Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeremy Fredin
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group hasn't picked up SoS yet, but we were debating if we should mix it with all the other cards or just one of the other sets. Wondered if anyone had played around with how diffrent combonations of sets changes the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runcible Spoon
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcherAve wrote:
My group hasn't picked up SoS yet, but we were debating if we should mix it with all the other cards or just one of the other sets. Wondered if anyone had played around with how diffrent combonations of sets changes the game.

I think that is a good question and I am in the same position.

I have SoS on the way and I too ahve been debating the "To mix or not mix" questions.

I have a feeling I'll just end up mix them in but others might have feel differently about this. Of course at the end of the day it is mostly a matter of preference as far as the casual gamer goes. I suppose if you were into competing at tournaments etc. then the constraints imposed by that environment might dictate your choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
The idea seems to be that SoS is a new base game, as evidenced by its new accompanying deck box, and will get its own expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My understanding was the intention with SoS was that it (and the next expansion) would be considered as a "complete set" -- and that the base game and Fallen are considered to be another "complete set".

Which is not to say that one cannot mix all three together, only that that more one does, the more diluted the card pool becomes. Additionally, the cards from the first two boxed sets -- if I'm remembering correctly -- are designed to work together, allowing for some interesting gameplay possibilities. SoS and the next set should continue this trend.

Unless I'm mistaken or things have changed, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fredin
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ohbalto wrote:
My understanding was the intention with SoS was that it (and the next expansion) would be considered as a "complete set" -- and that the base game and Fallen are considered to be another "complete set".

Which is not to say that one cannot mix all three together, only that that more one does, the more diluted the card pool becomes. Additionally, the cards from the first two boxed sets -- if I'm remembering correctly -- are designed to work together, allowing for some interesting gameplay possibilities. SoS and the next set should continue this trend.

Unless I'm mistaken or things have changed, etc.

That is a relief. When my group started talking about mixing them all together I was worred that the new set would be watered down. Is there any official word on this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Leath
United States
OH
flag msg tools
badge
fyeahgamesandgrub.tumblr.com
mbmbmbmbmb
SOS is indeed a standalone, meant to be mixed with another smaller expansion to be released at a lated date TBD. However, Gary Games does encourage players to make their own custom cubes. There have been a few posted on the main Ascension site as well as their Facebook page.

The big thing that I've seen so far is making a singleton/highlander deck with a bunch of 1-ofs. The ones I've played have been pretty fun.

Should be noted that, while you CAN add all 3 sets together, it makes for a pretty unwieldy portal deck and decreases the probability of the new event cards as well as "nerfing" cards like Nemesis that rely on certain mechanics (like trophy) to be available in larger quantities
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't own SoS yet, but I have it on preorder and I've played it several times with friends. One of my friends argues that SoS should not be mixed with other sets because events would be really infrequent (and probably there would be some other balancing issues). But I like variety and I think I will be mixing sets using the following idea:

1. Set aside 5 event cards.
2. Shuffle together the rest of the portal cards from all three sets and take roughly 100 cards from that mixed deck.
3. Shuffle 5 event cards into this deck of 100 cards to form a portal deck.

This will result in a reasonably sized portal deck with cards from all 3 sets and with 5 events in it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fredin
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whisperhand wrote:
Gary Games does encourage players to make their own custom cubes. There have been a few posted on the main Ascension site as well as their Facebook page.

Oh, I like this. I'll have to check these out.

magnitt wrote:
I will be mixing sets using the following idea:

1. Set aside 5 event cards.
2. Shuffle together the rest of the portal cards from all three sets and take roughly 100 cards from that mixed deck.
3. Shuffle 5 event cards into this deck of 100 cards to form a portal deck.

This will result in a reasonably sized portal deck with cards from all 3 sets and with 5 events in it.

This seems like the most straight forward way to do it. You must really like the event cards to double the probability that they come up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikhail Kruzhkov
Russia
Moscow
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ArcherAve wrote:
This seems like the most straight forward way to do it. You must really like the event cards to double the probability that they come up!

I thought the original portal deck in SoS was 100 cards but I could be wrong. Anyway, the idea was for the probability to remain approximately the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The portal deck consists of 100 cards in the base game (or SoS), so the number is correct.

But when choosing randomly you still change the intention of the game and some card effects that work together:
- Less trophy monsters in random deck
- Missing cards for effects between cards
- Chance of ending up with too many high or low cost cards

It's up to everybody to decide himself but according to Justin Gary CotG is meant to be played with RotF, SoS is meant to be played with a future expansion. Justin Gary even discouraged me from getting RotF with SoS, for said reasons.

Actually I sold my version of CotG (just kept all Promos and Travel Box), since I do not like mixing and think that SoS is the better game for experienced players, thus CotG most likely wouldn't hit the table any more.

Also I have the iPad App, so I still play with the "old" set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
I'm only happy when it rains...
mbmbmbmbmb
I look forward to being able to make my own sets! There's a bunch of cards I won't be sad to never see pop up . . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fredin
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
magnitt wrote:
I thought the original portal deck in SoS was 100 cards but I could be wrong. Anyway, the idea was for the probability to remain approximately the same.

airsonist wrote:
The portal deck consists of 100 cards in the base game (or SoS), so the number is correct.

Duh, sorry guys, it was stuck in my head that the sets were 200 cards, forgot they all arn't portal cards. blush

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Reubens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

I just mixed them all together and it works just fine... frankly... while I like the game it sort of feels like a random silly romp for me and thus having more randomness because of the larger number of cards is a good thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
the new rulebook does mention its possible to mix the game with previous sets, it is not strictly forbidden.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.