United States
Fishers
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I grew up with the original Risk, it will be one of my favorite games and of course stands the test of time as one of the greatest board games in our history. This board game, while I don't think it'll turn out quite as memorable, still has all the fun of the original and adds a few flavors of its own.

Like the original Risk, you divide up the nations with different colored pieces and vie for control of the world. A little addition to this opening is that if you divide up the regions and some land cards are left over, nuclear fallout markers are placed on those regions - basically, in the last big war these regions received so much damage that they became inhabitable and cannot be moved into at all during the game. Another little difference is the Napoleonic soldiers of the original Risk are replced by tiny mechas darting about the board.

Moving and attacking is still the same as it ever was. However, you must buy commanders (and their appropriate action cards) for their various purposes, including moving into sea and moon zones (you have to use the Naval and Space Commanders, respectively). Diplomatic Commanders control or limit what other players do, while Land Commanders and Nuclear Commanders excercise power on the ground and elsewhere. Controlling sections of the ocean and moon will reap reinforcement benefits as controlling entire continents will. Through victory and province number, you not only gain extra troops but also energy points, which can be used to buy commanders, cards, or play cards. Like other players have said these new rules give you a bit of a headache at first, but they're a lot easier to learn than you might think.

My only problem with this game is the action cards themselves. A lot of these cards cost "0" energy, making them basically free, and making the power wielded to them too much. Many of the cards, in fact, yield ridiculous power in regards to attack or reinforcements yet come at a remarkably cheap price. Even when my opponent uses one of the cards, they too agree that having 3 reinforcements come into battle at the cost of no energy is too easy. It became such a problem with gameplay that I soon began to take out cards, edit their cost, or even make my own cards (which they allow you to do - they supply blank cards for your fixing).

Still, this game is indeed fun to play. And if you don't like anything I've described above, the game does come with the rules for normal Risk, and the game plays just as easily with normal Risk rules as it does with the more complicated, "futuristic" rules. Overall, a good strategy game to play with friends, whether for fun if you're in the mood for a sci-fi based board game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
For all have sinned and fallen short of the glory
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed that the 0 energy cards all have restrictions on when you can use them to balance out their power. It's not necessarily even, but it's not badly imbalanced. Also, the most powerful are the ones that cost the most. one thing to consider is that all cards have a cost of 1 to buy them. Thus to figure the actual total cost to use the card you need to add one to the cost to play it.

All in all, I like this BETTER than classic risk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the original a better game in terms of strategy and tactics but this game appeals more to many as well for those who prefer the thematic aspects of a game over the intellectual aspects.

See my geeklist on the series.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
quite true. I'd rather play space strategy games than chess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yah... a well done theme makes the game more enjoyable for me, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhebert wrote:
yah... a well done theme makes the game more enjoyable for me, too.

I'm fine with a well done theme and even think it can be a good thing, but theme alone can never make a game. That's another thread though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Epp
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, did I love this game. The map always changes, and has so many more interesting decisions to be made. I've never thought of original risk as a game of interesting strategy and tactics.

From what I remember of this game (haven't played it in about 10 yrs), yes, the land cards are usually cheap and tend to go quickly...but everyone has access to them.

If you're really concerned about the defense cards, wait until you have a signal jamming or whatever that card is (there's a few in almost all the decks).

Or just go to the sea/moon and rain nuclear hell upon your enemies. Save up energy for a last turn bid on the last round and snipe all your enemies bonuses with armageddon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
Germany
Dortmund
flag msg tools
RISK 2210 A.D. is frequently considered the best RISK edition, and that's the reason I bought it a couple of years ago. While vanila RISK can be fun and is simple to play, it can develop severe problems with early player elemination and/or protracted trench-style warfare along continent boundaries.

RISK 2210 A.D. however makes every game last for five turns only, so you will rarely play more than two hours, if at all. The two irradiated countries can change gameplay quiet a lot, and the action cards, bidding mechanics and different commanders are a nice touch, too, and add a lot of strategy that otherwise would rely much more on lucky dice rolls. The best thing, however, is that each aspect can optionally be left out, so each game can be tailored to specific needs. I think it's clearly better than normal RISK and would highly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chernoskill wrote:
RISK 2210 A.D. is frequently considered the best RISK edition, and that's the reason I bought it a couple of years ago. While vanila RISK can be fun and is simple to play, it can develop severe problems with early player elemination and/or protracted trench-style warfare along continent boundaries.

RISK 2210 A.D. however makes every game last for five turns only, so you will rarely play more than two hours, if at all. The two irradiated countries can change gameplay quiet a lot, and the action cards, bidding mechanics and different commanders are a nice touch, too, and add a lot of strategy that otherwise would rely much more on lucky dice rolls. The best thing, however, is that each aspect can optionally be left out, so each game can be tailored to specific needs. I think it's clearly better than normal RISK and would highly recommend it.

As a die-hard fan of the series, this game is decidedly NOT one of my favorites.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
Germany
Dortmund
flag msg tools
Well, I guess it strays pretty far from the basic RISK rules so it's safe to say that as a die-hard fan of the game there are better optionas closer to the source material. 2210 is great as a game, not neccessarily as a RISK game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chernoskill wrote:
Well, I guess it strays pretty far from the basic RISK rules so it's safe to say that as a die-hard fan of the game there are better optionas closer to the source material. 2210 is great as a game, not neccessarily as a RISK game

Actually it's of all the games in the series probably the closest to the original; it just has a bunch of extraneous bells and whistles attached.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
honestly... the simplicity of the original Risk is part of why I don't like it. It's boring.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
honestly... the simplicity of the original Risk is part of why I don't like it. It's boring.

I presume you don't play Go then?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
correct. I tried it once and decided I didn't like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
correct. I tried it once and decided I didn't like it.

To me, the original Risk seems a fusion of a wargame and an abstract. Since I love both, it's great. Of course most people don't know how to play to win and so they drag the game out.

Risk 2210 has always seemed to me a game targeted to those players. It needs the 5 round limit because they just won't go for the throat the way good Risk players will.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly... Most of my games of Risk 2210 ended before the 5 turns ran out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
Honestly... Most of my games of Risk 2210 ended before the 5 turns ran out.

They should if you're going for the kill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
also it helps to remember that turtling is nearly impossible in 2210. Sure you can build defensive structures to defend chokepoints, but your opponents can bypass land chokepoints via sea lanes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
marhawkman wrote:
also it helps to remember that turtling is nearly impossible in 2210. Sure you can build defensive structures to defend chokepoints, but your opponents can bypass land chokepoints via sea lanes.

Contrary to popular belief, the original does not reward turtling either unless players are just not aggressive enough. All it does is paint a bullseye on the area.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Lizarraga
Mexico
Merida
Yucatan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thread is getting too out of topic.

This game is a MUST buy for every Risk fan out there. Why? Simple: It doesn't stray off from the original Risk concept, but it is much more complex and involves a lot more of strategy since it is not based on luck as much as original Risk.

In 2210 it is your decision what will make you win or lose. Make a bad move and you are toast. Decide what way you wanna go: land, sea or moon, and don't even try to hide in Australia, you will not succeed! They will attack you through sea!

While other risk variants are great and very solid as games (SW:OT, LOTR, etc) they don't feel like Risk because they change everything except the attacking process, but your goals, the map, the theme, everything feels different. IMHO 2210 is on top of all those, and I have never heard of anyone regretting of buying it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Axel wrote:

This game is a MUST buy for every Risk fan out there. Why? Simple: It doesn't stray off from the original Risk concept, but it is much more complex and involves a lot more of strategy since it is not based on luck as much as original Risk.

In 2210 it is your decision what will make you win or lose. Make a bad move and you are toast. Decide what way you wanna go: land, sea or moon, and don't even try to hide in Australia, you will not succeed! They will attack you through sea!

While other risk variants are great and very solid as games (SW:OT, LOTR, etc) they don't feel like Risk because they change everything except the attacking process, but your goals, the map, the theme, everything feels different. IMHO 2210 is on top of all those, and I have never heard of anyone regretting of buying it.
Agreed. It's still my favorite Risk edition. Legacy is awesome, but slightly less awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axel wrote:

Actually I recommend other games in the series rather than this one for virtually the same reasons, and for the record I do wish I'd bought another game instead of this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Lizarraga
Mexico
Merida
Yucatan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Actually I recommend other games in the series rather than this one for virtually the same reasons, and for the record I do wish I'd bought another game instead of this one.

You might not have tried it enough. If you want it to have more variety, then you should try any of the multiple both official and user made expansions. This game is as versatile as you want.

Or maybe is that exactly what you don't like? Then you do well by sticking to original Risk which is much more abstract. I'm curious on what other versions you would recommend above 2210.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Axel wrote:
whac3 wrote:

You might not have tried it enough. If you want it to have more variety, then you should try any of the multiple both official and user made expansions. This game is as versatile as you want.

Or maybe is that exactly what you don't like? Then you do well by sticking to original Risk which is much more abstract. I'm curious on what other versions you would recommend above 2210.

The cards are too random in nature. While the game uses dice, the pattern of rlls is strictly governed by a Gaussian distribution and so classic Risk is a game of skill. No such pattern of constrained randomness governs the cards which are often as apt to be disadvantageous to the player who uses them as to be advantageous. Yet these are the only way to get MODs so you don't even have the key balancing mechanism of the original game which is crtical. Finally the goal of the game is effectively the game as the orignal but I already have the original. The game feels like somebody had a great idea for a game but didn't follow it through to its logical conclusion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mar hawkman
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Yet these are the only way to get MODs
Um, what? Sure they eliminated the moronic "turn in cards for ever increasing numbers of units" aspect of classic. But, IMO, that makes the end game of classic risk more chaotic than strategic. true strategy games don't have "catch up" mechanics to let the losers even the playing field. chess doesn't, Go doesn't. In those, when you get whittled down you're stuck with it and often doomed to lose. It's possible to make a comeback, but the only way to do so is to outwit your opponent. There are no "get out of jail free" cards to allow you to trash what your opponent has spent half the game building up to. Personally, I'm happy that the newer versions of Risk have eliminated this feature or replaced it with something better.

And very few command cards are disadvantageous to you. Most of them are strictly beneficial to the player who uses them. The big Nuclear cards are the only ones I can think of, and they're the exception.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.