Wargames» Forums » General

Subject: HMS Indefatigable rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Stephen Jacobs
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I wonder if anyone can help. I am looking for a wargame which contains a counter for the British aircraft carrier HMS Indefatigable. She served in the British Pacific Fleet between 1944-45. Her full battle honours can be found here:
[geekurl=http://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Chrono-04CV-Indefatigable.htm][/geekurl]

She was the first British ship to be hit by a kamikaze. Unlike her American counterparts she had a steel deck. Flying was resumed less than an hour later, vastly impressing Indefatigable's US Navy liaison officer: "When a kamikaze hits a US carrier," he said, "it's six months repair at Pearl. In a Limey carrier, it's 'Sweepers, man your brooms'."

My Grandfather served on the Indefatigable during the war. He passed away a number of years ago but I thought it would be nice to have a game with his ship. The game does not need to be that good!

Many thanks for any help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
There is ONE for such within this: War at Sea 2 arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
VG's Pacific War:

On the right half of the sheet, 7th row from the top, on the far right side is the Indefatigable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genghis Ahn
United States
San Clemente
California
flag msg tools
Sometimes You Are Wrong !
badge
Coolest Promo Ever ! Stonewall Lives
mbmbmbmbmb
The Command at Sea Series by Clash of Arms
The Second World War at Sea series by Avalanche Press
Cars at Sea Expansion to Naval War

You might be interested in this book !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wulf Corbett
Scotland
Shotts
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Genghisx wrote:
While I would have assumed it was in that series, I can't find it...

EDIT: I have discovered it is in there, but it's in Second World War at Sea: Leyte Gulf, which I don't have (and given that it's out of print, and was always horrendously expensive, I probably never will...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Jacobs
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Many thanks to you all. I appreciate the help
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Daglish
United Kingdom
Cheadle
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The husband of a friend was an Avenger pilot on Indefat. He was mentioned in despatches in 1945 for getting a bomb on a Japanese warship. His squadron was clearly a "posh" one, joining the hot war somewhat late after assignments in places such as Connecticut, Cape Town, Kenya and Ceylon, which all featured rugby and cricket as well as the beautiful daughters of local magnates, to whose homes, as RN officer aircrew, they were inevitably whisked. By land he'd typically fly ASW patrol. On one such mission he suffered an engine failure over the Bay of Bengal, where he bobbed about in balmy conditions for a few hours until he was missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edmund Hon
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wulf Corbett wrote:
Genghisx wrote:
While I would have assumed it was in that series, I can't find it...

EDIT: I have discovered it is in there, but it's in Second World War at Sea: Leyte Gulf, which I don't have (and given that it's out of print, and was always horrendously expensive, I probably never will...)

Left half of the sheet, 2nd row from top, in the middle of the row.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stephen451 wrote:
I wonder if anyone can help. I am looking for a wargame which contains a counter for the British aircraft carrier HMS Indefatigable. She served in the British Pacific Fleet between 1944-45. Her full battle honours can be found here:
[geekurl=http://www.naval-history.net/xGM-Chrono-04CV-Indefatigable.htm][/geekurl]

She was the first British ship to be hit by a kamikaze. Unlike her American counterparts she had a steel deck. Flying was resumed less than an hour later, vastly impressing Indefatigable's US Navy liaison officer: "When a kamikaze hits a US carrier," he said, "it's six months repair at Pearl. In a Limey carrier, it's 'Sweepers, man your brooms'."

My Grandfather served on the Indefatigable during the war. He passed away a number of years ago but I thought it would be nice to have a game with his ship. The game does not need to be that good!

Many thanks for any help.

A bit OT, but yes, the steel deck made a huge difference. My father was on the Indefatigable and had been on top not long before the kamikaze strike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael K.
Netherlands
flag msg tools
badge
Hoe, hoe, hee, hee!!? Zo werkt dat niet!!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Ships in Flames expansion for World in Flames contains the Indefatigable as well (top row on the left, 9th counter).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.