Arkham Horror» Forums » Rules

Subject: Sealing Gates - Permanent? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Smith
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
I don't understand something...on the page for the Dunwich Horror expansion, it says

"Gates are no longer permanently sealed (a popular house rule in the base game)."

That's not a house rule. In the game rules it clearly says:

"If an investigator successfully closes a gate, he may immediately spend five Clue tokens to permanently seal it. The player takes a doom token from the pile of unused doom tokens, turns it over to its elder sign side, and places the token on the gate location. The player still claims the gate marker as a trophy. The gate is now sealed: No further gates can open and no monsters can appear at the location of the sealed gate for the remainder of the game."

So what's up. Is the first quoted section a reference to something besides sealed gates? It seems like it would be almost impossible to win with the 6 elder signs on the board rule if gates could open up after being sealed, so I think this "house rule" (not really) is the better way to play the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holsety wrote:
I don't understand something...on the page for the Dunwich Horror expansion, it says

"Gates are no longer permanently sealed (a popular house rule in the base game)."

That's not a house rule. In the game rules it clearly says:

You've read it backwards to the intended meaning, I think. It's saying that a popular house rule for the base game was to have gates that were not permanently sealed (as opposed to the "sealed for all time" of the original).

Gate bursts are rare enough in Dunwich, incidentally, that the majority of the seals you get will last for the rest of the game, so it remains quite possible to win by sealing. But it gets a little harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul S
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorks
flag msg tools
DARK IN HERE, ISN'T IT?
mbmbmbmbmb
Dunwich introduces the idea of "Gate Bursts".

So the "no longer perma-sealed" rule is correct.

It's one of the things that makes a DH version of AH much tougher.

Edit - what cim said, 3 seconds earlier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.C.Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So one of the complaints levelled at the base game is that once you have 4 Gates Sealed then you're pretty much coasting in for a win and the pressure is off. Whereas what you really want is for the pressure to pile on in the last stages of the game. Gate Bursts occur in all expansions and they really can pile on the pressure in the end game because just as you run out of Clues a Gate you thought Sealed bursts open! Hurrah! More pressure.

If you're finding the base game too easy, try a small box expansion to add Gate Bursts and some other nastiness. Or buy Miskatonic 'cos it really shakes up even the base (with Gate Bursts and other delights); it's a worthwhile investement that you'll get more from every time you buy another expansion (and you will... you will... mwah-hah-hah-ha-hah goo)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mccrispy wrote:
Gate Bursts occur in all expansions

Except for CotDP and KiY, though they have other ways to keep the pressure on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin 'Rocky' Robertson
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
Now a Sarf London boy!
mbmbmbmbmb
More Pressure, you're saying I need more pressure!

I'm already at 8-11 on the win/loss I don't need more pressure, but it's a a great game and the more people dive into it the better it gets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Norris
United States
Southbridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also a rumor card in the base set that, when failed, removes all elder sign tokens from the game board, unsealing previously sealed gates. I believe it is entitled "good work undone".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.