Popular Tags: [View All]
Lich Lord
United States
New York
flag msg tools
"That is so gay!"
"That is so lame!"
"That is so retarded!"

We can not say these things in society anymore. We have realized that it is insensitive and damaging to say them. But what can we say?

I am stumped.

Saying "That is so nazi!" or "That is so pedo!" does not work either. Bringing up Nazis or pedophilia can upset victims and trivializes the abuses. This would apply to any class of individuals that do harm to others.

This is a problem because demonizing a class of individuals is a powerful and visceral use of analogy. Our brains are wired to respond to it very well.

There needs to be some class of individuals that (1) no one is actually a part of, and (2) are deemed weak and ineffectual.

The only thing I can think of would be cave men/neanderthals, just like in the Geico commercials. While they fit both 1 and 2 above, the whole point of making the analogy is to viscerally make people think "that is indeed weak and ineffectual and I do not wish to be like those people and be excluded from the group."

Neanderthals do not have much punch because no one can really be like them because they no longer exist.

Aside from being mature and not using this figure of speech, which of course is the correct answer, is there any class of individuals that we can use as a source of social exclusion and be guilt free while doing it?

In moments of frustration I want to be able to belt out that I think something "is so x!" and know that from now till the end of time I was not showing any moral blind spot for making the analogy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
“This is so satanic”
"This is so banker"
"This is so athiest"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
I think we should demonize social conservatives by saying "that is so BJ!" because BJ already thinks that social conservatives are demonized, and he feels inordinately threatened when people keep finding ways to make the Republican presidential hopefuls look like the lame assholes that most of them clearly are. Herman Cain couldn't use the English language with enough precision to order a pizza, Rick Santorum can't stumble over a prepared sound bite without sounding like a closet racist, Michele Bachmann can't do anything without her husband's arm inserted all the way up her intestinal tract for better control--the list goes on and sadly on. What was Obama's biggest drawback as a candidate? His parents didn't observe the "no interracial commingling" sign. Well, that plus a few paltry items like, "he isn't American!" and, "he's friends with a militant terrorist outlaw!!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ahhh "thats so teaparty"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
"That is so RSPed"
"That is so moderated"
"That is so chitchatted"
"That is so banhammered"

When did we stop being allowed to same lame?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Kloth
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Insulting intelligence would likely work as long as the word doesn't apply to handicapped people.

Moronic, Idiotic, Asinine, Dumb, Imbecile, Stupid, Witless.

The nouns would be:
Moron, Idiot, Ass / Asshole, Dumbass, Imbecile, Ignoramus, Simpleton, Dimwit.

Direct adjectives (You are...):
thick, boneheaded, brainless, dense, dim-witted, dumb, ignorant, obtuse.

Just add fuck, fucking, or fucker to increase the harshness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MusedFable wrote:
Insulting intelligence would likely work as long as the word doesn't apply to handicapped people.

Moronic, Idiotic, Asinine, Dumb, Imbecile, Stupid, Witless.

The nouns would be:
Moron, Idiot, Ass / Asshole, Dumbass, Imbecile, Ignoramus, Simpleton, Dimwit.

Direct adjectives (You are...):
thick, boneheaded, brainless, dense, dim-witted, dumb, ignorant, obtuse.

Just add fuck, fucking, or fucker to increase the harshness.

"Thats so fucking teaparty"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Mohling
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
I think we should demonize social conservatives by saying "that is so BJ!" because BJ already thinks that social conservatives are demonized

Hey guys, have you googled BJ?! Apparently some liberals hate him so much that they named a disgusting sex act after him. Those crazy liberals, always oppressing conservatives!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just had an idea how about
“that is so rubbish” or “that is so stupid” or “that is so useless”? Why do we need to demonise someone, we can say something is utter toss without demonising anyone (of there’s another ”that is total toss”).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dan Savage wrote:
That's Leotarded

Stop using the word "retarded" as an insult, Dan. I know it can be hard to break a verbal habit, but make an effort. Perhaps you should have a "retard jar" that you put a dollar in every time you use the word. When the jar is full, send the money to the Special Olympics.

Whatever you do, though, try to remember that you have lots of listeners and readers who have loved ones with mental disabilities, and we don't want to hear you misuse the word "retarded." Please don't tell me to read or listen to other people if I don't like what I hear. I want to read your column and listen to your podcast, but without the put-downs directed at people with mental disabilities.

The Real Other Sister

I'm going to turn over a new leaf, TROS, and make a conscious, conscientious effort to break myself of the bad habit of using the word "retard." But I don't think the "retard jar" is for me. Instead, I'm going to use a substitution for the word. From now on, instead of saying "retard" or "that's so retarded," I'm going to say "leotard" and "that's so leotarded." I won't be mocking the mentally challenged, just the physically gifted. I will pick on the strong—and the limber—and not the weak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colleen
United States
Menomonee Falls
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We should demonize cuddle parties. http://www.cuddleparty.com/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
colleens wrote:
We should demonize cuddle parties. http://www.cuddleparty.com/

I sometimes dispare at humanity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josiah Fiscus
United States
Pittsburgh (Monroeville)
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never heard of anyone getting offended by "lame", but I guess anything is possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WallyNate wrote:
MisterCranky wrote:
I think we should demonize social conservatives by saying "that is so BJ!" because BJ already thinks that social conservatives are demonized

Hey guys, have you googled BJ?! Apparently some liberals hate him so much that they named a disgusting sex act after him. Those crazy liberals, always oppressing conservatives!

What's so disgusting about a BJ? I love receiving one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"That's so gamer!"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Jenkins
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"That is so copyrighted!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lapppi wrote:
"That is so copyrighted!"

"thats so Games Workshop"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
Retarded is a word that has a meaning that can be applied to an idea. I see nothing offensive about it and will continue to use it with anyone that hasn't expressed their offense to me.

Same goes for lame and dumb.

Gay, on the other hand, does not apply to ideas or accurately describe them (unless they are literally promoting gayness), and thus is not something I would use to describe an idea I don't like. Similarly 'jew' or it's derivatives. It's only purpose is to disparage gayness (or Jewishness in the case of jew).

Also, I will continue to use the description 'mentally retarded' to describe people who are retarded mentally. It's an apt description.

I refuse to play the game where people get offended when other people use words that have clear and appropriate meanings. Any word can be said with a certain tone of voice that implies disparagement or mockery. That tone of voice is what I try to avoid, rather than particular words that have been hijacked by seekers to give offense and those who take the bait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ejmowrer wrote:
Retarded is a word that has a meaning that can be applied to an idea. I see nothing offensive about it and will continue to use it with anyone that hasn't expressed their offense to me.

Gay, on the other hand, does not apply to ideas or accurately describe them (unless they are literally promoting gayness), and thus is not something I would use to describe an idea I don't like. Similarly 'jew' or it's derivatives. It's only purpose is to disparage gayness (or Jewishness in the case of jew).

Also, I will continue to use the description 'mentally retarded' to describe people who are retarded mentally. It's an apt description.

I refuse to play the game where people get offended when other people use words that have clear and appropriate meanings. Any word can be said with a certain tone of voice that implies disparagement or mockery. That tone of voice is what I try to avoid, rather than particular words that have been hijacked by seekers to give offense and those who take the bait.

Retarded can only apply to an idea were that idea is delayed, if its used in any context other then the idea of delay it referanaces the mental illness. Thus an idea cannot be retarded, only the person saying it can be as ideas cannot suffer from mental illness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Belgium
flag msg tools
Meaningless means there's a strong limit to how much I can mess up!
badge
This overtext is not in use.
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread unfairly demonizes demons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
sepulchre wrote:
We can not say these things in society anymore.

You can say them ... but like it is said it's better to keep quiet and have people think you stupid, than to talk and confirm it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clay
United States
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:

Retarded can only apply to an idea were that idea is delayed, if its used in any context other then the idea of delay it referanaces the mental illness. Thus an idea cannot be retarded, only the person saying it can be as ideas cannot suffer from mental illness.

"My good sir, have your mental processes slowed? That display could only be indicative of a retarded mind. Drink some coffee."

Seems to work fine to me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asili Eiliaz
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
All this newfangled business of demonizing people with words! What's wrong with the old-fashioned way... scratching 'em with your claws and magically sealing all the exits?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Message wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:

"My good sir, have your mental processes slowed? That display could only be indicative of a retarded mind. Drink some coffee."

Exactly, its the mind that has retarded, not the idea. So saying that an idea is retarded is like saying its crippled or black.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric "Shippy McShipperson" Mowrer
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Ami. Geek.
mbmbmbmbmb
slatersteven wrote:
The Message wrote:
slatersteven wrote:
ejmowrer wrote:

Exactly, its the mind that has retarded, not the idea. So saying that an idea is retarded is like saying its crippled or black.

No, it's not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.