BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Seeking Marble Component Recommendations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandonn Richmond
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I have an idea to use marbles as one of my game components. If you can imagine a flat disk with some sort of icon trapped in the center of a marble.

I've seen marbles like this before, but i cannot find a company that makes them. Of course, at this time all I've managed is a few Google searches, I'm very new at game development.

Any ideas or help would be greatly received.

Thanks-
Brandonn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 77518. Brandonn
  • 1d20 =
  • (18) =
  • Sat Jan 7, 2012 4:46 am
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
do you mean cats eye marbles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Vitek
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps it would be more beneficial to use hardware washers or wooden discs until you find a set of rules for your game that work near perfectly?

Is there a reason they have to be marble at this exact point of development / design?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pelikan
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose the production of glass marbles involves temperatures that are beyond optimal for printed cardboard. Therefor you'd have to look for very durable inlays (most likely quite expensive) or low-temperature alternatives (resin?, no idea if that's too corrosive). Either way, I'd expect a rather high price tag.

Is the orientation of the icon surface important? If not, you could start out with multi-colored marbles and have an index card linking each marble to an icon (or scrap the icon and link marble color patterns directly to whatever the icon would represent). At least for play-testing that should be good enough. If the concept proves to be fun, you still can decide if custom marbles are worth the hassle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandonn Richmond
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Nich wrote:
Perhaps it would be more beneficial to use hardware washers or wooden discs until you find a set of rules for your game that work near perfectly?

Is there a reason they have to be marble at this exact point of development / design?

No there isn't. I'm not even sure that they are needed as a component, I just thought they would be fun to use. I was also investigating cost. Looking at how much I'd have to pay for a set to see if it would be feasible as a part of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandonn Richmond
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
Puschl wrote:
...Either way, I'd expect a rather high price tag.

Is the orientation of the icon surface important? If not, you could start out with multi-colored marbles and have an index card linking each marble to an icon...

That was my concern, price. That was also the main reason I wanted to find a good company that is well known for making custom tokens of sorts for you guys (can I say for us, yet? )

Even if the image was printed on the outside it may fit my needs. Does anyone know of someone that does this?

The idea to use regular marbles is a good one that I may try. Each marble will confirm a different ability with the possibility of the marbles being switched around, so knowing what can do what at a glance is important.

Thanks for all the ideas and info thus far.

-= Need to go to work, can't be late! =-

-Brandonn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pelikan
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandonn wrote:

The idea to use regular marbles is a good one that I may try. Each marble will confirm a different ability with the possibility of the marbles being switched around, so knowing what can do what at a glance is important.

Have a look at http://www.turnbacktogod.com/story-the-marbles-life-on-earth.... I bet you can spot the Argentine and the Dutch/French/Pepsi marbles in no time. If you can create such associations, you'll be fine with regular marbles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Pelikan
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandonn wrote:
marbles being switched around

as in "turned upside down", or as in "moved to a different location", e.g. on an abalone board?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandonn Richmond
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
I have pieces that have movement direction, speed and ability. Currently the marbles would tell you what the ability is. It just sits on the piece. But some abilities may be to switch abilities with another piece.

There will be a lot of abilities, so I need icons that are easily recognizable. At least that is the current idea.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'd highly recommend figuring out how your game works before you start thinking about custom-designed components that are hard to find.

If you're somehow married to the marble idea, try this as a "alpha prototype":

-- grab a bunch of marbles ("gems") from a craft store, or a fish-pet/aquarium store.

Something like:
http://www.mcgillswarehouse.com/p/3781/m70m-30-pound-mixed-g...
(I think most call them "Floral Gems")

-- Then grab a bunch of those circle-dot stickers from a dollar store and just draw your icons on them by hand. apply stickers to the marbles.

Something like
http://instocklabels.com/color_dot_stickers1
(1/2 inch dots)

At least that would let you see if the idea works, before you go and try to embed the designs into the marble.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.