Subject: QUESTIONS Band of Brothers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bob Bickart
United States
Seneca
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I'm relatively new to wargaming and have some questions relative to the Band of Brothers rules. Any help would be appreciated.

QUESTIONS

1. Scenario 3 calls for 4 Decoy/Conceal counters for the German. How does the gamer know whether it must be used as a Decoy or as Concealment, or is it his choice?

2. Is Final Opportunity Fire only used when an opponent tries to enter one of your unit’s hexes to Melee?

3. Must a unit forgo movement and/or firing in the Operations Phase and mark itself for Op Fire in order to Op Fire later in the Game Turn?

4. In which of the 4 game phases can Op Fire occur?

5. A U.S. unit enters the same unit occupied by a German and Assault fires. The German survives. Does the German (in its Operations Phase) get to fire at the American before the Melee begins?

I think the answer is: Only if marked for Op Fire. Is this correct?

6. This question is intended for designer Jim Kronin. I’m thinking about trying to create a beach landing scenario, but I’m wondering if you didn’t include such a scenario because it doesn’t lend itself to the system. Would it work with the BOB system?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Krohn
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.
badge
Ahhh....my misspent youth...
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. Scenario 3 calls for 4 Decoy/Conceal counters for the German. How does the gamer know whether it must be used as a Decoy or as Concealment, or is it his choice?

They are all decoys. The German may then set up all of his units concealed if they qualify.

Quote:
2. Is Final Opportunity Fire only used when an opponent tries to enter one of your unit’s hexes to Melee?

No. It is used whenever a unit moves adjacent to you. They may eventually move into your hex or they may not. You still get to shoot at them (if you pass your Prof check).

Quote:
3. Must a unit forgo movement and/or firing in the Operations Phase and mark itself for Op Fire in order to Op Fire later in the Game Turn?

It is not for a later game turn. Each turn, during the Operations Phase, a unit can move, fire, or be marked as Op Fire. If marked Op Fire, it means that they get a modifier to their Prof Check when Op Firing that turn.

Quote:
4. In which of the 4 game phases can Op Fire occur?

Only in the Operations Phase. During that phase, both players alternate using units within their Operations Range until both players have used all of their units.

Quote:
5. A U.S. unit enters the same unit occupied by a German and Assault fires. The German survives. Does the German (in its Operations Phase) get to fire at the American before the Melee begins?

Okay. A little confusion here. You can never fire at a unit in the same hex. That means that the US unit must either stop in an adjacent hex and assault fire or move into the hex and melee. The same unit can not do both.

Quote:
I think the answer is: Only if marked for Op Fire. Is this correct?

Well, they can't shoot at a unit in the same hex. If it wasn't in the same hex, any unused unit can attempt Op Fire. If it was marked Op Fire, it would also get a modifier to its Proficiency.

Quote:
6. This question is intended for designer Jim Kronin. I’m thinking about trying to create a beach landing scenario, but I’m wondering if you didn’t include such a scenario because it doesn’t lend itself to the system. Would it work with the BOB system?

I did not include one because the game is about the 101st and they never stormed the beaches! I think it should work fine. It is a possibility that one will be included when I do The Old Breed (about the 1st Marines), but I have not done the research on that yet so I don't know.

If you come up with something, share it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Bickart
United States
Seneca
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Thanks very much for responding so quickly. Especially on a weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.