Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
richard dibello
United States
dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Since there is no stacking allowed, what happens when a unit is forced to retreat and he is surrounded by his OWN units two hexes deep on all sides?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Bauer
United States
Reading
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Waste Water too
badge
Mid-Atlantic Air Museum
mbmbmbmbmb
From page8 column2 under the DR explanation:
"The retreating unit may not end its retreat in a hex occupied by another friendly unit, and may retreat farther than two hexes in order to reach an empty hex."

Of course if any these extra retreat hexes is in enemy ZoC then the unit loses a step just as a normal retreat hex.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard

This falls under the DR(defender Retreats) rule on page 8(under the CRT shown)

The retreating unit may not end its retreat in a hex occupied by another friendly unit,and "May" retreat further than the two hexes in order to reach an empty hex

So it can retreat 3 hexes if it has too in your example

As a side note.I help playtest Frank Chadwick's Campaign in Russia series of games for VPG(Victory Point Games) and they use basically the same system.
The greatest improvement is that stacking is allowed- 2 Corps size units or 1 Army and 1 Corps.

I have used that stacking rule for this game and it really makes a difference(I could never understand no stacking at the scale that this game was using and it's just not logical at all with mainly corps size units for the Axis).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim Meints
United States
Waterloo
Iowa
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
loL-I see Patrick was typing the same thing at the same time I was

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard dibello
United States
dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you for the quick reply, Patrick! It's cool to see that someone else is enjoying this older game! One other question, if you know...Say a unit gets attacked by two enemy units each of which are in hexes above and below him (thus exerting a ZOC all around him), if the combat result is a DRL or Ex, does this always eliminate him?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
richard dibello
United States
dillsburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the reference Kim. Hey, I like your idea about the stacking a lot and will give that a try on the next game. It should really help clear-up all of those traffic jams!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Brown
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
rule question on advances
Am enjoying this game but the ability to move directly from ZOC to ZOC can lead to 'gamey' play viz to exploit a gap the nearest unit moves 1 hex sideways into the empty hex leaving a space in its on lines. No worries, the next unit along just sidesteps into the space and so on down the line until a 2 deep part is reached and the spare unit can fill the space.

More like an 'ooze' than a breakthrough. Now it apoears legal as per the rukes but is that how WW2 armies exploited gaps in enemy lines I.e. by shifting laterally across the front whilst in contact with the enemy?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.