Subject: Give me your best dice game ideas (not Quarriors) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have a single dice game in my collection and I've got an urge to chuck some dice! I'm just not familiar with the games that are out there. I'd really like to get King of Tokyo, but I'm going to have to wait until they reprint, I guess, b/c I can't find it anywhere.

I don't want Quarriors. I've watched the videos on it and it just doesn't appeal. Maybe it's the theme or the silly-sounding Q-names, but something just turned me off about it.

I've thought about Roll Through the Ages -- Bronze Age and so far I guess that's the leading candidate.

I'd prefer play to take no more than an hour and be good for two (more is fine, but 2 is a must).

So what's your favorite dice game and why? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shane Larsen
United States
Salt Lake City
UT
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I always refer people to Ra: The Dice Game when RTtA is brought up. Ra: TDG has a civ theme, but admittedly not as thematically attached. But what Ra: TDG goes MUCH better than RTtA, is interaction. I find RTtA a bit boring because I enjoy interaction in my games.

If you want a heavier experience, go with Troyes.
And I hear that The Castles of Burgundy is excellent with two players.

I hope this helps.

Good luck and have fun!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s m t
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
I like my town with a little drop of poison Nobody knows, they're lining up to go insane.
mbmbmbmbmb
You may also enjoy Macao and/or Kingsburg.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin B. Smith
United States
Mercer Island
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
From your personal game ratings, it looks like you are focused more on lighter games, so Troyes and Macao probably wouldn't make sense.

Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age is a good game, as is Ra: The Dice Game. Both are very much euros, with mostly indirect interaction between the players (especially RTtA).

Contrast those with King of Tokyo, which is all about attacking other players.

Lighter dice game I haven't tried but looks fun: Martian Dice. Probably lighter than what you want in this request.

Yspahan and Kingsburg are dice-oriented games that are heavier than what you have rated so far, but not overwhelming. Both have blocking, but no direct pvp attacks. Another one is Stone Age, but unlike most of the rest of these, it uses dice to resolve your choices, rather than to restrict your choices. So it's less of a "dice game" than the others.

A bit heavier still, and with quite a bit of pvp conflict, would be Alien Frontiers.

It would help to know what level of player interaction you want, and what level of complexity you are interested in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
Alien Frontiers

Some will doubtlessly contest whether this is a true dice game, or not, but I think it is!

Plays well with 2, best with 4, and makes you think! The game may be as brain burny as you'd like — you may choose to agonize over your strategy, or simply go with the most basic and simple plans (ultimately losing, of course laugh).

Might also consider Airships which is a lot of fun. Airships involves a bit more "push your luck," as you must specify what you're trying for. It's also significantly lighter than Alien Frontiers, and suitable for a large range of gamer and non gamer types. Not exactly a gateway game, but quite suitable for newbies and younger players.

Both are engine building games, where you're trying to mitigate bad dice rolls by acquiring modifiers in the form of equipment.

Cheers!

Joseph
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Derrick
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
peakhope wrote:
From your personal game ratings, it looks like you are focused more on lighter games, so Troyes and Macao probably wouldn't make sense.

Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age is a good game, as is Ra: The Dice Game. Both are very much euros, with mostly indirect interaction between the players (especially RTtA).

Contrast those with King of Tokyo, which is all about attacking other players.

Lighter dice game I haven't tried but looks fun: Martian Dice. Probably lighter than what you want in this request.

Yspahan and Kingsburg are dice-oriented games that are heavier than what you have rated so far, but not overwhelming. Both have blocking, but no direct pvp attacks. Another one is Stone Age, but unlike most of the rest of these, it uses dice to resolve your choices, rather than to restrict your choices. So it's less of a "dice game" than the others.

A bit heavier still, and with quite a bit of pvp conflict, would be Alien Frontiers.

It would help to know what level of player interaction you want, and what level of complexity you are interested in.

Thanks. Interaction's not so much a factor -- we are happy to play either "solitaire" type games or games with lots of interaction, take that, and screwage. Neither one of us gets upset either way. Complexity-wise nothing too heavy or hard to learn, but we don't mind a challenge, either. I don't want something that's really simple like Yahtzee. Give me something with some strategy and choices, but not a brain fry. A quick look at Ra makes me think it might be a contender.

(And you've reminded me that I really need to get busy and update my ratings!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2nding Airships
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stellmach
United States
Arlington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll second Roll Through the Ages and Kingsburg.

I'm also fond of To Court the King, Pickomino, Can't Stop and Alea Iacta Est.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
todd sanders
United States
pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oh and Roma
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Kohlman
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stone Age is a classic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For push your luck, I would +1 for

Ra: The Dice Game which our favorite, and

Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age and

Can't Stop--which is really better with 3 or more though.

Other nice, but heavier dice games have been mentioned. We particularly like

Macao but something a little lighter is

Yspahan.

Hope you find something you like!

*edit: We like all of these because we like some luck in our games, we love dice, and they are all (esp Ra Dice) addicting!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♫ Eric Herman ♫
United States
West Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I like elephants. I like how they swing through trees.
mbmbmbmbmb
Get King of Tokyo when that's available again. Incredibly fun game, and an instant classic for me.

But I'll also plug Dice Town, Can't Stop and Roll Through the Ages in particular. Elder Sign is great, too, though it's too easy to beat.

Eh, actually now that I read your post again, I would nix Dice Town. I love it, but not for only 2 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
I haven't played it, but Dice Age Alpha Edition: Fundamental series looks like it might be the ultimate dice game. I'm tempted to buy it for the looks alone. I've never seen anything else like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alien Frontiers is definitely worth checking out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice Town is great and the Expansion for it...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Bird
Australia
CURRAMBINE
W.A.
flag msg tools
14,100+ Profile Views and counting!
badge
Want Geekgold? Visit my profile!
mbmbmbmbmb
Personally I have a handful of dice games that I love

For something really in-depth I can't resist the gameplay of Dragon Dice. I've only ever played 2 Player thus far but really enjoy the way the dice are used, the variety of the game and the different strategies that can be taken. It can easily be played with a starter but the addictive personality in me found this game turned into a bit of a money sink.

For fillers I love both Cthulhu Dice & Zombie Dice as they offer easy going gameplay for anyone at all; even non-gamers can grow to love them. Though Zombie Dice is probably more approachable...

Lastly, whilst not being solely a dice game, if you want a game where you get to throw ludicrous amounts of dice and rely on them almost completely for the outcome of a game then Monsterpocalypse may be your thing. This game is great if you are into Kaiju and I've had many games go down to the wire where one person believes they are trouncing the other and then the (un)luck of the dice changes everything. Like I said MonPoc isn't particularly a dice game, it's a collectible miniature game actually, but it does give you some reasoning to throw a whole heap of dice constantly for an hour or two

*Edit due to some typos

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Imp Rovius
United States
Fairport
New York
flag msg tools
mb
Cookie Fu
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Roll Through the Ages, Can't Stop and Alien Frontiers.

I do have to disagree with the comment about Can't stop being better with 3 or 4, I think it's at its best with 2. After that, it becomes more luck and less planning.

Catan dice isn't bad, square shooters is fun every now and then, Lords of Vegas is fun too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B Mendez
United States
Eau Claire
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmb
+1 Ra: The Dice Game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kathy Sheets
United States
Stuart
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Lords of Vegas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Alea Iacta Est, Alien Frontiers, and To Court the King.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cookie Fu, Cosmic Wimpout, Martian Dice, Zombie Dice -- all very light and portable. Not-so-light: Dragon Dice, Cities of Doom (Long OOP, however)and Demon Dice.

My wife and I have played Cookie Fu for years -- silly, but fun. It's one of our favorites. Cosmic Wimpout is always in my backpack for play on hikes, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Geneva
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Vegas great game just finished playing it tonight..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren Witt
Canada
Smithers
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pickomino - stupid fun; great for non-gamers as well
Liar's Dice

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lords of Vegas is the game you want. It's really a dice game but the dice are integrated in the theme terrifically. In my personal top 10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.