Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
65 Posts
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: On a scale of 1 - 10, how important is artwork for your gaming experience? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Wright
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just read an article on Purple Pawn about Kickstarter, and a lot of the successful designers seemed to think that their artwork helped in the funding of their game. (http://www.purplepawn.com/2011/05/how-to-succeed-or-fail-on-...)

What is your take on artwork? How important is it for your gaming experience, on a scale from 1-10?

Poll
How important is artwork for your gaming experience?
  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Importance:
      322 answers
Poll created by Tom Wright
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Johnson
United States
Cottage Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Good artwork is not necessary for a good game experience, but it can elevate it IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Pawle
Ireland
Dublin
D9
flag msg tools
designer
badge
REPEAL THE 8TH
mbmbmbmbmb
ericbjohnson wrote:

Good artwork is not necessary for a good game experience, but it can elevate it IMO.

I agree.
There are times, however, when I find that my desire to play/own a game is heavily influenced by the artwork, particularly in the case of older games (even when I know that the game is probably not all that great).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Bass
United States
Venice
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm assuming 10 means very important and 1 is not important at all.

I don't care about detailed artwork on cards very much. But I do care a lot about the artwork on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
Tom Wright wrote:
I just read an article on Purple Pawn about Kickstarter, and a lot of the successful designers seemed to think that their artwork helped in the funding of their game. (http://www.purplepawn.com/2011/05/how-to-succeed-or-fail-on-...)

What is your take on artwork? How important is it for your gaming experience, on a scale from 1-10?

I voted a 4.

I appreciate serviceable art, distinct and unambiguous, that doesn't detract from the function of the game. Nothing more. Could say the same about bits - cardboard instead of plastic suits me just fine. In war games, I've grown tired of NATO symbols (heresy!). I prefer silhouettes or simple line art.

Game art should serve, but not sell a game; selling should be a job of game play, and to some extent, replayability.

Joseph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Clarity should be the prime goal. Nothing can kill a game faster than vagueness resulting from poor art decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
falloutfan wrote:
Tom Wright wrote:

I voted a 4.

I appreciate serviceable art, distinct and unambiguous, that doesn't detract from the function of the game. Nothing more. Could say the same about bits - cardboard instead of plastic suits me just fine. In war games, I've grown tired of NATO symbols (heresy!). I prefer silhouettes or simple line art.

Game art should serve, but not sell a game; selling should be a job of game play, and to some extent, replayability.

Joseph

It sounds like you are valuing graphic design then, which is a useful distinction for a poll like this to make.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Debien
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A great game with terrible artwork is still a great game.

A terrible game with with great artwork is still a terrible game.

That said, great artwork can make a game more enjoyable, but it will not make the game itself any better.

Finally, great artwork is a good hook to get new players, but if the game is not fun, it won't help in bringing them back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
Good artwork can enhance a game; bad artwork can detract and distract. A wargame without a realistic looking map is hard for me to play, like Eagle Games' American Civil War game with an ORANGE map of the U.S. Between the terrible artwork and the confusing rules I haven't gotten Glory to Rome onto the table yet. A clean wargame board such as Avalon Hill, SPI, OSG draws me in. Euros with clean, attractive designs and some attempt at quality thematic art embellishments (Thurn and Taxis, Ticket to Ride, Downfall of Pompeii, Rails of Europe, On the Underground, Imperial) make the gaming experience a little more fun, and makes it easier to get new players to try a game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Eugene
Oregon
msg tools
mb
If I don't care to play most FFG fare because their murky, overwrought, distressed house style fails to capture my imagination, does this mean artwork is important for me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
A good game can be made great simply by improving the artwork and the components.

It's the same reason why people paint minis and are ready to pay 10 times the asking price for collectors edition like War of the Ring's.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justus
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
garygarison wrote:
If I don't care to play most FFG fare because their murky, overwrought, distressed house style fails to capture my imagination, does this mean artwork is important for me?

I'd say so. I think that as someone who DIY's many of your own games, I think you are much more actively involved the art of the games than you care to admit. There are a lot of graphic design decisions that one hast to make in building their own game (assuming of course they aren't just photocopying the source material).

Even though you might not find pretty illustrations or fancy components important for the enjoyment of the game, I'd wager that you think the graphic design and the information clarity of a game is extremely important.

As for myself, I'll DIY games if I don't like the artwork. I'd rather have a clean handdrawn set than an overwrought over illustrated game. But if it is nicely done, then I will certainly pick up the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin
United Kingdom
Colchester
Essex
flag msg tools
Helllow Bayyybee
mbmbmbmbmb
casualgod wrote:
A great game with terrible artwork is still a great game.

A terrible game with with great artwork is still a terrible game.

That said, great artwork can make a game more enjoyable, but it will not make the game itself any better.

Finally, great artwork is a good hook to get new players, but if the game is not fun, it won't help in bringing them back.

Well said - I think this sums it up very well.

My particular favourite has to go to Juliet Breese.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franziska
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrenoK wrote:
A game's beauty is much like the beauty in a plate of food. Nice to have, but not what it is really about.

In Germany, there is a saying that the stomach eats through the eye (it sounds far less disgusting in its native tongue, I assure you) so there is a deep seated belief that presentation influences opinion.

I voted an 8. Yay, mainstream!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Boaca
Romania
Iasi
Iasi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a themed game art is just as important as the mechanics. Playing games is about the experience, not the results. If the players cannot "feel" that they are part of that world through some epic looking art how can they get the game serious? But that may well be just my opinion in my group of players.

I also voted a 8.

Art is meant to help tell a story and is at least the way to see how much did the developers cared about bringing their game in front of the other more amateurish looking titles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another 8 Vote for me, too. It's pretty important for board gaming. It's the only window you have to help jolt your imagination. Poor art can really be a turn-off. I'm pretty sure that Through the Ages is a great game but I've had a hard time convincing myself to pick it up (yet) because of the hideous art. Granted, art is subjective so this is just my own opinion - ymmv.

Really good art can sell a game on its own almost though (of course) great gameplay is still super important, in general.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A.J. Porfirio
United States
Thompsons Station
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
What Van Ryder Game are YOU playing?
mbmbmbmbmb
Also 8. The good thing is that the two don't have to be mutually exclusive. There are TONS of games out there. Always best when you can get one with great art AND great game play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Det var bara en hake...
Sweden
flag msg tools
Help, I'm being held prisoner in an overtext typing facility! I don't have much time, they could find out at any m
badge
I'm that weirdo whose number of badges sold prior to yesterday Bail Organa is keeping track of
mbmbmbmb
Voted a 3, which is supposed to somehow reflect that I don't mind neutral or stylized art, or almost no art, but I don't like bad, garish art or art intrusively featuring a theme I don't like. I bet there's someone who feels the exact same way and voted an 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Asili Eiliaz
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Datura wrote:

In Germany, there is a saying...(it sounds far less disgusting in its native tongue, I assure you)

Contradiction in terms
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Brulet
United States
McKinney
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that artwork is one of the most important things to me.

If I'm going to invest in your game, I want it to be polished. Different games can use identical or similar mechanics, it's the one with the superb artwork in addition to that which will get my money.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kelsith
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
to me its not very important....However, I once tried to sit my wife down in front of an unattractive game and she basically said ..eeew I don't want to play this. So I would say artwork may be important in actually having a gaming experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bwian, just
United States
Longmont
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
falloutfan wrote:

I'm in this boat.

However, I think artwork is going to remain more important for Kickstarter games. If you have a good piece of artwork or two, that indicates a level of commitment and professionalism. That credibility is needed to overcome the increased risk of buying from on untried publisher, IMHO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
La Habra
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I purchased Yggdrasil due to the artwork alone (the fact that it was highly rated helped). Ended up being an amazingly cool game.

I think artwork matters more than people realize.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Christiansen
United States
Mount Pleasant
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
OOK! OOK! OOK!
mbmbmbmbmb
Evaluations of games are a weighted average of many features, and it would be interesting to do a subjective policy capturing study to at least get an idea of relative value.

To me,art is even less.important than theme and graphic design, which are well behind all things mechanical. I might even care more about clarity of rules.

Great art is a plus but a small one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
BlackSpy wrote:
falloutfan wrote:
Tom Wright wrote:

I voted a 4.

Joseph

It sounds like you are valuing graphic design then, which is a useful distinction for a poll like this to make.

Yes! Graphic design, at least to me, is more important than the actual art. Well said.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.