United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am a closet nerd. I tricked my wife into thinking I was a cool guy, but I like nerdy things. She does not. But then I found this game! I used to be a hard core tournament Magic the Gathering player. My wife would never ever touch a game like Magic. Not to mention, the game became wildly expensive!

Dominion is like playing a game as deep as Magic the Gathering, but all you need to spend is $30 total for 2~4 people and you can explain the rules in about 5 minutes. I think that's a win-win-win situation right there.

That's really the appeal to the game. 1) deep strategy involved 2) cheap, since you just buy the game once instead of packs and packs of cards to 'collect' them. 3) uber ridiculously easy to teach new people to play.

If you are reading this, you heard about it somehow, or you found it because you saw that it's the most popular game right now. If the comparisons to Magic the Gathering scare you; do not fear. My wife loves this game. I've taught it to friends who never play board or card games and they loved it. Not only did they love it, but they vowed to buy it after 2 games. It is that addicting.

And once this base set wears out its welcome and you reach 'expert status' with the 25 cards it comes with? Dish out $30 dollars and get an expansion that will open up all sorts of possibilities. The designer purposely made the base set as simple as possible and once you 'figure out' the base set, it may seem 'boring', but seriously even just 1 expansion (out of the 4 or so that has been released) will change everything.

For reference, the games my wife and I also play are Carcassone and settlers of Catan (with friends of course). And while I love both of those games, Dominion is by far the most 'deep' game.

A few minor cons: they are cards. And you shuffle them....all....the.....time. You need to buy sleeves to protect them and when you do, they will not fit nicely in the box the game comes with.

You will want to get all the expansions...eventually; like I said, the base set is the simplest. After some point you will 'figure the cards out'. and then you read the text for a few expansion cards and see the limitless possibilities. and then you will need to shell out more money. (But like I said, no where near as bad as the 'collectible' card games!)

It isn't the most "social" of games out there. A game like Catan has a certain appeal. I can't count how many times I've laughed at "anyone got wood?" jokes during a game of Catan. It's fun to barter trades, argue where the robber will go, etc. Dominion doesn't have that. I will disagree with the other reviewers who say dominion is like every player is playing a solitaire game. That's like saying anyone playing Halo multi-player without a mic is playing a solitaire game. You are indeed playing against each other. You do have to tell the other players what you are doing. and once you get passed being a beginner you will realize how important it is to monitor what the other player/players are doing. From a pure 'game' standpoint, Dominion is far superior than Catan/Carcassone, not to mention the games go by much quicker.

If for some reason the 200+ 5 star ratings didn't convince you to buy this game yet, I urge you, please give this game a try. I wouldn't have ever thought i could play a game anywhere remotely close to Magic the gathering with my friends (who aren't closet nerds like I am!)....and then Dominion came along.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We had this on the shelf for about 8 months before finally getting around to playing it. A really good game. I don't know why it took us so long.

Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
meepleonboard
United Kingdom
Somerset/London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Likewise - I couldn't see how a large pack of cards could be so highly rated, but it's become a favourite after sitting on the shelf for ages prior to the first play. I enjoy the idea of 'investing' in your deck, tipping the odds in your favour, but never quite knowing which cards are going to come out. Simple to explain too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Derbyshire
United Kingdom
Norton Mandeville
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We're the opposite - played it lots initially and now it's sat on the shelf, well for years now I guess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Teverbaugh
United States
Anderson
Indiana (IN)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the OP. In terms of easy of play strategy, time needed to play and variety, Dominion is the best game I've ever played. All of the expansions are good, except that quite a few of them are great. If you bother to appreciate all of the game's strengths it will never stay on the shelf long. Welcome to our world.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth Brown
United States
North Adams
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Action Phase wrote:
I used to be a hard core Magic the Gathering player.

[...]

You will want to get all the expansions...eventually

As another former Magic player ("gotta catch 'em all!"), I totally see the impulse.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas
Germany
Nagold
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldnt say its "far superior" to Carcassonne and Settlers. Both are great games, won multiple awards and have a wiiide following on the geek and outside in homes and families. Dominion is, I admit that, a fresh and new approach to gaming and I am sure in 10 years people will still talk about Dominion. But so will they talk about Carc and Catan. All have a firm place in the hall of fame, I wouldnt say one is superior or the other. And certainly not far superior...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brook Gentlestream
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xeenu wrote:
I wouldnt say its "far superior" to Carcassonne and Settlers. Both are great games, won multiple awards and have a wiiide following on the geek and outside in homes and families. Dominion is, I admit that, a fresh and new approach to gaming and I am sure in 10 years people will still talk about Dominion. But so will they talk about Carc and Catan. All have a firm place in the hall of fame, I wouldnt say one is superior or the other. And certainly not far superior...

I would call it a peer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danger Mike
United States
Fenton
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Wrong. It's not for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Dieckmann
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
We're the opposite - played it lots initially and now it's sat on the shelf, well for years now I guess.

Have you tried any of the expansions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Maarten Robinson
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's ideal for relatively young children; 6/7yrs+ specially when you choose the cards that do exciting things (eg witch, young witch and some of the alchemy cards where a potion is needed). But... Remember not to mind losing; they catch on so quickly. Try playing with foreign language expansion cards...that adds a certain je me sais quoi. It's a great game. Thank you Donald.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.