Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Petty
United States
Lapeer
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Many years ago I contacted the designer about this game and we talked about how good it would be to have a program on a laptop or other device to track money in this game. Of course, now mobile devices seem like an obvious option.

It almost would work to just pass a single device around, in which case I'd write something simple in VB. But some of the challenges would be a pain this way. Can anyone suggest a simple tool that would let multiple players play with their own device from a common database? I'm not much of a programmer, but I'd be glad to give it a try.

It just seems like an excellent game in which the face to face interaction would be even more fun once the numbers were tracked automatically.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bourne
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
www.earthbanana.com
badge
Damn, it feels good to be a hamster!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sure it would be a fairly easy game to program, I've only done some very basic programming but I have some friends that could probably handle something like this. I'm not sure the game would really work electronically though. Part of the fun (when we've played it) is the arguing and debating throughout the game. This game thrives on table-talk and it would be hard to bring that aspect into a program.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Petty
United States
Lapeer
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
I agree completely that it needs the face to face aspect. I didn't make my post clear at all. I meant the device and app would only track the money. It wouldn't have anything to do with the play on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bourne
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
www.earthbanana.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what your talking about. I think that would be pretty easy to do. I haven't ever messed around with "app" programing but this seems like a pretty basic concept so it probably wouldn't be that hard.

It would be cool to have an "end of game summery" that showed how much money was on each individual character.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Flying Arrow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
An app for this would be one of the simplest programs you could write. The math in this game is easy enough, though, that pencil and paper is probably easier.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bourne
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
www.earthbanana.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FlyingArrow wrote:
An app for this would be one of the simplest programs you could write. The math in this game is easy enough, though, that pencil and paper is probably easier.

This is true. I kind of like the ol' pencil and paper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Petty
United States
Lapeer
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
It is quite easy to do that way, but it is possible for someone to make a mistake. I won't be caught until the end of the game, which is disappointing. The technology could eliminate that possibility and allow the focus to be completely on the interaction at the table. I'm not saying it would make the game better for everyone, but I bet it would make it fun for people who otherwise do not play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Petty
United States
Lapeer
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yes, a narrative summary at the end would be great. I played Kory Heath's Werewolf app for iPhone with some friends and my kids last week and my kids loved reading the simple story that was generated during the game and displayed at the end.

Last summer I wrote a VB program and an Android app based on my game Take Your Pick. This was part of a classroom project for my job and a class I was finishing up. The work is posted at the link below. I point it out mostly for the two videos at the end. You can see my programs were nothing more than information management--no bells, whistles or pretty graphics.

https://sites.google.com/site/edt580spring2011/activities/ga...

Again, the additional step for Conspiracy would be playing from a common database so gameplay was not hampered by too much passing of the device.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Bourne
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
www.earthbanana.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone sharing a device might become cumbersome, I know that I am constantly checking my bank book to see how much I have on each player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Floyd Resler
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
I know this thread is really old but I wrote an iOS version of the bank book and Apple rejected it stating it was too simple.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
ahahaahaaha !!!!! have you considered android?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Floyd Resler
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm afraid I don't know how to program in Java just yet. I may learn some day, though!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.