Subject: Claim Jump This! - A gold nugget you may have missed rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This one has become a favourite in our house.
The mechanics are simple enough that new gamers can quickly pick it up but the use (& abuse) of the Extra Turn & Joker tiles adds a lot of depth
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife calls for this weekly. Who am I to deny her?

Great review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin G
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
Don't fall in love with me yet, we only recently met
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice review. My wife got this one for me for Christmas and I like it, but seem to be terrible at it. I've come last by a long way in all three games so far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Howell
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a favorite game at our house, if not the number one game. I too purchased it because of theme and was pleasantly surprised how much more fun it was than I expected. Excellent review, thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Hague
United Kingdom
Bristol
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
RAWKET LAWNCHA!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Must admit it left me cold, that's why I have it up for trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Heaton
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Come back Bale...
badge
In 'Arry we trust!
mbmbmbmb
Took me a while to get it, but once you realize that sometimes you have to clear the hand of crap cards and can capitalize on non-scoring meeples later etc... it all starts to make sense.

It seems luck based but a good player will beat a newb every time hands down, there is a lot more skill than it seems on first glance.

Very good 45 min game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my frequently recommended 2-4 player gateways.

If this was your first review, I hope you'll do more!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Longtime Gamer
United States
Bellows Falls
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel this game relies too heavily on the luck factor: if you don't possess the right combination of cards during a game -- you. Will. Lose. As others indicated, one could use colors or number on the board and cards and the game would be the same. However, the Western theme is what prompted me to purchase this game. It took only a couple of games before I backed off because of the "luck factor". But, that said, it is a game my wife likes, so, as with all the crayon rail games she likes, I play it. However, I also love Combat Commander, a game many won't play because of the "luck factor" so some may claim I'm a hypocrite of sorts. I suppose there is an element of truth in that (though I disagree). However, for a game lasting about an hour, it has its merits, primarily fast and easy. I should also add that the player who goes for gold and coal mines can make a surprising victory.

Don't let me dissuade you, if you are looking for a light, thought provoking game, this is a good one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick C.
United States
Milford
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
Because I served, I will resist
mbmbmbmbmb
louper wrote:
And don't let the previous poster dissuade you either - there's plenty of strategy to be had in this game and it isn't a luck-fest as he'd have you believe.

I'd like someone to explain this argument to me using other tile games as an example.

In the space of two weeks I played Oregon, Carcassonne Castle, Carcassone City, and Maori. I'm also a major fan of Taluva.

Oregon just felt like a little bit more advanced than Maori. I'm just not seeing the depth compared to Taluva or the two Carcassonne standalone titles.

I know from experience that appearances can be deceiving. I didn't fully understand Taluva until I'd played it at least three times. So far I've played Oregon three times and I'm not seeing much "there" there.

And btw, I did use the variant on my third play of combining the colors so that each player had 21 playable pieces. There was far too much isolation otherwise which made the game absolutely boring. This isn't a problem with 3p or 4p. The 21 piece variant makes it the equivalent of a 3p game.

Which brings me to my biggest concern. The two Carcassonne variants and Taluva are all exceptionally good 2p games. If Oregon compares then I'd really like to know how!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Weber
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game caught my interest on yucata.de since it was still popular despite being OOP for a while. After many online plays I decided that I would start shopping for a copy.

I don't always have the time or the group for a heavy game. I think this is a great design for those times. Light-medium weight, 45 min length, easy to learn, and strategic, with a hand management element. Because of these factors, it will sit next to Thurn & Taxis in my collection for similar game experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.