Subject: Another (import-)tent Question / Tied Scores rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played this great game for the 3rd time today. The rules are pretty clear and straightforward, but some players still had a question or two about the following details:

1) Pitching a Tent: The rules say that "With enough movement points, a climber can enter a space AND place a tent there in one turn".

Does this imply that pitching a tent always ends a climber's movement?

We assumed that it doesn't, so given enough movement points, a climber would be allowed to do each of the following (in one turn), right?!

1a) move to another space first, then pitch a tent there
1b) pitch a tent in the current space, then move on to another space
1c) move to another space, pitch a tent there and move on to yet another space (or even back to the original space the climber came from)

2) Tied Scores at Game End: Do we understand it right, that there only is a tie-breaker between tied players that had one of their climbers reach the summit (the winner then being the player whose climber reached the summit first)?

In other words: in all other cases where noone reaches the summit, all tied players win the game, no matter who climbed up the highest? For example: 6+3 = 9 and 5+4 = 9, do both players win or does the player with the "6" result win?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam K
Poland
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.

Ad.1 Yes, climber can do 1a or 1b or 1c :-)
Ad.2 Yes, tie-breaker between tied players is only in situation when one (two ;-) ) of their climbers reach the summit. In your example is tie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Bunyan
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Miraculix wrote:
1) Pitching a Tent: The rules say that "With enough movement points, a climber can enter a space AND place a tent there in one turn".

Does this imply that pitching a tent always ends a climber's movement?

I don't believe so. I don't think the text implies that, and for what it might be worth it doesn't make sense thematically either. Therefore your example moves are all valid.

Miraculix wrote:
2) Tied Scores at Game End: Do we understand it right, that there only is a tie-breaker between tied players that had one of their climbers reach the summit (the winner then being the player whose climber reached the summit first)?

In other words: in all other cases where noone reaches the summit, all tied players win the game, no matter who climbed up the highest? For example: 6+3 = 9 and 5+4 = 9, do both players win or does the player with the "6" result win?

The rules say the tie-breaker only comes into play if someone reaches the summit, so in your 9 point example both players would win. Personally, though, I prefer to play that the player who gets a climber the highest wins regardless of whether it's the summit or not. Usually at least one climber gets to the summit anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony
United States
Lawton
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thumbs for your title, I like puns!

1. You quoted the closest thing to an answer in the rulebook We played tents like you did though so far we have only had one peron want to build and move on.

2. You are correct again, the last sentence in Game End paragraph of the instructions says if none of the tied players reached the top then the players with the highest point total tie.

Edit: Wow, I'm way too slow!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Günter Immeyer
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilgrim152 wrote:
Usually at least one climber gets to the summit anyway.

Well... we were actually playing the hard side and ran into an unlucky streak of bad weather, so this exact tie with 6-3 and 5-4 scores really happened... laugh

Very exciting an fun game, though.

Thanks a lot, everyone for the almost instant answers.

I think we're gonna have to try this again this evening to settle for good who's the true "Mountain King"... meeple

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.