Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hidden Among the Leaves
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
After some years of playing tactical wargames, the last weeks I feel the itch to zoom out to a larger scale. I was thinking of getting a game that depicts the whole eastern front, if possible from Barbarossa Campaign to the Battle of Berlin. The prequisitions are:

1. Depiction of the whole eastern front, not just a campaign there.
2. A decent solo capability, since I always play alone. I don't care if the game is designed to be solitaire per se, but I care about being solo friendly.
3. The game should be complex enough to give the feel of the eastern front. I am interested in realism and historical accuracy.

Any ideas?

M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Trial of Strength - Out of print but the best of the bunch.
EastFront II- best of the block games
No Retreat! The Russian Front- Newly released and very popular
Barbarossa: The Russo-German War, 1941-45- hard to find OOP but a very good game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No Retreat! and EastFront have some solitaire issues, what with cards and blocks. You might want to look at Proud Monster Deluxe and The Barbarossa Campaign, the latter of which is designed for solitaire play. It's not as detailed as the others. I haven't seen the perfect solitaire-able East Front game yet, personally, but I haven't turned over all the rocks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barton Campbell
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alfredhw wrote:
No Retreat! and EastFront have some solitaire issues, what with cards and blocks. You might want to look at Proud Monster Deluxe and The Barbarossa Campaign, the latter of which is designed for solitaire play. It's not as detailed as the others. I haven't seen the perfect solitaire-able East Front game yet, personally, but I haven't turned over all the rocks.

No Retreat! Solitaire free PnP when you buy No Retreat! The Russian Front.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
You're all crazy. The best take at the scale / complexity mentioned remains: The Russian Campaign

As an added bonus, and of special interest for our fiscally austere Greek friend, copies can be found for very reasonable prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCormick
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would highly, highly recommend No Retreat for the campaign. If you want to concentrate on Barbarossa, I would look at ATO's Four Roads to Moscow, and to Fury in the East.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Lawson
United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
Proud Monster Deluxe was not mentioned because it doesn't meet the OPs criteria. It ends in 1944, same with several others
Scorched Earth
Red Star Rising: The War in Russia, 1941-1944
Russian Front- there is a DtP expansion that takes this into 1945

As far as The Russian Campaign is concerned, have at it but its really dated. A nostalgia favorite.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred Wallace
United States
Champaign
IL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bartman347 wrote:
alfredhw wrote:

No Retreat! Solitaire free PnP when you buy No Retreat! The Russian Front.

Completely forgot about it. I retract the statement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain K
United States
Arvada
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
billyboy wrote:
Proud Monster Deluxe was not mentioned because it doesn't meet the OPs criteria. It ends in 1944, same with several others
Scorched Earth
Red Star Rising: The War in Russia, 1941-1944
Russian Front- there is a DtP expansion that takes this into 1945

As far as The Russian Campaign is concerned, have at it but its really dated. A nostalgia favorite.

Nostalgia? Just because we both have copies we purchased in the 70's?

Seriously though, when it comes to "bang for the buck" in terms of rules overhead, The Russian Campaign is tough to beat. It portrays the East Front at a slightly lower scale than No Retreat, which in my opinion allows it to capture the wheeling maneuver of the theater better. Does it have historical issues if played by sharks, sure, what game doesn't?

I think East Front is a good option. I don't like it personally, but others do. However, it isn't cheap and it won't be easily acquired in Greece.

As for the other games you mention , they're all good, but have more rules overhead or don't cover the entire span of the war in the East.

Just my 2 cents at any rate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M·ANTONIVS·M·F·M·N
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
Mein Luftkissenfahrzeug ist voller Aale
mbmbmbmbmb
Case Blue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hidden Among the Leaves
Greece
Heraklion
Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You, guys, are very quick! Thank you all for your suggestions

Of course I will buy Case Blue. Twice.

M.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kreuzer
Australia
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
Fire in the East and Scorched Earth (or their earlier incarnations Drang Nach Osten! and Unentschieden). No sense in pussy footing around.

You'll need to roll your own 1945, but after the bazillion hours you've taken to get that far you'll find that part pretty easy. Ah, my misspent youth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Warren Bruhn
United States
Roseburg
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The only game of this scale that I would consider buying myself is East Front 2 from Columbia games. Unfortunately, it's not cheap, and it is a block game, so not so good for a solitaire gamer like Michalis.

There is a great computer option, though, War in the East from Matrix Games, 2by3. It can be purchased and downloaded over the internet, so Michalis could start playing solitaire immediately!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sheely
United States
Hayward
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played a bunch of East Front games, but Proud Monster Deluxe was very fun. Playable solo and in print. It's 4 maps though so space may be a problem.

East Front II may rely too heavily on hidden info to be played well solo as it's a block game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeb
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard good things about War Without Mercy which was recently reprinted and is somewhere between Proud monster and No retreat with regards to size and length of play.

(edit for spelling)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
EastFront II (Columbia) is my all time favorite. I feel it captures, better than any other I've tried, the logistical issues faced by the Germans. You can play solitaire if you're willing to just turn the blocks face up and pretend it's a regular hex and counter game.

No Retreat! The Russian Front (GMT) is a new favorite. The No Retreat! Solitaire (VPG) rules let you play solitaire as the Germans until you get to a winning point, after which you switch sides (!!) and have to save the situation as the Russians. Very clever. Very devious.

Another option is to get whatever eastern front game you like to play with other opponents and get a copy of The Barbarossa Campaign (VPG) for solitaire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wolfgang Kunz
Germany
Netphen
flag msg tools
badge
I'm German. That's what we do...
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm sorry, I won't flame here, but No Retreat as an suggestion to what the OP wrote, seems a bit odd to me. I played NR a few times last year and was very dissapointed. It looks more and more gamey to me.

My suggestions would follow those from some above:
Fire in the East + Scorched Earth
War of Mercy
Russian Campaign
Russia Besieged

And my all-time-(nostalgia) classic
War In The East (Second Edition), simple rules, a size worth the topic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy M
United Kingdom
Norwich
Norfolk
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe work your way through this list:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/22938/wwii-eastern-fro...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Lundin
Sweden
Lund
-
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I've heard good things about War Without Mercy which was recently reprinted and is somewhere between Proud monster and No retreat with regards to size and length of play.

+1

Played it and liked it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
Trial of Strength - Out of print but the best of the bunch.
EastFront II- best of the block games
No Retreat! The Russian Front- Newly released and very popular
Barbarossa: The Russo-German War, 1941-45- hard to find OOP but a very good game

I got Trial of Strength at a fair price from second hand market and I think it still. Barbarossa has been reprinted by Decision Games in magazine format and that should be stil available. So all is not lost at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Szarka
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
When it is your turn to send a VASSAL move, the wait is excruciating. When it's my turn, well, I've been busy.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because EastFront uses blocks doesn't mean it suffers in terms of solitaire playability more than any other game. Hidden unit strengths are not the essence of the game, only an aspect of it. And if you play from opposite sides of the table, you often will forget the precise composition of the other side's blocks anyway.

I agree with those who say The Russian Campaign is dated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Kirsipuu
Estonia
Tallinn
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend Stalin's War.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.