Gears of War: The Board Game» Forums » Variants

Subject: "On Guard" variant rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xavier GALLERI
France
Montigny-le-Bretonneux
flag msg tools
I like the area abstraction for the movement rules, but I found it to have a big counter-intuitive side effect with regards to LOS.

Indeed, since LOS is merely drawn between any points between two areas and only blocked by walls, this leads to strange situation where a Locust can fire at COG through several doors and rooms without any penalty (whilst COG still have the Range penalty to limit them).

I would expect that COG could benefit from at least a light cover (+1 Defence die) in such situations, wouldn't you?

To cope with that, I propose a variant that allows any COG that is not under cover to "stay on his guard" instead of remaining an easy target. This might provide a "light cover" like bonus to the cost of less efficient attack.

The proposed rules are as follows:

Quote:
- Any COG that ends its movement *not* under cover could decide to "stay on his guard". Use any token beside or under the COG model to represent its new "On Guard" status.

- When an "On Guard" COG is attacked by a Locust from a distant area, check if you could draw a Blocked LOS(*) between the two areas. In that case, the COG benefits from a +1 Defence die.

- When an "On Guard" COG attacks a Locust into a distant area, check if you could draw a Blocked LOS(*) between the two areas. In that case, the COG attack is impaired by a -1 Attack die (which is more restrictive than a +1 Defence die for the Locust). 0 die means no attack is possible.

- When an "On Guard" COG makes a Guard or Dodge reaction, the corresponding effect applies in a cumulative manner with the reaction effect, but the "On Guard" status is lost then. Remove the "On Guard" token.

- When a COG makes a Follow reaction, he could choose to end his movement "On Guard" or not, no matter his previous status.

(*) A "Blocked LOS" is any valid LOS that crosses a wall.

Applying the "On Guard" rule both when a COG is attacked and when he is attacking represents the fact that taking less risk to be safer implies more difficulties to target the ennemy.

I found it more realistic that way and expect it to preserve the game balance too.

To finish, I would say that, even if I did not encounter all possible situations yet (since my idea is very recent ), my preliminary testings are quite convincing.

What do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jackson

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: "Stay on Guard" variant
I use only the official core rules, but I know that others use variants. Your variant seems solid and easily workable. That is one of the great aspects of this game, it is variant friendly. So, if this makes the game a better experience for you, I say go for it and have fun. Yeah, LOS is a little abstract, and it seems strange that a Locust can move two areas toward you and attack, while your COG just watchs, so a Guard Variant makes sense to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Falcon2 wrote:
[...]it seems strange that a Locust can move two areas toward you and attack, while your COG just watchs[...]

I thought you could react using Guard after any movement or action of a Locust, so you could shoot it as it approaches (but only once per "turn").

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Jackson

Illinois
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oops, You are right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike oldham
United States
lake station
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
Falcon2 wrote:
[...]it seems strange that a Locust can move two areas toward you and attack, while your COG just watchs[...]

I thought you could react using Guard after any movement or action of a Locust, so you could shoot it as it approaches (but only once per "turn").

i think its before a locust moves

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.