Bill de hÓra
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmb
What should happen in combat if Dracula has just 3 cards (daytime) and the hunter has a) more cards, b) played garlic?

I just had a situation where a hunter had 6 cards (3 basic, 1 pistol, 1 garlic, 1 sacred bullet) and Dracula couldn't escape for 3 rounds, but when the hunter continued to play cards and won the combat roll the winning hunter card couldn't be resolved as it logically had no opposing card. I'm thinking the last Dracula card (an escape) remains in use, but am not sure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Goldfarb
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you may be misunderstanding the card rules. You lay down a card for the first round of combat. You leave that card down and play another one. Then for subsequent rounds, you first pick up the card you played two rounds ago (leaving the card you played last round down) and play a card.

The point of the rule is that you can't use the same card two rounds in succession, not that you can only use a card once per combat.

So, if Dracula is affected by Garlic in the daytime, he must use Claws the first round (since he can't play Escape (Man) or Dodge), then he must Dodge (since he can't play Escape (Man), and Claws is still on the table), then he must use Claws again (since he can't play Escape (Man) and Dodge is still on the table). In the fourth round, assuming there is one, he could then play either Dodge or Escape (Man).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dracula will have Claws, Dodge and Escape(man) in daytime. Escape is unplayable until round 4 if the hunter plays Garlic before the fight. Dracula must play Claws, Dodge, Claws in the first 3 rounds. He can then play Escape(man) in round 4.

I'm not sure what the problem is, unless you're doing something wrong. Note Garlic can't be played as a combat card, the other cards you quote can all be opposed by both of Dracula's available cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill de hÓra
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmb
DaveD, David,

Yep. We just realised we forgot the rule that says to pick up your older (2 rounds back) cards (we're in the middle of a game right now). Thanks!

Btw, haven't played this since the original version in the eighties. It's as good as I remember.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.