John McKelvy
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi folks,

Just got the game, played a grand total of TWO matches. I really, really like it - it seems to deliver on all the promises so far.

Quick question about the core decks.
- If going by the recommended setup in the rules, each core deck has 22 units and a balance of 28 supports and tactics. Given the ratios suggested on BGG, the starter decks seem extremely watered down - IE, players simply don;t have enough creatures to keep the game moving.

- Is this an accurate statement or am I missing something?

- One rules error may be a partial explanation. I was empire, she was corrupted by chaos. Anyways, we assumed that developments were played straight from the top of the deck, unrevealed, and not out of hand _by choice_. This led to me playing Verena as a development! Live and learn! I suspect this also made it less likely to get unit into play.

I can't wait to get some more expansions and get into deck building.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Ralya
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Engine Publishing (enginepublishing.com)
badge
The Forgotten Bananas
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not an expert, but I find the initial core decks too light on units to be competitive, although I enjoyed them as intro to the game. 24-28 units is where I usually land with my decks (on the rough template of 50% units, 25% tactics, 25% support).

The core decks are also too spread out in terms of theme, giving you a decent chance of drawing some of the bits for one kind of combo or approach and some of the bits for another (indirect damage and healing for the high elves, let's say), but not enough of either to be truly effective.

If you like the core game experience, pick up Ulthuan (for the other two playable races) and go from there. It's a great game, but you'll likely have even more fun once you can build decks around what interests you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McKelvy
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, Ulthuan is very definitely on the list.

Speaking of which, which online retailer has the best prices for battle-packs? Does anybody offer a deal for buying a complete cycle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think they are at all... Since watered down carries connotations of weakness and since they are all relatively equal in strength there is nothing to worry about. Of course the decks are not "competitive" since there is no deck customization. The Core Set is about giving players a chance to experience the thematic and mechanical elements of each faction. The Core Set cann be played as is for many months or more without any need for expansion... But the game is certainly fun enough that I expect most people to want to expand within a month or two.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McKelvy
United States
Burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrrrmm. . .

I guess I should have explained that I lost both times. . . by being decked By "watered down" I meant, the decks were more anemic and passive that I had been led to expect. My issue isn't with balance at all.

The more I think about it, the more I suspect this was due to our rules misunderstandings re: developments.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, you got developments wrong. You might want to consider merging the two order races for your decks. Look for synerygies between orcs and chaos for example. The Dwarves have some cards that work nicely with empire as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you got decked and you were drawing cards of the top of your deck for developments then absolutely it was because of the rules misunderstanding. Well that and you probably had over developed your Quest zone considering how you were playing.

Try a few more times and see if it makes any difference.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Elijah Snow
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kingbreaker wrote:
- If going by the recommended setup in the rules, each core deck has 22 units and a balance of 28 supports and tactics. Given the ratios suggested on BGG, the starter decks seem extremely watered down - IE, players simply don;t have enough creatures to keep the game moving.

Don't worry too much about the ratios for constructed decks given here. They differ, people have different preferences according to their playstyles, preferred deck types and opposition they usually face. For my 50-cards constructed decks, I aim for 18-24 units, so 22 would be a perfectly fine number. Don't rush to judgement after two matches, just keep playing and make your own experiences.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.