Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Here are pics from my solo game at end of June 7. Omaha was a dogfight, but by end of June 6th they had secure hold of the beach. Germans melted away to defend Bayeau and Isigny. Utah proved a tough fight also. End of June 6th Germans still adjacent to landing beaches.
British got ashore pretty well, although Sword took some effort. All 3 airborne divisions performed exceptionally well.Key roads and towns held to prevent German reinforcements from making much impact. The one thing that hasn't gone the Allies way is weather. June 7 weather was heavy rain. June 8 (current turn) is also heavy rain. Supplies, air and reinforcements severly limited.

Brids-eye of Cotentin

Birds-eye of American sectors

Birds-eye of British sectors

Utah

Omaha

Bayeau

Caen

6th Airborne

3-Map Variant Off-Map Move Track

Eliminated Germans End of June 7

Eliminated Americans End of June 7

As I've mentioned in other posts I think very highly of this game. The invasion turn is exceptional. The maps, counters and overall game play is top rate in my opinion. Plays well solo too, for a monter game. Much easier solo than The Longest Day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie Nye
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mb
Very good!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One mistake I made was on June 7 with the heavy rain, I still landed max units at each beach. I didn't catch the mistake until the weather roll for June 8th, also heavy rain. To make up for overlanding on June 7, I didn't land any Allied units on June 8 and the units on the beach didn't move.

Have finished June 8th and starting June 9th. Rolled Heavy Overcast. Landings have resumed.

A question that popped up for me about the heavy rain is do the mulberry's continue to be built at the same rate as non rainy weather? I didn't see anything in the rules limiting mulberry construction except storm. Maybe heavy rain should be 1d6x1/2?

Also about the 3-map off map track- shouldn't motorized units move at the same rate as mechanized units as opposed to moving at the rate of foot units? The game only differentiates between foot and mech. Motorized moving as foot with extra mp's.

The night, terrain and heavy rain combat modifiers really preclude much combat occuring at night or in bad weather. In this particular game the 2 days of bad weather kept the allies from pressing the germans much and allowed german reinforcements to make good progress into blocking positions. 352nd holding Bayeau appears to be key. In this game, because of the weather, 12SS is coming into position on 352nd's right along the Caen-Bayeau Hwy. Pz Lehr is coming in behind 352nd to deploy on their left to block 1st Div's path toward St Lo. 17SS is gathering at St Lo and will be able to deploy on Lehr's left between St Lo and Isigny. As it's working out in this game this is kind of the ideal deployment of German formations, at least that has been the case in The Longest Day.

I don't see in this game at least, opportunity for the Germans to press the British 6th Airborne much. At least not until the 8th when 711th and 346th enter the map. Which means the British 3rd Div can get units over the canals. Now as the 9th starts, 51st and 7th Arm are going to land and give the British their best opportunity to make headway toward Caen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks really nice! The British troops seem to have made huge progress! I really like how the 6th is just frantic survival and trying to get as many units on shore as possible and from the 7th on the fronts start to form.

Out of interest: how long does one turn take in your game? When I played solo there was just enough time to do a single turn (AM/PM or night) in an evening (3-4 hours) on the 3-map variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Stearns
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Markus- You really think the British have made huge progress? Hard for me to tell playing this for first time and playing alone. I usually gauge British success by the following:

1. Do they hang on to Pegasus Bridge and connect to formations on west side of canals?

2. Can they reach the Caen-Bayeau highway before 12SS can deploy there?

3. Can they take or envelop Bayeau?

By those standards the British have only achieved one, and thus appear to me to be behind schedule.

The weather was part of the problem. Movement and combat were severly limited by two days of heavy rain. The lack of units for the Germans leaves them few options other than to fall back toward Caen to prevent a quick breaththrough by the British. The Germans did attempt one counter-attack vs Pegasus Bridge from the west side and failed to dislodge the airborne defenders. After that 3rd division and commando units took over defense of the bridge.

Not yet comfortable with the CRT, which may also have something to do with the lack of aggresiveness. The CRT results seems to be the same at all the odds from about 5 or 6 down. Because of the weather all the attacks have had from 1 to 3 negative drm's. Like most games a second play of this game will probably be very different.

As for the time to play a full day- I think your 3 to 4 hour time frame is pretty accurate. My play-time may have been less due to the poor weather eliminating the air actions and limiting combat. I am using the solo air table. I really like that inclusion in the rules. That is some of the decision making I don;t like to make in a solo game and the chart just assigns the air points. I might be tempted some to use the chart in a ftf game too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.