Subject: The case of multiple attackers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The rulebook is light on examples of multiple attackers against a single defender so here I present one with a few questions at the end:

Movement/Fire Phase
a. An MA moves into a frontal hex of an LC/A.
b. The LC/A reaction fires on the MA and disorders it.

DRMs (given no terrain effects):
-1 for being mounted
+1 for range 1

c. Another MA moves into the other frontal hex of the LC/A.
d. The LC/A reaction fires with the same DRMs, but this time with no effect.
e. A KN stacked with a leader moves into position to charge the LC/A through a flank hex.

Combat Phase
f. The KN is moved into the flank hex of the LC/A. The LC/A cannot reaction fire because the KN is not in a frontal hex.
g. The LC/A can try to retreat before combat here, but let's say there are no available hexes for that.
h. Because 2 of the attacking units are shocking and 1 is charging the combat is resolved using the shock table.

So the situation looks like this (dMA = disordered MA):

dMA MA
  LC/A KN

DRMs:
+1 for the LC/A's shock DRM printed on the counter
+2 for the attacker's 3:1 strength advantage
+1 for the KN being stacked with a leader
+4 for the combination of front & flank attack
+3 from the Weapons System Matrix, KN attacking LC

Now my questions:

1. Do I add the -2 DRM for Attacker is Disordered even though only 1 of the 3 is disordered?
2. Do I add the -1 DRM for the knight having moved before it initiated its charge? I think not.

If the above is correct, the net DRM is between +11 and +8 (depending on the answers to questions #1 & #2). Given that we're using a d10 to resolve combat we don't have to roll at all. The LC/A is eliminated because a result of 8 or more is Defender Disordered, Retreat 1 hex, and the LC/A has nowhere to retreat per step g.

3. Any DRMs I'm missing?
4. Is there anything incorrect in the example?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
1. Item 6 of rule 12.3 says it applies if any attacker is Disordered.

2. Just because you didn't get to the charge table doesn't mean that the drm for the Knight moving and then charging doesn't apply. Ater all, the Knight did move and charge. Always apply all drms.

3. The only other drm that could apply would be a charisma bonus from the leader stacked with the Knight.

4. Not that I see. If the LC/A has no retreat path, then you could withhold the Disordered MA from the attack as units are not required to attack and its presence will keep the LC/A from retreating through it's hex. At that point the Disordered attacker drm would not apply and the attack would be on the Charge table. However, as you pointed out the drm with the Disordered attacker drm will be +8, so you might as well include all the units so they can share in the glory!

This is an example of why a player needs to leave space for their units to retreat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question came to me in the night:

From the Weapons System Matrix do I use the +3 from KN attacking LC or the +2 from MA attacking LC? However, after reading your answer for question #1 I see this is covered in item 5 of 12.3. I do use the +3.

I see what you mean about retreat paths although the Turkish setup for Antioch seems to make it impossible for the LC/A on the right to have a guaranteed retreat path.

Thanks for the answers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph Shelton
United States
Renton
Washington
flag msg tools
No problema. I hope you enjoy the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.