Subject: Escaping in the Portcullis Room rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The old crusader knight couldn't fight the assist-only "Traitor Knight" by himself, so ran away, the wrong way, into the Portcullis Room.

At the end of the round, the first player moved the Traitor Knight into the Portcullis Room as well ... I assume that's allowed? Monsters can't leave that tile, but they can go into it?

So the crusader needs to escape again. We played that he needed to escape the monster first, and then roll to lift the Portcullis to get out.

Is that correct, or is no escape neccessary, only the special tile roll?
That might make it easier to escape particular monsters than if you were on a normal tile.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Portcullis mentions that "You cannot exit that tile by normal means" (which precludes normal Move and Escape actions) and "If you wish to exit this tile you must make a move action and roll [...]". Note that it specifies Move action, not Move or Escape action.

Technically, you cannot take a move action if a monster is present on your tile, so in your situation, the crusader couldn't run away and would be stuck there, unless someone helps him. Not a good situation to be in, I'm afraid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to think that is wrong, but your explanation makes perfect sense. I don't like the idea that someone could have no means to fight or escape, leaving him with no option but to await being knocked out or killed through no fault of his own.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dystopian wrote:
"If you wish to exit this tile you must make a move action and roll [...]". Note that it specifies Move action, not Move or Escape action.

Oh ... we assumed they mispoke, meaning "move or escape", but fair enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
adamxpaul wrote:
I would like to think that is wrong, but your explanation makes perfect sense. I don't like the idea that someone could have no means to fight or escape, leaving him with no option but to await being knocked out or killed through no fault of his own.

I totally agree. Here, two seemingly innocent abilities ("A room where you can't escape monsters", "A monster that can't be fought alone") combo in the worst possible way, effectively putting the player out of the game.

Of course, when the other players see that, I expect that in 99% of player groups, they will help him, even if their characters have no in-game reason to do so. However, there is a big difference between characters helping each other to further their interests, and players helping each other to avoid spoiling the fun.

IMHO, the fact that this case can happen is definitely a blemish in an otherwise really fine (and fun) game. But knowing that fact, it's quite easy to avoid - never escape towards a place you can't run away from

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Rouse
United States
Thibodaux
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dystopian wrote:
But knowing that fact, it's quite easy to avoid - never escape towards a place you can't run away from

True, for the most part, though there could be exceptions (i.e. passing through there to get to the summoner, but then the summoner draws the traitor knight and summons him on top of you... ouch).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Dauch
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We screwed up here guys. I agree that a uber monster in the portcullis room is a blemish. We are working to errata this. We will release it here in this thread and in the FAQ document we are producing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Bistro
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Conan is right in his interpretation of the rules, but the effect is an unintentional one. I will add the following as errata to the upcoming FAQ:

If you are unable to make a battle action against a monster in the Portcullis Room, you can still roll to move away, but will suffer 2 wounds instead of 1 if you fail.

Sorry for the confusion folks, but thanks for letting us know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Conan Meriadoc
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to both of you for admitting the problem, and coming up with a fix!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, who would have thought that in our first game we would have hit a novel situation!

Thanks for the response guys!

BTW when the Crusader found himself locked in battle with the Traitor Knight, he called for help ... and the other players responded without hesitation ... by laughing and moving in the opposite direction.

Too cruel perhaps devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Bistro
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Then they were playing correctly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Radford
United Kingdom
Brentwood
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On my Portcullis tile is says 'No Roaming'. Why was the monster allowed to roam into there in the first place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Foldenauer
United States
Ypsilanti
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nicebloke wrote:
On my Portcullis tile is says 'No Roaming'. Why was the monster allowed to roam into there in the first place?

"No roaming" refers to a monster already in the room; they can freely wander into the portcullis tile. Think of it like the roach motel. Monsters get in, but they can't get out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Bistro
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. The fun of the Portcullis Room is it traps creatures inside, forcing confrontations.

You can't see it due to the perspective on the tile, but there are signs outside the entrances that say 'Free walrus inside!'. Within the room there is just a sad note saying that due to budget cutbacks, walruses are not currently available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Keith Setliff
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Our first game ended this way, beelining to the entrance with the Summoner Stone, then we both get trapped in the portcullis with the Uber knight guy. We ruled that no one won since thematically everyone would be dead no matter who died first. Not a good way to end our first game, though it was funny. Personally, I hate the uber mechanic. It's never fun when one of those comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Rob
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Sounds like my gaming group, LOL!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik S
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
this came up in a game of mine, can birodin use his trample ability against the traitor knight, even if no other hero is assisting?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.