Dominion» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Fast Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Garrett Thurlow
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
I need a card set for a really fast (under 40 minutes) game. Any cards except promos and Cornucopia will work. I need some ideas in under 30 minutes, please help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ferejohn
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
badge
Pitying fools as hard as I can...
mbmbmbmbmb
Umm, pretty much anything should run under 40 minutes unless you are playing 5-6 players and they are slow. If you want to make it as quick as possible, don't use anything that curses and include cards that trash and/or upgrade cards (Chapel, Remodel, Upgrade, Mine, etc.).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tables
United Kingdom
Coventry
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, if you're playing 2 player, just about anything will work in under 30 minutes as long as you aren't, like, talking mainly and playing the game on the side. In 3-4 player you'll want to avoid the really nasty attacks: All cursing attacks, most discard attacks etc. Tamer things such as Bureaucrat, Spy, Oracle, Fortune Teller should be fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Kubiniec
United States
New York
flag msg tools
+Buys
+moneys
and trashers.

no attacks.

anything fitting that critereia should work. Stuff like chapel, festival, bridge, bishop, etc. are what youre looking for. Great hall is another good one. possibly Mining Village, or any village for that matter. Conspirator if you have sufficient +actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Volk
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To shorten the list, toss in Chapel and you're golden.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennison Milenkaya
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd add Spy to the list of Attacks to avoid. Spies tend to be spammed and there's the need to examine everyone's card and make a decision for each and if you are trying to play fast, the player to your right hasn't even shuffled and drawn yet while you are waiting to see what's on top.

Besides, it doesn't do much so use more powerful cards for a faster game.

In fact, that's my main advice: games with lots of cards costing 5 coins or more tend to go faster because...

1. Players don't bog themselves under weaker cards (they aren't so plentiful);

2. High-priced cards have stronger effects and tend to be better at acquiring Provinces or clearing out muck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Judd
United States
Wright City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Avoid some of the Alchemy cards, especially Scrying Pool with deck thinning. Those can make for really long turns.

I'd probably avoid lots of potential action chaining cards overall. Long chains tend to lead to longer turns where you play large portions of your deck, more reshuffling, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Abanato
msg tools
basic rules to keep game time short:

* only terminal actions (no cards that provide one or more additional actions) This reduces the numbers of actions played to max 1 per move.

* no attacs

* no cards that allow to gain other cards or multiple buys.

* don't play silly!

Just using the base + intrigue set:

Moat, Chancellor, Chapel, Cellar, Smithy, Library, Moneylender, Remodel, Courtyard, Upgrade, Wishing Well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.