Greg Schloesser
United States
Jefferson City
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By: Darren Arnold

Lenny Leo was recently overcome with wild delusions of grandeur, so when it was his turn to select a game, he chose the Warfrog 'Lords of Creation'.

The game proved relatively easy to learn, making it possible to dive into it within 10 minutes. The would-be Gods were Darren Arnold, Lenny Leo, David Shapiro and John Moore. This game suited John Moore well, as he perceives himself a god anyway!

The board set-up was random, being constructed of individual hexagon-shaped pieces. These pieces depict different terrain types, including forests, desert, islands, mountains, plains, etc. The different types of terrain offer different advantages and disadvantages for the player who places his 'people' there.

Islands proved to be a popular form of terrain, as they were isolated from other areas and difficult to attack. Desert spaces, meanwhile, could not be crossed or settled, so served as a movement hindrance, but could also be used as a buffer zone for protection.

The play balance was very fair. Everyone begins by placing 'barbarian' tokens onto the board. These barbarians are allowed to expand into adjacent territories ONLY if it is of the same terrain type. Regardless of terrain type, they can still attack into adjacent areas in order to hinder an opponent's plans. Barbarians can also be advanced to 'civilized' status, which earn two victory points per hex as opposed to the one victory point for hexes populated by barbarians. However, once a hex has been civilized, it can no longer expand or attack. Finally, once a hex has been civilized, it can be used to construct an altar to worship their god (the player), and this hex will earn 3 victory points at game's end.

John and I began this new world with a conflict over what he had termed 'his grasslands' (even though I was there first). I continued my aggressive ways, attacking both Lenny and David whenever possible. The other players, however, pursued a more peaceful approach. Players civilized too quickly, resulting in the game stagnating a bit too much. The border between John and Lenny's people became civilized on both sides due to an agreement, so this effectively eliminated any attacks between the two.

Combat is handled in a very simple fashion, not unlike the method used in History of the World. Attacks were a bit difficult to win, especially if attacking into different terrain. This forced the attacker to roll an '8' or better in order to inflict a casualty. The defender has an even rougher time, as he must roll two dice and beat both the numbers on the individual dice the attacker rolled. For example, if the attacker rolled a 3 and a 5, then the defender must roll at least a 4 and a 6 on his dice in order to inflict a 'hit' upon the attacker.

Unfortunately, I did not roll well on most of my attacks. This luck would hold for all of the games I played in this evening.

John's method of convincing his neighbors to civilize succeeded in isolating him from the rest of the players. This was a winning strategy:

John 48, Lenny 34, David 33, Darren 33

The ratings: Lenny 7, David 6, John 5, Darren 5

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.