Popular Tags: [View All]
Eddie Meister
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do the GMT trays fit into Avalon Hill boxes? A lot of my counters are in bags and I'd like to switch to trays to speed up setup. The GMT trays seem pretty narrow, which is great. Could I fit two into a standard AH box?
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Shipley
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
the liberal unsavory type
mbmbmbmbmb
No, the old AH boxes are only 8" wide, so don't fit the GMT trays. I think the Chessex trays are more like the old AH ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know the dimensions of the AH boxes, but I just measured a stack of two full GMT trays: 283mm x 220 x 30mm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy of Raid on St. Nazaire has a Chessex tray in it, and I just tried a GMT tray and the answer is no, they don't fit inside a standard AH box. They're a bit too wide.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sims
Australia
Kangaroo Flat
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT trays can be easilly trimmed slightly to reduce their width. I'm not at home now to double check but I think they can be reduced by about 4mm per side i.e 8mm total.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Both sides of a GMT tray can be trimmed without losing any of there "gripability" but when cutting out use a craft knife rather than scissors because the wells of the tray tend to push the scissors towards the edge creating an uneven cut.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siege_of_Barcelona_(1713–14)
badge
https://spanishpolice.github.io
mbmbmbmbmb
I've trimmed several GMT trays to fit them in AH boxes, though the result is no way perfect. Maybe because I did use scissors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
For Avalon Hill Bookcase Games, I pursue the old counter trays that were published by West End Games. They fit in the box without any work, have a removable, overlapping lid which is superior to the hinged designs of the AH and Chessex trays, and have 20 wells instead of 16.

I'd guess that I have 30-40 of them throughout my collection. I would buy them every time I saw them in the FLGS I used to visit in the 90's. Amazes me that the owner didn't catch on enough to get more in stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Wagnon
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Cybertronic: Superior by design.
mbmbmbmbmb
The Chessex trays fit nicely. However, I do like to seperate the lid from the counter tray, as there is a tendency to "catapult" counters when you are holding the lid open.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.