Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Negoescu
Romania
Brasov
Brasov
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Since there are so many good reviews "in the wilds" about this game I thought I'd offer a fresh perspective on it.

First of all I'll start at the end and say: I love this game. Of course this is subjective and that's not what you're here for.

Objectively this game is terrifying. At one point I was amazed at how well the game is thought out, it scales perfectly from 2 to 5 players. The one thing about more than two players that is negative is that the game takes more time to finish and players must wait their turn. This means this game is subject to massive Analysis Paralysis (to quote some other reviewers out there).

That said this game is awesome when played with a consistent group of gamers.

Since I'm a family gamer I can't help but mention that my wife is afraid of this game. The second "shortcoming" of the game it feels a bit like steering your car on a very narrow road between a fall to your death and a huge cliff face. Sometimes a car comes towards you from the opposite direction and you can't help but pray for the two cars to somehow make it out in one piece.

Analogies aside your people will be hungry in this game, a lot. Between wanting to win the game and wanting to feed your family (in the end this counts towards winning the game too) you'll have to make some hard decisions and beginners to this game will find themselves wasting lots of actions on getting more food. This aspect of perfect balance and little to no room for error scares my wife a lot. She doesn't like that you rarely build your house to the max, you rarely gain all family members and you rarely fill all spaces on your player board.

Not to mention that if all players are relatively experienced with the game doing all the things mentioned above is virtually impossible.

This game is about perfect balance and sometimes hunger. You won't have the time to notice how the game is taking longer than Ticket to Ride or Dominion because you'll be constantly thinking how to not to be a beggar this round and still get that major development that would give you so much sought after food in the future.

This game is pure strategy, almost no luck at all and the little bit of randomness it brings can be easily ignored / planned for. This game is for the chess loving farmer in you. This game is not for you if you suffer from OCD, even perfect balance will not get you perfection. You'll cringe when another player takes the space that would have allowed your family to expand at the right time with the exactly right amount of food.

In conclusion you'll be min-maxing through this game like crazy, this game is for min-maxers, this game is for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. My wife and I hope to get this to the table this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Sonnenberg
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just so you know, it is possible to win even after begging. Tough, but possible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Sanders
United States
Henderson
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
DNA results:Scottish, Dutch, English, Irish, German, French, Iberian Peninsula = 100% American!
mbmbmbmbmb
CarnageX wrote:
Since there are so many good reviews "in the wilds" about this game I thought I'd offer a fresh perspective on it.

One thing that has provided a bit of "freshness" for me is adopting the card drafting variant at the end of the rules where you draw 10 cards and keep 7 to play with. I think when players get more familiar with the cards (I haven't even opened up the K deck yet!) this can be useful.

Nice, succint review!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.