Subject: Gandalf twice in a turn, and back the next turn? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Neil L

Winston-Salem
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmb
Apologies if this has been asked and answered previously.

I played Gandalf twice in the same turn and wanted to make sure it was legal (as it was the play that saved my bacon!).

I put Gandalf in play during Planning phase by paying resource, and reduced threat by 5. Immediately attached Born Aloft to Gandalf.

Used Gandalf to contribute willpower to the Quest, and discarded Born Aloft at end of Quest phase and returned Gandalf to my hand.

In Combat phase, after shadow cards were dealt, used Sneak Attack to put Gandalf in play, reduced threat by 5. Gandalf defended an attack, survived, and returned to my hand at end of Combat phase.

Next turn, payed for Gandalf in Planning phase, dealt damage to an enemy. Gandalf participated in an attack in Combat phase, and the game was won (Anduin).

Was this series of plays legal? I really hope so, it's the one time (out of six) that I've defeated Anduin.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. D
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Absolutely legal. Beautiful play there with a great narrative.

Gandalf arrives to help the party, summons an eagle to sneak him behind the lines to do more damage, and then fully reveals himself once more.

Nice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Koziey
Canada
Oakville
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Neil I'm a new player and have been playing Anduin. Haven't beat it yet. I play solo with a single deck. I have been trying a 3 sphere deck - Tactics/Gimli, Leadership/Theodred and Spirit/Eowyn.

I'm thinking of switching to Lore/Spirit/Leadership because the quest usually fails due to high damage on heroes.

What have you been playing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart Rachemoss
United States
Silver City
New Mexico
flag msg tools
Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Brad, I've had great success with Lore/Spirit/Leadership going down the Anduin using a 50-card deck from two core sets. The biggest drawback is that it could get a little boring because once you've survived the first 3 or 4 turns, success was almost certain. I removed all copies of Gandalf from my player deck and both copies of Banks of the Anduin from the encounter deck and I still kept winning most of the time.

If you only have one core set you might want to cut your deck size to around 30 or so, mostly by using only 2 copies of a card even though 3 are available. This will make it more likely for you to draw cards like Unexpected Courage or Steward of Gondor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil L

Winston-Salem
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the confirmation & kind words, Mr D. The game really did have the narrative feel you describe-- I was on death's doorstep when Gandalf swept in to save the day. It certainly had a too good to be true feel to it, which is what prompted me to check with the forum on the legality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Good stuff, Neil.
Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil L

Winston-Salem
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmb
I'm a new player too, Brad, so take my advice at your own peril !

The deck I've been tweaking is Leadership/Spirit/Tactics, 50 cards. The card base I have to choose from is 1 Core set, plus the first 4 Shadows of Mirkwood packs.

Heroes:

Aragorn: Aragorn fills the rolls of resource bank, quester, and combatant. I want to get Steward of Gondor on him as quickly as possible, and I also like to get Song of Travel on him to pay for higher cost Spirit cards in the deck. I also have Parting Gifts in the deck so I can transfer resource over to one of the other heroes if necessary. Aragorn's ability to ready himself after committing to the quest ensures he's doing more than one thing each turn.

Frodo: Frodo is my primary quester, so I try to get Celebrian's Stone on him (sometimes this will go on Aragorn if I haven't got a song of travel yet). Frodo also serves to take undefended damage during combat, which translates to threat instead. This can be risky, but useful if threat is being managed well.

Legolas: Legolas is my primary combatant, so I want Dunedain Mark and Unexpected Courage as soon as possible. If I'm able to successfully attack twice with him, that's four additional progress tokens put down in the combat phase.

Other cards not already mentioned:

High cost:
Gandalf: almost always used to reduce threat when he comes in.
Faramir: helps with the quest, but can help in combat too
Descendant of Thorondor: another nice all-purpose ally, with the bonus of opening and parting shots
Galadhrin's Greeting: threat reduction

Low cost:
Riddermark's Finest: I like this card, can contribute to the quest for a few turns (especially if Faramir is in play), and then can be sacrificed to clear a 1 or 2 location in the staging area or finish off the current location.
Snowbourn Scout: I think of him as the guy on Star Trek with the red shirt
Ancient Mathom: you have to clear locations, might as well get some card draw for the effort

Other low cost:
Test of Will
Ever Vigilant
Sneak Attack
Quick Strike
Feint
Blade Mastery
Born Aloft

Two cards in the deck that may be replaced soon:
Radagast: I like the idea of collecting resources to help with Riddermark's Finest and Descendant of Thorondor, but so far that hasn't panned out.
Northern Tracker: in games where there are a lot of locations in the staging area, he's nowhere to be found. When he shows up, there's nothing but monsters.

That's what I've been working in, fwiw...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.