Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I think your buildings can only contribute 7 points to your vp total as the rules, I think, state that you can only build one city(Hence seven vps.) so you need those vp points and longest road and largest army points. In the 3 player game of this. Two of us were stuck and could not win without vp from development cards.

Am I getting anything wrong?

William

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
raynovich wrote:
So, I think your buildings can only contribute 7 points to your vp total as the rules, I think, state that you can only build one city(Hence seven vps.) so you need those vp points and longest road and largest army points. In the 3 player game of this. Two of us were stuck and could not win without vp from development cards.

Am I getting anything wrong?

William

Two things that I see.

1) You are not limited to "one" city total (at least how I read it). You can only just upgrade in intersections that have a circular "city field." This has less to do in a 3-player game because there you can only build in these "city fields" anyways. In the 4-player game, you can build a settlement in any vacant intersection that follows normal building rules, you just can't upgrade them. Your only limit should be the number of pieces you have as in any game.

2) Every intersection that has a Catan setting sun, is a VP. The first person to builds a road into this intersection gets the VP for that site. This alone brings in an additional 10 VPs just sitting there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Jason Raynovich
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Brian,
Good to hear from you and thanks for the prompt response.

Right, right. Rule no. 2.

And rule no. 1 clarifies where one can build.

However, in a 3 player game to confirm:

A single player will only get a max of 7 points from settlements and cities if you take their suggestion of only building on "city fields." This is due to the sentence, "We suggest in a 3-player game, you can only build settlements on "city fields;...".

This made for an interesting endgame as I had a number of the vp chips, but another player had the largest army and longest road, but I trapped that player so they could not expand further to get another settlement. We were in a stalemate position.

William

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brian
United States
Cedar Lake
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mb
raynovich wrote:
A single player will only get a max of 7 points from settlements and cities if you take their suggestion of only building on "city fields." This is due to the sentence, "We suggest in a 3-player game, you can only build settlements on "city fields;...".

Hey William, good to hear from you again.

I am not following your math on this one. There are 24 City Fields (if I am counting right). If the 3 players build evenly, they would each have 8 of these. Even if 5 of those are settlements (your maximum), and 3 of them are cities, you have 11 points. If four of these are cities and 4 of them are settlements, you have 12 points of the 13 needed to win.

Again, rule #2 is NOT saying you may only have 1 city. What it is saying is that you can only upgrade on City Fields. So you have the potential to bring all 4 cities on the board - the only limitation being the number of components.

Unless I completely misunderstand this. But Rule 6 implies you can have multiple cities. So I do not think the 1 city per player is the correct interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.