Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Old News
Croatia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Has anyone tried a 3 player variant ?
How does it feel ?

Is it better than MTG 3 player variants ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Well, I haven't actually tried it, but if you haven't already seen them the official multiplayer rules are here: http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/coc/support/co...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Never tried it. I suspect however you do it it's going to feel substantially different than a normal game though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
We commonly play 3 or even 4 player games. In fact, I'd say multi-player is now my preferred way of playing Call of Cthulhu. We use the official multi-player rules from FFG, though I'm interested in trying out the French variants developed by Le Cenacle Chthonien.

The game play doesn't feel too different from the standard one-on-one set up, but it does take a little bit longer, and that can impact certain deck strategies and favor higher cost characters.

While I haven't played Magic in a long, long time, when I did we almost always played 3+ people. From what I can remember, CoC multi-player is far more enjoyable. Compared to other multi-player card games I regularly play, one thing I like about CoC is the lack of an early elimination (save for being decked) - everyone has a chance at victory until that 3rd story card is won.

One thing we've had to consider, however, is blocking priority. The official rules state that you declare blocking in a simple, clockwise fashion. This can lead to some players losing their invested success tokens on a story because they didn't get a chance to block (i.e. a player ahead of them in the order chose to block, but didn't defend the story where they had success tokens at). At this time, we're experimenting with a house rule where the player with the most success tokens threatened gets to choose whether they want to block or not, then it goes to clockwise order.

Also, the official multi-player rules state you need 3 sets of story cards. This isn't the case at all. You only need to use 1 set (it's actually less confusing that way). To differentiate each players' success tokens, we use colored counters from FFG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.