Kevin Marshall
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
We Are DEVO!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to play the introductory game today, but had a quick question.

If I am playing the Polish army and I attack the Soviet-held Kamianets (a 1 VP Key City) and defeat them and move in and take the city...is this a 2 VP swing?

It would seem that the Soviet player would lose a VP for losing the city and that I would gain a VP for gaining the city, but I just wanted to be sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
mbmbmbmbmb
No, it's kind of weird, but there is only one victory point track for both sides, so it swings like a pendulum. If you capture that city and the Soviets were at 2 points on the track, you simply move it down one on the track.

AND, if the Soviets were only sitting on 1 VP at the time, you flip the marker over to the Polish side, so it goes from showing 1 Soviet point to 1 Polish point. This may seem like a swing of two points where the first example was 1 point, but you have to remember the score track cannot be at zero. Zero does not exist on this score track. So travelling from 1 Soviet point to 1 Polish point is only a distance of 1.

Hope that helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Marshall
United States
Thousand Oaks
California
flag msg tools
We Are DEVO!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, thanks.

I guess there is no way for a city to go neutral. Once its claimed, it will remain so by one side or the other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harvey Mossman
msg tools
Dr Mage wrote:
Yes, thanks.

I guess there is no way for a city to go neutral. Once its claimed, it will remain so by one side or the other.

No...That's not true. A city goes neutral the minite it is unoccuppied by either player and there is no garrison on it. If a player leaves a city unoccuppied, it becomes neutral and he loses the VP for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UniqueRabbit wrote:
No, it's kind of weird, but there is only one victory point track for both sides, so it swings like a pendulum. If you capture that city and the Soviets were at 2 points on the track, you simply move it down one on the track.

AND, if the Soviets were only sitting on 1 VP at the time, you flip the marker over to the Polish side, so it goes from showing 1 Soviet point to 1 Polish point. This may seem like a swing of two points where the first example was 1 point, but you have to remember the score track cannot be at zero. Zero does not exist on this score track. So travelling from 1 Soviet point to 1 Polish point is only a distance of 1.

Hope that helps!

I'm having tremendous difficulty wrapping my mind around this....

If the Soviets start the round with 2 VPs, but lose s 2-point city to the Poles, how could it be that the Soviet player is now only knocked down to 1 VP on the track?

Wouldn't the loss of the city move the track in the Poles' favor (I.e., the victory point line would read: 1 VP Poland)? (There really should be a "0" but that's another issue altogether). And then, since the Poles claimed the city, they'd gain two VPs and end up with 3 VPs in sum, no?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.