Subject: Random assortment of rules questions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll admit, I haven't found the resilience to read the entire FAQ yet, but I have some (probably simple) rules questions after a few games.

1 Shae reads "Kneel Shae to choose and kneel a character controlled by a player with more power than you."

How are ties broken in this case?

2 Arya Stark from the core set reads "Any Phase: Kneel 1 influence to choose a character with stealth or renown. Until the end of the phase, that character loses those keywords, and Arya Stark gains any keyword that was lost in this way."

Can a player use this multiple times, essentially removing those keywords from multiple characters if a player has enough influence to kneel (respecting offcourse the rule of alternating actions)?

3 The plot card Wildfire Assault reads "When revealed, each player chooses up to 3 of his or her characters. All characters not chosen are killed (cannot be saved)."

Does this mean you can't save them in any way, like using an attachment such as Gilded Plate or Lightbringer, or discarding a duplicate card they had on them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Shinners
United States
New York
New York
flag msg tools
Bearpaw wrote:
I'll admit, I haven't found the resilience to read the entire FAQ yet, but I have some (probably simple) rules questions after a few games.

1 Shae reads "Kneel Shae to choose and kneel a character controlled by a player with more power than you."

How are ties broken in this case?

If you're tied with every other player, you can't use Shae's ability. If you're not tied, you can only use Shae's ability against those who have more power than you.

Quote:

2 Arya Stark from the core set reads "Any Phase: Kneel 1 influence to choose a character with stealth or renown. Until the end of the phase, that character loses those keywords, and Arya Stark gains any keyword that was lost in this way."

Can a player use this multiple times, essentially removing those keywords from multiple characters if a player has enough influence to kneel (respecting offcourse the rule of alternating actions)?

Yep - unless you have to kneel the character, you can use their ability as many times as you can pay the cost (that applies to the kneeling abilities, but you can only kneel a character once). If Arya said "Kneel 1 influence and kneel Arya Stark...", then you could only do it once. However, if you had another card that stood Arya, you could then use her ability a second time.

In short, you can use an ability as many times as you can pay for it.

Quote:
3 The plot card Wildfire Assault reads "When revealed, each player chooses up to 3 of his or her characters. All characters not chosen are killed (cannot be saved)."

Does this mean you can't save them in any way, like using an attachment such as Gilded Plate or Lightbringer, or discarding a duplicate card they had on them?

You cannot save a character through any means if they are Wildfire Assaulted.

Note that this only applies if they're actually killed. So you can't use Lightbringer or Gilded Plate (or a duplicate, since the duplicate gives the character, "Discard this card to save character from being killed") to save them.

However, you can use things to prevent them from dying in the first place. For instance, if you flip The Power of Blood and your opponent Wildfire Assaults, you can choose non-ring characters for the card effect, and your ring characters won't be killed. This is different from a save: a save prevents a character that has 'died' from going to the graveyard, while Power of Blood prevents it from dying in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Vanhoyland
Belgium
Genk
flag msg tools
designer
“The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown.” ― H.P. Lovecraft
badge
I have loved the stars too fondly to be fearful of the night.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everything said is correct but I am going to address the underlying problem here...

It may be a language barrier thing, but you are looking for exceptions to what is written on th ecards and that is the exact opposite of how this particular game (and all of FFG's LCG's) work. The cards will always explicitly state exceptions on the cards themselves.

So if you have a cost to pay and the card does not contain a limit written on it (once per phase for example) then you can trigger that card as many times as you can pay for it... Assuming that the card can legally be triggered. The closest thing to an exception here is the rule of "one response trigger per act" meaning if you won a challenge and the card you want to trigger says "Response: After you have won a challenge..." you could trigger that every time you won a challenge but you could not trigger it multiple times for winning the same challenge. If you had two cards with the same effect, you trigger both once to that one challenge though. Does that make sense?

If a card says "do this to someone with more," then they must have more. The same or less is not more so the effect could never trigger.

Try to read the cards as fully and literally as possible. Nine times out of ten that will tell you exactly how to use the card. The problem and what creates that one in ten misapplication is that English is a stupid and imprecise language.

I love it, it is the only language I truly speak fluently, but after so many years of international travel and speaking to people of and in other languages, I can be honest and say that we have some stupid word usage and frustratingly variable phrases and definitions that can make one sentence have three possible meanings. Download the FAQ, most of these types of problems with wording is addressed in there and you can search the pdf's for the cards or rules in question.

Best of luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.