5 Posts

Thunderstone» Forums » Variants

Subject: Thunderstone variant - a.k.a Put a little Core Worlds in there rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marc Ethier
msg tools
mb
Played core worlds yesterday and i'm kinda thinking out loud here, so here i go.

When you visit the village, this variant adds an additional optional step in the village between 'Reveal and resolve' and 'purchase' called 'build party'.

In this step you can select non militia heroes and put them down in front of you optionally equiped with one 'thing' (weapon, item, spell etc) and we'll call this the party area.

The only time cards are discarded from the party area is when you optionally chose to involve them in the dungeon, village, either through an attack, use of ability or level up. Point being, if you chose to use the card in any way, in any area, the net effect is you bring the hero and all attached 'stuff' into your hand and these cards now subject to discarding at the end of the turn.

Cards in the party area do not count towards the six cards in your hand.

Heroes in this area are unique. There can never be two of the same heroes in this area, regardless of the level of hero.

Cards you put in your party area can't use their gold value, they've lost their 'gold' abtraction while in the party area. I.E. when you move to purchase, they're no longer 'there' to give you the gold value. At no point can you use the gold value of cards in the party area.

Maybe the party area can only hold heroes of level 2 or higher, indicating they've quested with you enough and are willing to join you for a while.

I'm thinking maybe recruting heroes and weapons should cost you something, maybe one gold per card... or maybe keep it free...

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vayda
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
https://sites.google.com/site/cnjxwing/home
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a cool approach to adding strategy into the luck.

I think it will need to be tested. I see fighting monsters becoming very easy with this variant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Schwarz
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
virferrorum wrote:
I see fighting monsters becoming very easy with this variant.
My thought exactly, but it could be an interesting variant if you create a dungeon deck full with the tougher monsters Thunderstone has to offer...

I like the idea... and yes: It needs some testing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlon de Silva
Australia
Silverwater
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KillerPower wrote:
virferrorum wrote:
I see fighting monsters becoming very easy with this variant.
My thought exactly, but it could be an interesting variant if you create a dungeon deck full with the tougher monsters Thunderstone has to offer...

I like the idea... and yes: It needs some testing!

Hiya.
ashaman771, thanks for coming up with this variant... my boys and I love the game in general, and we're always looking for mechanics to tweak it.

It was easy for us to test this variant, because ours is always in "Epic" mode, so we gave it a few runs-through.

Yeah, the monsters need to be harder. This much became apparent really early. By the time we were on our third game, we were only putting monsters with 3 or more XP into the dungeon. Even then, the party area almost always takes the sting out of these monsters, because you can put cards in the party area to mitigate their particular dungeon/battle effects.

Using this variant, we found ourselves only competing with each other; co-op mode was just too easy.

We ended up using the rule that you could only have one equipped hero in there, and that any cards in the party area reduced the amount of cards in hand. Otherwise, we'd be going to the dungeon with way too many cards to make it an even contest.

If you're interested, we've been trying to evolve a "trophy room" variant: http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/744191/looking-for-opinions-..., to try and keep the pace moving later on in the game; when we added the face-down dungeon cards to your "Party Area" variant, the dungeon regained some of its bite.

Co-Op might be made to work if the dungeon has its own Party Area (perhaps "Horde Area"?) I dunno... like you, I'm thinking out loud. Perhaps too much complication.

Cheers, Marlz.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Ethier
msg tools
mb
The new thunderstone rules now have something similar with the new rules, with the 'prepare' option. It addresses the same issue I was trying to address with this option.

It is much better than my design of course, but i'm glad they recognized sometimes you really want to use that cool hero and you just need to wait a turn to get that axe out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.