Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Or are you basically allowed to "keep track" of which blocks are which once you have seen them?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg M
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are no rules either way.

I've gotten into the habit of ending engagements by tipping my deployed blocks up, then restacking randomly. It makes my forces "invisible" again if the stack splits, and keeps opponants from deducing whether I have more of a given clan to deploy based on where the block is in my army.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
I highly doubt that Matt intended for there to be a metagame of memorizing block placements in the opponent's stacks, creating a bunch of little mini shell-games. As long as you keep all blocks in the same location, I can't see any reason why a shuffle would ever be disallowed.

But if what the OP is asking is "Can I move swap a few blocks from Location A and Location B at any time, maintaining the same stack sizes at each location after the transfer, to prevent my opponent from knowing which blocks are situated at which locations?" then the answer is a very definite no. I assume that's not the question, but the OP is fairly vague.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
But if what the OP is asking is "Can I move swap a few blocks from Location A and Location B at any time, maintaining the same stack sizes at each location after the transfer, to prevent my opponent from knowing which blocks are situated at which locations?" then the answer is a very definite no. I assume that's not the question, but the OP is fairly vague.

Definitely not asking that. It's just that some block games make a point to say when shuffling is performed/allowed. For example, when you bring in a reinforcement, can you do a shuffle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
jrebelo wrote:

Definitely not asking that. It's just that some block games make a point to say when shuffling is performed/allowed. For example, when you bring in a reinforcement, can you do a shuffle?

I guess we'd need to get clarification from the designer. Personally I would allow shuffling at any time at all. The only exception is that blocks brought on (which are not allowed to move) are best kept standing on end for the turn as a reminder that they cannot leave that location.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Calkins
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Blocks not viewable to the opponent (i.e. with their faces turned away from the opponent) are meant to be indistinguishable. Thus, shuffling is fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Szegedi
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
ekted wrote:
jrebelo wrote:

I guess we'd need to get clarification from the designer. Personally I would allow shuffling at any time at all. The only exception is that blocks brought on (which are not allowed to move) are best kept standing on end for the turn as a reminder that they cannot leave that location.

quick question... when you deploy a block as a reinforcement, I know it can't move but can the rest of the blocks where you deployed move as the reinforced block stays behind?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
holywolfman wrote:

quick question... when you deploy a block as a reinforcement, I know it can't move but can the rest of the blocks where you deployed move as the reinforced block stays behind?

Yes
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Larsen
Denmark
Naerum (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, not allowing to shuffle the blocks (in any block game), would seriously detract from the concept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Nip
Hong Kong
Taipo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm... I can't think of a block-wargame that doesn't allow shuffling...
(I'm a very green wargamer, though. ninjaninjaninja)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
John Coltrane - Both Directions At Once: The Lost Album
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
holywolfman wrote:

That's a case where courtesy would dictate that you didn't reinforce, then shuffle, then move. I'd clearly separate any reinforcement blocks when I placed them, and only merge with others in the area after movement is completed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Nip
Hong Kong
Taipo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My practice: Finish all Stack moves first. Then move the Mustered blocks to the Recruitment location. There would be no confusion. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fritz Mulnar
Germany
Bremen
not Bavaria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1rr1tated wrote:
There are no rules either way.

I've gotten into the habit of ending engagements by tipping my deployed blocks up, then restacking randomly. It makes my forces "invisible" again if the stack splits, and keeps opponants from deducing whether I have more of a given clan to deploy based on where the block is in my army.

same here

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.