Hide
5 Posts

Axis & Allies: 1942» Forums » Variants

Subject: Sea Zone Movement Costs, Naval forces rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
TheBeast TheBeast
msg tools
If any of you are bothered by the unrealistic ability of Fighters and Bombers to strike vast distances across oceans, here's a simple VARIANT:

In a given movement phase, the first sea zone an aircraft enters costs it 1 movement point. Each subsequent sea zone the aircraft enters in the same movement phase costs it 2 movement points.

Exceptions:
1) The sea zones of East Indies, Borneo, Philippines, New Guinea never cost aircraft 2 movement points to enter.

2) Fighters which begin a Combat Movement Phase aboard an aircraft carrier are not affected by the higher movement cost in either movement phase,

Fighters which begin or end a Combat Move aboard an aircraft carrier cannot fight in more than one round of land combat.

It's unrealistic for carrier fighters to have a huge impact on land combat, because there were so few of them compared to land based air forces.

The unimportance of Solomons, New Guinea, Midway, Wake. Caroline Islands, and Hawaiian Islands is a recurring problem for A&A, so here's a variant to mitigate the problem.

Naval units fight at full strength when they are within two spaces of a friendly territory which produces IPC income. They fight at one point less strength when they fight at a distance of three or more from a friendly IPC territory. Carriers never attack at less than 1 point of strength. Fighters count as naval units if they take off from a carrier. It is the location of the fighter's take-off carrier which determines whether it is penalized in combat.

Submarines fight at full strength when they are within two spaces of any friendly territory, and at one point less otherwise. Subs never defend at less than 1 point of strength. Spain is treated as Axis-friendly for purposes of this rule.
(Spain did provide covert assistance to Axis subs.)

Naval forces could move vast distances in four to six months, which is about what a turn of A&A would be.

The Noncombat Movement Allowance of surface naval units is doubled when moving from a zone adjacent to a friendly IPC producing territory, to another such zone.

The Noncombat Movement Allowance of submarines is doubled when moving from any zone adjacent to a friendly territory. to another such zone. Spain is treated as an Axis territory for purposes of this rule.

Naval units using doubled Noncombat Movement cannot enter a zone containing enemy submarines.

The submarine menace forced naval units to convoy and to zigzag, slowing naval units' movement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm, still trying to turn A&A into something it is not supposed to be. A&A is imho clearly not a simulation but, at best, loosely based on the WW2 period.

As houserules they're a nice and playable addition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TheBeast TheBeast
msg tools
A&A could be much more realistic without overburdening players with rules.

A&A is more than loosely based on WWII. The game, "Attack!" is loosely based on WWII. A&A is about WWII.

IMHO, when a game is highly successful, the designers & publishers are hesitant to make more than incremental changes to the game, and even then only after much agonizing. So the pace of change of A&A is glacial, which is frustrating. At least the changes have mostly been positive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan van der Laan
Netherlands
Leeuwarden
Friesland
flag msg tools
badge
Als u begrijpt wat ik bedoel.
mbmbmbmbmb
Point made. And it's good to see A&A inspiring people to "finetune" it by adding houserules to eventually create a "better" (or "deeper") version of the "simple" game as designed by Larry Harris and his team.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
Thailand
flag msg tools
I think this is the simplest rule to do this that I have seen, but--

Have you considered what happens when Bombers have long range ?

Now the total movement is 8. If you want them to reach out 3 from land [1 more than normal Bmbr], then I think the 3rd space needs to cost just 1 movement/range point. Then the return flight starts the count again. 1+2+1=3 spaces then 1+2+1=3 spaces back.

Also, normal Bmbr using your rule when making a long over water transfer move use 1+2+2+1 to move 4 spaces [the last 1 is onto land to land so it costs just 1]. Do you intend to limit transfers in this way?

Suppose we say it is the 2nd, 4th and 6th continious sea zones that cost 2 in each Movement Phase. Now for transfer moves--Ftr is 1+2+1=3 spaces where last is land or CV. Bmbr and Long Range [=LR] Ftr are 1+2+1+1=4 spaces so 1 more over land before or after the sea crossing or Ftr pay 2 in the 4th to land on CV. LR Bmbr is 1+2+1+2+1+1=6 spaces. Three spaces will get you from E. Can to UK or W. US to Hawaii, or from 1 island to an adjacent island. This is OK but pretty restrictive.

I think that if the island in a sea zone is friendly [and/or continent along the side of a sea zone is friendly] then during a transfer move, that sea zone never costs more than 1. [Coz the planes could refuel there.] And maybe any sea zone adjacent to a sea zone with a friendly island in it also never costs more than 1 IF the plane flys "over" [meaning it need not spend 2 MP to land and take off] that island. [This is in case the island happens to fall on the, say 3rd space, and so costs 1 anyway.]

Also have you considered the posibility that a CV could sit 2 spaces from some land [either an island or the mainland] and attack that land but the same sorts of planes based on that land could not fly out to attack the CV? What you need is to say that when planes fly off a CV to attack land the land space costs 2 to enter.

I wonder why those island group sea zones "never cost more than 1"? I see no reason for this.

I like the naval base for full power ships rule, but--

You should clarify. For island groups do you measure to the island or just to the sea zone. I think just to the sea zone with the friendly island. And to mainland or just to sea zone next to mainland.

I like the double non-combat movement for ships, but--

Why limit it to from friendly terr. to friendly terr.? Why not anywhere to anywhere?

I don't like the CV Ftr just get 1 round of combat rule. In the Pacific all the plane units represent smaller numbers of planes and all the land units are smaller too. In Russia a Tank equals a Ger. Tank Corps or Rus. Tank Army and an Inf. equals 2 or 3 Inf Corps, etc. But, in the Pacific an Inf. can't be much more than a Div. or 2, etc. You can rationalize this by noticing how much more effort it takes to move and supply troops across the large Pacific.

So, the rule makes more sense in the European Theater. Maybe say Ftr from CV are limited to 1 round of combat when they attack continents, but not islands; where islands include-- Australia, Japan, and Madagascar (and maybe the terrtories of "China"), but not UK.

Also, the above plane range rule doesn't work if anyone adds planes with an odd range number, like 5. Now the rule needs to be-- for planes with an odd range num. the 1st (if there is a 2nd), 3rd and 5th continuous sea zones entered in each movement phase cost 2 points off the range.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.