Popular Tags: [View All]
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For the game Bare Your Fangs the icons for the vampire victim die are being discussed. The project is located here http://kck.st/tCfyTQ for more information.

Right now for the Vampire Victim Die, there is a Blood Droplet = +1 Health, A Blood Chalice = +2, and a Blood Keg = +3. It would figure the visual size increase of the subject is intuitive and fun.

Would you prefer to see the art remain as it is or something more slimmed down like say 2 and 3 Blood Droplets to indicate extra health gained?

Or would a combination of the current art with numbers be preferable? Don't forget to look at those examples below the main graphic.

Comments welcomed and encouraged...would love to know if you are a backer or are thinking about becoming one (and is the art a deal breaker?). What would it take to help you make the decision to pledge. just wanting to tweak the artwork to make the game as appealing to as many people as possible. The game has been playtested and is ready to go...no changes to gameplay. The designer is very open to suggestions as evidenced by this poll.

Current Design with Numbers

Poll
Which design would you prefer to see on the dice?
Current Design
Simplified Design
Current Design with Numbers
      100 answers
Poll created by metalchorus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franziska
Wales
Cardiff
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is the 3rd picture of the original design a barrel of blood?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Wheelock
Canada
Woodstock
New Brunswick
flag msg tools
badge
David Malki drew this!
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I didn't know that was a barrel until I read it. I think the droplets convey the number of health points more intuitively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Datura wrote:
Is the 3rd picture of the original design a barrel of blood?

Keg of blood...so yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Namaste Wolf

South Carolina
msg tools
I like the new design with the icons and numbers, though just to make sure I would put the number on 2 corners like diagonal from each other, however I see that people are voting more for the multi droplet
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Hedberg
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
With the new icons, you don't have to remember which symbol means what.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
namastewolf wrote:
I like the new design with the icons and numbers, though just to make sure I would put the number on 2 corners like diagonal from each other, however I see that people are voting more for the multi droplet

I agree that numbers diagonally would be better, or even on all four corners...my opinion is that since this is going to be a one of a kind dice game (and the dice will be etched not stickered) there should be a variety of art...it also justifies the cost, these aren't going to be just plain old stickered dice...the game is going to be very thematic and I think the more artistic approach really enhances that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanessa Simek
United States
Wilmington
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy with all of the discussion and the poll is turning out to be just what is needed to finalize the art. If more people liked the "Current Design w/Numbers" I would place another number diagonally from what's shown (and up-side-down probably would be best)...but it does very much appear to me now that most of you folks prefer the Simplified best. Nothing speaks better than the numbers. Thank you Hank for making this a poll.

I try to be very transparent with everything. My dice are to be crafted by Q-Workshop. They do amazingly detailed work which is what drew me to them, besides their good price. Custom engraved dice are not cheap no matter what though, so originally when designing I felt that the more art, the more iconography = the biggest bang for the buck.

Keep on voting and keep on speaking. When I launched my project on Kickstarter I thought everything was 100% finalized but your continued feedback has helped mold the game to be better and better. I aim to please, and aesthetics are usually easy fixes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kelsith
United States
Bloomington
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think the simplified is the best however if you were to do the old icons with numbers diagonally it might look a wee bit better if you were to on the opposite corners place the correct number of blood drops.
so the one would look the same the two would have two blood drops and the three would look something like

|............................|
|..........................*|
|3___________**|

obviously the keg would go over all the periods but i could barely make this not even going to risk making a keg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Full
United States
Vienna
West Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As I said on the Kickstarter - I think the different art symbols are what really gives the game its theme and I would hate to see it degenerate to multiple blood droplets. The bone/steak for wolves is funny, cute, and differentiates a little from the drop/chalice for vamps.

Adding the number is a nice compromise but getting rid of the different art is not nearly as attractive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kelsith wrote:
I do think the simplified is the best however if you were to do the old icons with numbers diagonally it might look a wee bit better if you were to on the opposite corners place the correct number of blood drops.
so the one would look the same the two would have two blood drops and the three would look something like

|..........................*|
|3___________**|

obviously the keg would go over all the periods but i could barely make this not even going to risk making a keg

Really like this idea...addresses EVERY issue (number value, blood drop value and keeps the unique art). I vote for at least a mockup of this to see what it looks like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sturv Tafvherd
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just one tangential comment ...

Are you planning to change the background color / design?

Red drops on a white background doesn't seem to line up with the theme...

Red drops on black would be the most obvious choice, I guess. Not sure how dice are made, but it might be possible that the die material is black in the first place.

Another possibility is to use semi-translucent red "crystal" dice ... and have black-outlines/shadings on the blood drops.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanessa Simek
United States
Wilmington
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm actually somewhat limited with things I can do with the dice colors, and Q-Workshop again had the widest selection. But I had a nice list I could pick from and couldn't stray from that. Crystal dice (transparents) would be awesome and originally had been considered as D20's to use instead of scorecards, but the cost added to the game was far too high.

The colors of the dice seen on the prototype dice photos of stickered die is what the dice will be...so Vampire and Werewolf have black dice, the Victims get White, and the NPC Hunter gets Beige. Then the enamel coloration goes into the engravings to further distinguish the Vampire and Werewolf. The Victims were given a different background just to separate them out easier from the Attack Dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanessa Simek
United States
Wilmington
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a link Kelsith (thanks for the suggestion and taking the time to create an image to go off of-I understood it): http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa324/SledgePainter/Bare...

I like the idea but...too cluttered?

I must note that the number of votes here on BGG is far larger than the votes in on my Kickstarter page so far amongst my backers. But my backers far and away prefer the current or current w/numbers designs whereas the BGGers prefer the simplified look. This perplexes me and I wish more of my backers would speak out since they are the ones who are invested into the game and the majority of folks on BGG who are voting probably are not backers.

And I guess the real question is...do any of these new iterations being made or current designs left on STOP you from pledging?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SledgePainter wrote:
Here's a link Kelsith (thanks for the suggestion and taking the time to create an image to go off of-I understood it): http://i1192.photobucket.com/albums/aa324/SledgePainter/Bare...

I like the idea but...too cluttered?

Pretty busy...the border makes it even more busy.

No border...loses some of the atmosphere though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The problem is that adherence to theme often makes a game less simple. Compare the Arkham Horror boardgame vs. the simpler Elder Sign dice game.

One thought is to make the more artistic dice as KS bennies for those who pledge more.

But if the game has only three dice icons to worry about, I don't either pattern set really matters. I mean, just look at Race for the Galaxy for icons, and it seems that all those Dragon Dice icons (many different ones which meant the same thing!) didn't phase players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

But if the game has only three dice icons to worry about, I don't either pattern set really matters. I mean, just look at Race for the Galaxy for icons, and it seems that all those Dragon Dice icons (many different ones which meant the same thing!) didn't phase players.

THIS!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer simplified because it's much easier to add up at a glance.

So... dumbass suggestion...

What about this?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Haglert
Sweden
Örebro
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you could mix it up and have one big icon representing whatever you want and then instead of numbers have 1, 2 or 3 droplets in opposite corners.

You still make it intuitive but you can still show items if you want to.

The keg make sense when you know what it is but if you didn't it would be hard to figure out what it was.

What about removing the blood flowing out, put on a cap to the side somewhere and put a blood drop icon on the barrel?

Cap position:
http://www.shutterstock.com/pic-71553817/stock-vector-oil-ba...
But with drop on the side instead of oil?

I wouldn't put the droplets in the corners.

[code]
+---------+
| II dd|
| II |
| IIII |
|pp IIII |
+---------+
[/code] That may not make much sense but whatever
d = straight droplets. Do whatever with borders and icons

I guess dd could be replaced by 1xd or 3xd and so on.

Edit: Ok. Code didn't worked. Whatever

http://gfbrobot.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Quarriors-Dic...
Simple numbers in the corners + whatever icon seem to work to ..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
One Armed Bandit
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aliquis wrote:
Edit: Ok. Code didn't worked. Whatever

http://gfbrobot.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/Quarriors-Dic...
Simple numbers in the corners + whatever icon seem to work to ..

For code, you use just C, not the whole word "code"
Same way quotes are q, not "quote"

Also, I don't think that was the image you were intending to link...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanessa Simek
United States
Wilmington
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Palmerkun: Your idea may not translate well into an etch. I would have to ask Q-Workshop about that. They are amazingly good at intricate patterns but 2 kegs on one side might be pushing it.

And actually, that is a keg tap at the top, but it could be moved to the side or maybe like Aliquis's oil barrel idea...turn the keg into a whiskey barrel with the blood drop symbol on it (numbers in the corners) would work and still keep some of the flair. I will draw this up sometime today. Icons take a little longer for me to do than just modifying the current stuff by moving stuff around.

I'm having some real trouble with this. I did not want to list my opinion yet because I'm obviously biased, but I honestly prefer more art icons versus simplification. The the division between what people on Kickstarter want versus the obvious desire of BGGers is racking my brain...people who have a vested interested and pledged really like the current w/numbers design.

Is there anyone here voting who pledged to my game?
Will the current icons stop you from pledging?
Will changing the icons to simplified make you want to pledge or indeed, make you remove your pledge if you already have pledged?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Echo W
United States
Parker
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I pledged. I also voted for the simplified design. *However*, I could definitely deal with one of these two designs:

metalchorus wrote:

No border...loses some of the atmosphere though.

Very cool AND easy to read. Just my 2 pennies...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vanessa Simek
United States
Wilmington
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I do kinda like the border being left off look (also thanks for pledging)...though a bit Quarriors looking. I don't know...keep the ideas coming people!

Also, here is a look at Q-Workshop's dice etching ability, for your reference: http://q-workshop.com/help_more.php?topic=customdice&lang=EN...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.