Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jules McAleer
Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi All,

I am feeling decidedly uninspired when it comes to naming a new board games group I am hoping to start here in my little country town in Queensland, Australia. Friends of mine own a local cafe that isn't open on Sundays, so we are planning to open on a Sunday afternoon once a month or once a fortnight (depending on interest) for boardgames. It will be a private function, with drinks and nibblies - but no hot greasy food - for sale. There is one other local couple with whom we play games, and between us we have a good collection of games to get us started.

Anyhow - I'm going to draw up some leaflets to hand out and posters to put up around town and I need a name - or at the very least a working title! I love the "Snakes and Latte's" name of the cafe in Canada - so something along similar lines with a cafe theme would be cool. The cafe is called "Cafe Utopia". Perhaps a name making reference to something local might work? Our small town of Kingaroy is famous in Australia for growing peanuts, and for it's rich red volcanic soil. It has to mean something to non-gamers as my main purpose is to entice, find and create more gaming opponents locally!

Any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation of your creativity and inspiration

Jules

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicolas Aubert
France
TOULON
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Damhsa_Roisin wrote:
It has to mean something to non-gamers as my main purpose is to entice, find and create more gaming opponents locally!

Any ideas?

Thanks in anticipation of your creativity and inspiration

Jules

go for something straightforward then with games or gaming in it :

Utopia gaming

Peanuts and games ;-) (not good, you get greasy fingers)

Kingaroy gaming society
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
Stay simple and keep the name catchy - Kingaroy Gamers sounds good IMHO meeple

Using Utopia in the name could be mistaken that you only play SciFi games ... and Peanuts in your language does mean something you don't want to have associated with your hobby.

Best luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Green
United States
Alameda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kings and Queens of Corkasonne?

The Gamers of Catan?

Power Gamers?

Through the Dessert?

Hey! That's My Beer!

Race for the Menu?

Age of Gaming?

Twilight Gamers?

Something like that?

Cheers! Good luck in the naming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samo Oleami
Slovenia
Ljubljana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Boardgame Utopia" is I think more general than only Sci-fi. Or go for Boardgame Shangri-La to go with Cafe Utopia. (Or Boardgame El Dorado for something cheesier, or Boardgame Haven for serene approach).

I also like KGS - Kingaroy Gaming Society (You're in Commonwealth after all )

For local approach:
Red AntZ GamerZ
(or would you be mistaken for rugby fans?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingaroy and Things Board game group

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Phillips Beckerman
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Queensland. Kingaroy. hmmmm
something alluding to chess?
Kings & Queens Board Games
Kings & Queens Court

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.