Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Timothy
Canada
Uxbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been looking for the past little while for a career change. Recently talking with family, the topic of watch makers and "horology" came up. I've begun doing a bit of research and it looks like something I would probably really enjoy. I spent a decade as a 3D modeller making video games and I think that I've got the aptitude and interest to make and repair time pieces. (as far back as I can remember I've always been fascinated by everything "miniature") From what I've learned so far, there is an enormous shortage of skilled watch repair people and people who can hand build parts which are no longer available. So much so that the accredited courses throughout the world tend to be 100% funded by manufacturers and the work is almost guaranteed when you graduate.

I know many BGG'ers tend to be thinkers and tinkerers so it was only natural that I assume that there has to be at least a couple watch makers lurking around here!

If you are a watch maker, I would love to pick your brain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
Logging plays since 2004
badge
Oh, so you actually think about what you are saying?
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard that this guy knows a thing or two about watches:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
badge
I take my fun very seriously.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John O'Haver PhoDOGrapher
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
Pet photographer, that's me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Clock watcher? Yeah, but that's about as close as I get.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris R.
United States
Unspecified
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there's at least one here as I had to look up the word horology once.

(It wasn't as an exciting a definition as I expected.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord_Prussian wrote:
I've heard that this guy knows a thing or two about watches:

And he'll definitely pick your brain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Key Locks
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I like to stand around all day and make faces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Avri
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JeffTimothy wrote:
[T]he accredited courses throughout the world tend to be 100% funded by manufacturers and the work is almost guaranteed when you graduate.

We need to quickbar this thread and pull it out any time there's another "Been laid off" post . . .

Good luck, btw. It actually sounds quite engrossing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What kind of market is there for watches these days? No one in my family wears a watch.

Best of luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know about anyone else, but I carry a pocketwatch. It's both a matter of personal taste and a luddite streak in me. Not a battery one either, I've got a very nice Charles Hubert windup hunter style watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Orangemoose wrote:
What kind of market is there for watches these days? No one in my family wears a watch.

Best of luck

I should have qualified this. I am retired and don't care what time it is. But my two sons use their cell phones as a watch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Helen Holzgrafe
United States
Happy Valley
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I informally interned in high school in the mid 70s with a watchmaker. It was fascinating, but it takes a loooooooong time to learn. I ended up deciding to go to college instead, because I thought I might get a full salary job after college, but still be an apprentice at watchmaking after those four years.

My only advice is to check how long it takes to qualify for work after the courses you are thinking about and what certification they provide. When I was doing it it was a 5-6 year apprenticeship to get the certificate. I bet that's changed now.

At that time quartz and digital watches were curiosities. Nowadays, real watches are the curiosities. Demand for and supply of watchmakers is different now, so it's possible they've sped up the training process.

I hope you go for it. All this time later, I kind of wish I had taken the chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HMS Iron Duke
United States
Bartlett
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KissaTaikuri wrote:
Orangemoose wrote:

Best of luck

I've got a few mechanical and automatic watches. I don't wear a watch daily but will often wear one when I'm going to be in situations where it's rude to pull out your phone to check the time. I find a watch helpful during boardgaming as well since I lose track of time easily.

I'm reminded though that it is just as much a production to haul my pocketwatch out by the chain, flip open the lid, check the time and then put it back in my pocket. But it looks cooler than consulting my phone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chuck Meeks
United States
Bellevue
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to take up watch making as a hobby but I just didn't have the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Timothy
Canada
Uxbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the input Helen,

In so far with my initial research, it seems that the programs in North America tend to be 2 years in length. I think there are European programs that are longer but it does depend on what you're trying to learn. I seem to be hitting a bit of a wall also. Looks like the training programs in Canada are either shut down or struggling to stay open. I only know of one program still available in Canada which is in Montreal and run completely in French which, I do not speak. At this point I am trying to find some watch makers who would be willing to discuss how they got into the business and what kind of training they underwent. The 2 year programs give you professional "WOSTEP" certification which is the standard set by the Swiss Institute of Watch Making. I know it would take years longer to really become a skilled watch maker. Like any career, you don't begin truly learning until you're working.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.