Asia Engulfed» Forums » Rules

Subject: The Yourand Question Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jarek Westermark
msg tools
mb
Hey!
I've just played AE for the first time. Had a blast, although we managed to complete only 3 turns ;]. My experience with EE is showing and I dont have many rules questions, but some arose and more are sure to come so I set up this thread.
Onward!
1. Ground units and LBAs can move into sea zones only in the naval movement phase. They can land in frienly territory duriht operational movement, or wait until rebasing and then move to a port 2 spaces away. Is all of that correct?

2. When troop transports (carrying ground units and LBAs) rebase, ground units enter the area which has the port, not the port itself (as fleets do). Correct?

3. When units strat-move, they must stop at a sea zone bordering a sea zone with at least limited enemy influence. Correct?

4. What is the difference exactly between strat-moving LBA's using sea transport, and just flying over areas?

5. Only air units from Carriers and nearby areas can attack a fleet which is in port. Correct?

6. What exactly is the procedure when a port containing a fleet becomes damaged in an attack?

7. If a ground unit enters an area containin only an enemy LBA, when is the LBA destroyed? In the op movement phase, or the ground combat phase?

8. The Japanese do not spend oil to rebase fleets that already moved that turn. Correct?

9. When conducting a naval battle: the roll dictates day combat. LBAs come into play during the second turn of this combat. After the battle is resoved completaly (including submarines), the players choose the combat method again (night/day/evade). Correct? (or does the battle end then and there and is only continued when a tie is rolled?)

10. When, after two turns of day combat, another day combat is rolles, do LBAS appear at once, or do they once again participate in the second turn of battle only?

11. Can a unit leave a contested coastal space in the operation move phase and move into a sea space? Can it do so if there is limited enemy influence there?

12. Influence is calculated at once, as soon as the situation changes. There is no "influence calculating stage". Correct?

Thats it so far!
Loving the game, thanks so much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yourand wrote:
Hey!
I've just played AE for the first time. Had a blast, although we managed to complete only 3 turns ;]. My experience with EE is showing and I dont have many rules questions, but some arose and more are sure to come so I set up this thread.
Onward!
1. Ground units and LBAs can move into sea zones only in the naval movement phase. They can land in frienly territory duriht operational movement, or wait until rebasing and then move to a port 2 spaces away. Is all of that correct?

Correct.

Quote:
2. When troop transports (carrying ground units and LBAs) rebase, ground units enter the area which has the port, not the port itself (as fleets do). Correct?

Correct. Ports can only be occupied by fleets.

Quote:
3. When units strat-move, they must stop at a sea zone bordering a sea zone with at least limited enemy influence. Correct?

Not quite. They may not enter an area with enemy influence, but they don't necessarily have to stop next door.

Quote:
4. What is the difference exactly between strat-moving LBA's using sea transport, and just flying over areas?

There are only minor differences. Using naval movement costs the Japanese a transport-point. On the other hand, naval movement can get you across broad stretches of water (for example, from USA to Hawaii), which you can't do flying. Naval move is hindered by enemy influence, which flying is not. Flying is hindered by enemy-occupied territory, which naval is not.

Quote:
5. Only air units from Carriers and nearby areas can attack a fleet which is in port. Correct?

Correct.

Quote:
6. What exactly is the procedure when a port containing a fleet becomes damaged in an attack?

Could you be more specific? I'm not sure what your question is.

Quote:
7. If a ground unit enters an area containin only an enemy LBA, when is the LBA destroyed? In the op movement phase, or the ground combat phase?

I think it's in the op-movement phase, but I'm not absolutely sure. Why?

Quote:
8. The Japanese do not spend oil to rebase fleets that already moved that turn. Correct?

Correct.

Quote:
9. When conducting a naval battle: the roll dictates day combat. LBAs come into play during the second turn of this combat. After the battle is resoved completaly (including submarines), the players choose the combat method again (night/day/evade). Correct? (or does the battle end then and there and is only continued when a tie is rolled?)

You've got it. Keep intercepting until one side evades or is destroyed.

Quote:
10. When, after two turns of day combat, another day combat is rolles, do LBAS appear at once, or do they once again participate in the second turn of battle only?

Second turn only.

Quote:
11. Can a unit leave a contested coastal space in the operation move phase and move into a sea space? Can it do so if there is limited enemy influence there?

Yes to both, I think, though it would have to stop there if there's enemy influence.

Quote:
12. Influence is calculated at once, as soon as the situation changes. There is no "influence calculating stage". Correct?

Correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Westermark
msg tools
mb
Thanks very much for the answers!

ad 3. I'm pretty sure the rules state you need to stop as soon as you reach a zone adjecent to a zone with limited enemy influence... as ber 5.23. How do you read it?

ad 4. same as above, I do think flyin is hindered by enemy influence quite a bit...

ad 6. An enemy fleet is in port, I attack the port and damage it. Does the enemy fleet need to leave the port? When?

ad 7. If it happens in the op move, I can strat-move my units into the newly cleared area. If in combat phase, I can't.

EDIT: got some new ones! I wanna try the japanese surprise round next time.

13. rule 9.1 c) "first round of the Air & Naval combat phase" refers to both rounds of day combat after the first roll-of, or both of 'em, before the second roll-off for the kind of battle?

14. WHen strat-moving CBAs from the orphan box, do I need to tell my oponent which route the units are taking (thus letting them know where my carriers are)? I ask as the rules state CBAs can't strat move through or into limited influence zones).

Once again, many thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Westermark
msg tools
mb
bumpity bump :]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Carroll
United States
Urbana
Illinois
flag msg tools
Soli Deo Gloria!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yourand wrote:
ad 3. I'm pretty sure the rules state you need to stop as soon as you reach a zone adjecent to a zone with limited enemy influence... as ber 5.23. How do you read it?

No, 5.23 regards areas, i.e. land; not zones, which are sea. But I will admit that I'd forgotten that aspect of the rule.

Quote:
ad 4. same as above, I do think flyin is hindered by enemy influence quite a bit...

OK, you're right on that one. I must have been thinking of operational movement across sea-zones.

Quote:
ad 6. An enemy fleet is in port, I attack the port and damage it. Does the enemy fleet need to leave the port? When?

I'm not sure on that one. According to 8.71, damaged ports do not function for fleet movement into them, but it doesn't say it hinders fleets already occupying the port, so I'd guess they don't need to leave. Again, though, I'm not entirely sure.

Quote:
ad 7. If it happens in the op move, I can strat-move my units into the newly cleared area. If in combat phase, I can't.

It says they are eliminated "immediately," and it doesn't count as a combat, so I think it happens during op movement and you can strat-move in.

Quote:
13. rule 9.1 c) "first round of the Air & Naval combat phase" refers to both rounds of day combat after the first roll-of, or both of 'em, before the second roll-off for the kind of battle?

I don't think so. A day combat consists of two rounds (8.42), so the bonus is just for the first half of a day combat.

Quote:
14. WHen strat-moving CBAs from the orphan box, do I need to tell my oponent which route the units are taking (thus letting them know where my carriers are)? I ask as the rules state CBAs can't strat move through or into limited influence zones).

This is a gamesmanship issue between you and your opponent. I would say no, but I only play with people I trust not to cheat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Phelps
United States
Canal Fulton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yourand wrote:

The real question is when does control of the area change, not when is the LBA destroyed. And the answer to that question depends on how the ground unit entered the area. If it walked in, then control changes immediately (regardless of the presence of the LBA). If it entered via Amphibious Invasion or Airborne Assault, then control would not change until the end of the Ground Combat Phase. See 3.25.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Green Hobbit
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
others wrote:
..... 3. When units strat-move, they must stop at a sea zone bordering a sea zone with at least limited enemy influence. Correct?

Not quite. They may not enter an area with enemy influence, but they don't necessarily have to stop next door.

BUT SOMETIMES THEY DO HAVE TO STOP NEXT DOOR -
Rule 5.23:" .... Units using seatransport
and air units flying across sea-zones [5.13] during a stratmove
may not enter, pass through, or leave a sea-zone where the
enemy player has limited or dominant influence [8.13]. They may
enter an area that borders such a zone, but must end their strat-move
in that area if they entered by sea-transport [5.32] or by flying across
a sea-zone [5.22]."

WHICH MEANS:
Units using sea transport and air units flying across sea-zones [5.13] during a strat move may enter an area that borders an enemy influence sea zone but must end their strat-move in that area if they entered by sea-transport [5.32] or by flying across a sea-zone [5.22].

COMMON EXAMPLE FROM PLAY:
Allies have LBA in Darwin which influences the Banda Sea. The Banda Sea is adjacent to Papua. Japan can strat move to Papua BUT NO FURTHER. That is, it cannot proceed overland to Lae.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Green Hobbit
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
others wrote:
Quote:

Could you be more specific? I'm not sure what your question is.

DAMAGED PORTS have no effect on fleets IN port. fleets may not REBASE to damaged ports.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Green Hobbit
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
others wrote:

Quote:

There are only minor differences. Using naval movement costs the Japanese a transport-point. On the other hand, naval movement can get you across broad stretches of water (for example, from USA to Hawaii), which you can't do flying. Naval move is hindered by enemy influence, which flying is not. Flying is hindered by enemy-occupied territory, which naval is not.

PRACTICALLY SPEAKING - there are only two sea zones which an LBA can not air strat over: Western Seaboard (off USA) and Cape of Good Hope (off of South Africa). SO LBAs in USA or SA must use sea strat to start move.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Green Hobbit
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
others wrote:

Quote:

Rule 5.46 is pretty clear: If an LBA unit ever finds itself alone in an area with an enemy ground unit, the LBA unit is immediately eliminated (this is not considered a combat).

HOWEVER per 3.25 if the area was entered in an amphibiuos invasion then you CAN'T START MOVE there this turn as it is not controled until AFTER ground combat phase.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Green Hobbit
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
others wrote:

Quote:

Yes to both, I think, though it would have to stop there if there's enemy influence.

BUT you MUST CONTROL the area from which you wish to sea transport from [5.31]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Green Hobbit
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
others wrote:

Quote:

This is a gamesmanship issue between you and your opponent. I would say no, but I only play with people I trust not to cheat!

As long as it is a legal move, just move the CBA from the orphan box to one of the CV holding boxes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Westermark
msg tools
mb

15. Can Commonwealth LBAs support american troops and vice versa? I don't see anything in the rulebook/faq to contradict this...
16. If I loose Kyushu, all my units in China are OOS. Correct?
17. If two CBA's are hit for 2 damage, can they both be reduced to cadres, or do you have to remove one of them?
18. How can the allies retake Shanghai (as they can operate in them), if they can't enter the sea area?
19. Allied units cant enter china even if she is conquered. Correct?
20. If I pair up my japanese elite cruiser and a regular cruiser against the oponents ship and he scores a hit, who chooses which of my cruisers gets hit?
21. What constitues a supplied sea zone (for the allies)?
22. Where is it stated that OOS marines cannont perform naval invasions?

Just playing now, new problems arise, hence the edits :]
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Łukasz 'farmer'
Poland
Oleśnica
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ad 15
Yes, they can.

Ad 16
Manchukuo and French Indochina are partial supply sources - if IJA troops in China are connected to one of those two regions, they have partial supply

Ad 17
You can reduce bouth CBA's

Ad 18
Using China's Nationalists troops.

Ad 19
Correct

Ad 20
ELite troops always take casulties first.

Ad 21
It's every zone with connection to Supply Source (imagine, that Alies have supply-ships-markers on EVERY single sea-zone on the board, with only exception for zones with Dominant Japan Influence and those cutted by those zones)

Ad 22
Any units (including marines) can't perform naval invasions if being OOS - it's general rule.

PS
Sorry for my englisch.

yours,
farm
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jarek Westermark
msg tools
mb
Thanks man, awesome!
One question remains, ad 16 really, do VPs in partial supply count towards Japanese victory?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Green Hobbit
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yourand wrote:
Thanks man, awesome!
One question remains, ad 16 really, do VPs in partial supply count towards Japanese victory?

NO they must be in full supply.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Forest Green Hobbit
United States
Montpelier
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yourand wrote:

15. Can Commonwealth LBAs support american troops and vice versa? I don't see anything in the rulebook/faq to contradict this...

NO - Air units can only support same nationality

Rule: "6.51 .... Each air unit supports only
one ground unit of the same nationality, ...."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.