Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave Aimone
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just received Dungeon Run in the mail and have absolutely loved it as much as I thought I would thus far. As a new father, it's great to find a game that can offer me a lot of variety while also providing streamlined play and straightforward rules. But, alas, this is not a review, this is a plea to the designers and producers about (hopefully) upcoming expansions.

I love expansions. Expansions to a game that you already enjoy can be one of the most delightful additions, but they can also be an overwhelming, cumbersome change to the base game. If you are going to do expansions, I beg of you, please do smaller mini expansions as opposed to entire new big box expansions.

Thunderstone is a great game that has offered both large scale expansions (of which I own one) and mini (in Thunderstone's case, REALLY mini) "expansions" (really, just promo cards that were made available in the geekstore). I've found that I much prefer the option to buy a mini expansion than the large ones for both economical reasons as well as the ability to not stray to far from the base game that I love.

Runebound is a great example of a game (somewhat similar to Dungeon Run) that offers many different mini expansion packs (decks of new equipment, monsters, etc). I can't tell you how much time I spent looking at the various mini expansions to figure out which ones I wanted (and ended up purchasing multiple ones)...whereas the large scale expansions, I rarely purchase.

Dungeon Run lends itself to mini expansions perfectly. A pack of cards (similar to Runebound or an unrelated game like Jambo) could easily be sold for an affordable price, but offer a multitude of expansion opportunities based on how the game is designed. A pack could contain Treasure, Traps, Monster, Stranger and Artifact cards all in one deck while not dramatically altering the base game.

Additionally, a slightly larger scale expansion could offer, say, 2 heroes (with figures, abilities and cards) 1 boss (with card, which would maintain the 2:1 hero to boss ratio) and even an additional special room or two.

I'd probably spend more money on multiple mini expansions than I would on one large scale expansion since they stretch out the gameplay and don't suddenly completely change everything about it (plus, it's easy to justify a $5-10 expense over a $40 one).

At some point, I'll post an Expansion Ideas post with some things I've thought of, but for now, this is just my personal plea to any of the decision makers. Other fans will feel differently, I'm sure, but I just feel that this game is perfectly designed for multiple mini expansions.

-Dave
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly N.
United States
Richmond
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Great points!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mercedes (Mandy)
Japan
Setagaya-ku
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Tokyo Game Market here I come!
badge
Sorry if I'm slow in reading mails. I'm currently working hard on some Alley Thieves
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like mini expansions too. I like the Summoner Wars mini expansions, because you can save up and build your collection slowly.

My votes are for more cards & more bosses & cool dice (2 colours or something)

If they do go with the bigger expansion - a half sized sized box would be great
Trying to find room to put all my games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Taylor
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
I'd rather have full cross-compatible sequels.

This way it never matters for Plaid Hat which game goes out of print because each game is a self-contained game. This helps sales for them. It's well known that expansions tend to sell less than base-games.

For fans, you are getting more for you money because of economies of scale. Sure a smaller expansion would be cheaper, but it costs them more per item to create it. With a discount each full game would only be $30 anyway.

New tiles, new heroes, new minis, new treasures is where it is at. There really is not that many tiles in the base game anyway...especially in multiplayer.

Fully Agree. I would like to see a better emplemented version of what WotC did with the D&D Adventure System.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chef D
United States
US Armed Forces - Americas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AdmiralCrunch wrote:
D6Frog wrote:

This way it never matters for Plaid Hat which game goes out of print because each game is a self-contained game. This helps sales for them. It's well known that expansions tend to sell less than base-games.

For fans, you are getting more for you money because of economies of scale. Sure a smaller expansion would be cheaper, but it costs them more per item to create it. With a discount each full game would only be $30 anyway.

New tiles, new heroes, new minis, new treasures is where it is at. There really is not that many tiles in the base game anyway...especially in multiplayer.

Fully Agree. I would like to see a better emplemented versiUon of what WotC did with the D&D Adventure System.

I think Colby and Mr.Bistro said they were going to come out with Dungeon Run 2 rather than an expansion on their latest podcast. They are doing it for the exact reasons of not running out of base games with expansions still in inventory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Aimone
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:

As a big fan of Dungeon Twister (which utilizes the full cross-compatible sequel model), I have had a lot of experience with this and I've found that my interest wanes when I have to learn all new mechanics/abilities/characters; however, when DT shifts to the mini expansions they are planning! i will certainly pick them up.

Obviously, this is just my opinion, but it's interesting to see a relatively even split so far based on the responses (in a very small sample size).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to buy whatever expansions or sequels to Dungeon Run that come out, that's for sure. The problem with the mini expansions supported by the OP is that they really do not leave room for more tiles, which I think the game really needs. I'd say at least another 12 to 20 tiles to add variety and make the game fully work with 5 and 6 players, not just a special tile or two as mentioned.

A sequel would be great - more of everything. And the sooner the better. Great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Khelz Underworld
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will also buy anything new related to Dungeon Run. The concept is damn great, entertaining, competitive and very modular (and therefore cries for extensions).

What I would appreciate personnally is to have more "stranger" cards, in order to give players the opportunity to accomplish secondary quests. I think those stranger cards are adding a lot to the immersion into the game (it reminds me of the encounters in "Eye of the beholder 2", an old Amiga Game where you had some choices when encountering a non-hostile NPC, and that was adding a lot to the roplaying feel of the game).

For Dungeon Run 2 I'm dreaming of some kind of scenario system that would be integrated with all the existing mechanics of the first game.

In any case, Dungeon Run is already my favourite Dungeon Crawler thanks to the constant interactivity between players, the tiles system and the awesome perks! (The perk and leveling system are perfect imho).

My 2 cents ideas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Funguy wrote:
I think Colby and Mr.Bistro said they were going to come out with Dungeon Run 2 rather than an expansion on their latest podcast. They are doing it for the exact reasons of not running out of base games with expansions still in inventory.

I like the sound of it!

What I would like to see, personally :

- Mostly more of the same
I'd pretty much like DR2 to be really similar to the original, just with different cards and tiles, easily integrated with the original set; no campaign rules or game-changing elements that would make it a longer / more complex game.

- Not-So-Base Tiles
The included set of base tiles could include a slight effect for each in addition to encounter/treasure rolls, so it could function as a stand alone game, while giving some tile variety if mixed up with Dungeon Run 1 (e.g. +1 to Brawn Rolls on that tile, +1 to magic rolls, +1 to Monster attacks, escapes at +1 difficulty, etc.)

- More reasons for the group of heroes to stay close together
Slightly harder monsters/traps, increased incentive to help, to discourage players from hack'n'slashing their way alone on a side corridor

- More reasons to backtrack and revisit old tiles
Monsters pushing you back, wandering monsters starting from the dungeon entrance or unvisited corridors, triggers and mechanisms (see below)

- Mechanisms (Levers, Triggers, etc.).
Cards in the treasure deck that give the hero that reveals them (after a search action) an option to change some parts of the dungeon, e.g move a tile, open/close an access, spawn a monster/a trap somewhere else, reveal a special "treasure cache" tile... Those could be one-use events, or could stay face-up on the tile afterwards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A new standalone set sounds good to me because I want more of everything. I just hope there is an easy way to tell new cards from the old on the face side in case I want to un-mix them (assuming you're supposed to mix the new cards with the old ones at all).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T B
Australia
South Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
More tiles and boss cards please.

CRC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Last Socratic

Rochester
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dystopian wrote:
- Mostly more of the same
I'd pretty much like DR2 to be really similar to the original, just with different cards and tiles, easily integrated with the original set; no campaign rules or game-changing elements that would make it a longer / more complex game.

- Not-So-Base Tiles
The included set of base tiles could include a slight effect for each in addition to encounter/treasure rolls, so it could function as a stand alone game, while giving some tile variety if mixed up with Dungeon Run 1 (e.g. +1 to Brawn Rolls on that tile, +1 to magic rolls, +1 to Monster attacks, escapes at +1 difficulty, etc.)

- More reasons for the group of heroes to stay close together
Slightly harder monsters/traps, increased incentive to help, to discourage players from hack'n'slashing their way alone on a side corridor

- More reasons to backtrack and revisit old tiles
Monsters pushing you back, wandering monsters starting from the dungeon entrance or unvisited corridors, triggers and mechanisms (see below)

- Mechanisms (Levers, Triggers, etc.).
Cards in the treasure deck that give the hero that reveals them (after a search action) an option to change some parts of the dungeon, e.g move a tile, open/close an access, spawn a monster/a trap somewhere else, reveal a special "treasure cache" tile... Those could be one-use events, or could stay face-up on the tile afterwards.

I second the above! I got the game a week ago and have played through four times with 2-6 players. The game needs more tiles and ways to reintroduce encounters on tiles that have already been cleared. I'd like to see more of everything in the sequel. Especially, artifacts, bosses, special tiles and encounters in greater percentages than they occur in the base game. If they could tweak the healing mechanic and maybe even expand the max playable characters to 8 that would be awesome too. Outside of getting lucky it seems like the only way to make it to the endgame with sufficient health to take on the hero-boss is to pair up with someone so the two can each rally from assists, but that also means significantly less treasure and advancing opportunities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Rascon
Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This, definitely, +1'd

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Bistro
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There will be an article on the expansion on the PHG website, sometime in the near future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Bistro
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The timing will coincide with the revamp of the PHG website. Only Colby can say when that will be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Damien Seb. ●leoskyangel●
Malaysia
Bangsar & PJ
flag msg tools
badge
I play games not to win, it's the gathering that's important - Thanks for the tip Cate108!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a long time owner but just played a 3-player game last night. It was great. The game needs expansion so bad, as there's too much air in my box, need to fill that up quickly!

Good to hear about the news Mr. Bistro! Can't wait to see what the expansion has to offer.
- Damien

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Northern Michigan Gamers
United States
Petoskey
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
It's been well over two years since Plaid Hat announced DR2- no news since. Then Mr. Bistro announces that new artwork is "coming soon"- that was 5 months ago now. It's fine if there have been unforeseen hold ups on this project, but don't leave us in the dark about it. All I've seen from Mr. Bistro is empty promises- don't announce a project with no intention of living up to it. I posted a comment addressing my frustration about this on Plaid Hat's website and it was taken down, so I'm commenting here where they can't censor me. I'm through with DR2 and Plaid Hat games in general, moving on to Arcadia Quest- looks like a much better game anyway. If anyone is looking for a copy of Dungeon Run mine will be on E-bay this afternoon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.