put in a 4 chit by 4 chit tray to have the monster. This is an extension of the Multi-part Cards used in #5 above, and could be done without the tray, but the monsters would be harder to move from tile to tile without the holding tray.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Wanless
United States
Hollywood
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This may give you some ideas.
Ben 10 Alien Force Alien Creation Chamber http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1AL84BLRrM
My nephews got it a year ago, looked neat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas DeWolf
United States
macomb
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
check this out maybe? it is cheap on ebay if you want to play around with the mechanic.

http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/4058/chaos-progenitus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
For simmilar approaches theres the following...

Clay-O-Rama
Make your monsters from play-dough and battle it out.

Chaos Progenitus
Make your monsters from dice and battle it out.

Xevoz
Make your monsters from action figures and battle it out.

Theres also one or two RPGs out there for playing giant monsters stomping around and beating eachother up.

As for modular board using tiles. Thats the approach I took for Gargantua (which isnt up on the BGG yet.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.