Thunderstone Advance: Towers of Ruin» Forums » General

Subject: Advance & Thunderstone (current) predictions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TA will also probably implement Epic Thunderstone in some form seeing how it gave the game a second wind in the community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
Your cat likes me more
badge
In brightest day / In blackest night / No evil shall escape my sight / Let those who worship evil's might / Beware my power--Green Lantern's light!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd actually be a bit surprised (though happy!) to see Epic presented as a suggested way to play in the official rulebook. It just seems like a bad idea to tell your customers that they can have more fun if they only use a fraction of the cards they paid for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Ting
Malaysia
Sibu
Sarawak
flag msg tools
D6Frog wrote:

3. Advance might have a huge board-game sized board to represent the village and the dungeon. Or maybe two boards. One for the dungeon and one for the village.

Having a dungeon board is certain--question is how big would it be? And price would probably gonna be another issue!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laszlo Stadler
Germany
Munich
flag msg tools
badge
Live long and prosper!
mbmbmbmbmb
I really hope these board(s) will have art on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Artemus Maximus
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AESTHETICS - i'm guessing changes in graphic design of card Templates (borders) and Icons will serve 3 functions: distinguish this new world from previous one, delineate good guys & bad guys in new world in more straightforward manner, and present additional values based on new mechanics. So i'm guessing:

- lighter toned borders for village stuff - 'good guy' design
- darker toned borders for dungeon stuff - 'evil' design
- no idea on what kind of new icons they'd add, especially if using existing heroes...for example, who wants to look up in the rulebook or chart what the new Hit Point Values are for old heroes? For new heroes i could imagine a bunch of stuff to add though. But i HOPE one of the following things remain the same for new format: color, shape, location.
- HOPEFULLY some illustrations for the boards - if not, big shame. The 'rulebook' design of the previous board is ok to teach, but since it's not neccesary and rather blah, I think they heard heard that and want to improve. Seeing that the first stuff that we hear about TS:A is a story, i bet we'll see something more engaging here. My main issue with the existing dungeon board (apart from insignificance once you know the rules well and lack of engaging artwork is set spots for cards) is that there's no place for rank 4, 5, etc. or 2 guardians at rank 0. And if you're using Dragonspire setting, you'd need 2 boards...So hopefully AEG heard their customers and design them to be more flexible for various setup differences.

I'd be very surprised if TS:A cards themselves were not more intuitive in design compared to old cards, and had more 'stuff' on them, reflecting more depth of the Advance version. But if it's done in a way to make previous cards cumbersome to use and/or if the boards have a boring beige wall look to them, AEG drops the ball, imo. (even though considering the former is not an easy task - they chose to incorporate previous cards, and sounds like Heroes play a significant role: the only ones who can combat evil directly per story text?)

MECHANICS - stumped here, since somewhat restricted by previous cards' existing layouts...but i'd guess:

- new buying/selling system: there seems to be somewhat common complaints on how gold works
- "Epic" rules - i think these can be incorporated to some extent - after all, it sounds like there could be drastic changes to setup in TS:A. You'd still be using previous cards, and this doesn't change the official rules from the regular TS products. Especially if existing cards are meant to augment the new world - you wouldn't use them ALL anyway, which sounds like the intent, to me at least. An "Epic"-style format in TS:A would allow for this.
- Quest map/board, Quest (objective) cards - this I think would be a great way to introduce more theme into the game!
- Tableau: I can see TS:A using some sort of mechanic that allows certain cards players control, like Heroes, to remain in play. Many new card games that use the deck-building mechanic use this now and this seems like an opportunity to keep up with the Jones' (or surpass them!)
- More useful starting cards: Militia, Iron Rations, Daggers - I expect to see starting cards that are more useful, while still remaining basic, or weaker, in comparison. Many ways to do this, but I hope AEG takes the opportunity to address players' complaints on how these cards function in TS.

that being said, my guesses are usually way off

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Asmor wrote:
I'd actually be a bit surprised (though happy!) to see Epic presented as a suggested way to play in the official rulebook. It just seems like a bad idea to tell your customers that they can have more fun if they only use a fraction of the cards they paid for.

Haha good point! I don't think they'd implement it straight up but perhaps some variation of it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Ward
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know I would like to see a better implementation of dungeon/environment. Something that establishes a sense of exploration. Wouldn't mind a villain/event deck that flips every turn, or keeps moving where the current Thunderstone bogs down (staring at the same 3 monsters in play for 20 minutes).

Not hating though - and will keep playing Thunderstone for a long time in its current form!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Fernandez
Philippines
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
stadi wrote:
I really hope these board(s) will have art on them.

I agree 100%. I was a little disappointed that the Dragonspire board was so plain. I definitely hope the board/s have some wicked thematic art on them!

And hopefully won't be flipped the wrong way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
charlesting wrote:
D6Frog wrote:

3. Advance might have a huge board-game sized board to represent the village and the dungeon. Or maybe two boards. One for the dungeon and one for the village.

Having a dungeon board is certain--question is how big would it be? And price would probably gonna be another issue!

I'm not thinking it'll have much. The game is listed as retail price $50, but online vendors are offering it for relatively cheap. For example sci-fi city has it for $25, preorder. I'm assuming they don't sell for under cost, so if the cost to print the game is less than $20, then it probably doesn't go too crazy with the boards/mats, etc.

http://shop.sci-fi-city.com/product_info.php?products_id=625...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prakash Madhav
United States
Maineville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I don't know if these are really predictions. They're more like hopes.

I hope they streamline and simplify the rules. We always had to whip out the rules on when things triggered during visits to the dungeon. Too many arguments over this left a bad taste in people's mouths sometimes.

Also, I hope they add rules to the base game to greatly increase the speed of the game and make the flow of the game more consistent. It should not take more than an hour or so to complete a game. We should not all be going through early phases of resting, then buying, then initial dungeon wins, then lulls because we can't kill things, for example.

Finally, if they plan on having a set number of village cards that are randomly selected, I hope they have an intelligent way of randomizing the cards. We shouldn't have to rely on an app to make sure we get a mix of cards that work well. It's nothing against the app or any sort of delay caused by using it. I just think the innate design of the game shouldn't be forcing you to do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan S
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
What!? I finally get my very own video game, but it's a mobile game?!
mbmbmbmbmb
medchem30 wrote:

I hope they streamline and simplify the rules. We always had to whip out the rules on when things triggered during visits to the dungeon. Too many arguments over this left a bad taste in people's mouths sometimes.

I hear ya there, big time. I've had a couple of Thunderstone sessions where I got into arguments with a dude in my play group. I forget the exact argument, but it had something to do with trashing a card to get an effect. I scoured the rulebooks and managed to find some line in a glossary that backed me up, which made him really mad, but it was just one of those things that could have been remedied by clearer card text.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Piotr Jekel
Poland
Torun
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I want a new official rule (punishment) for attacking a monster and not defeating it. It is just lame and unthematic to play strategically when you have 10 or so more victory points than your opponent and devoid him of a chance to score. Minus victory points or minus experience could work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Mitchell
United Kingdom
Brighton
East Sussex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/7061442#7061442

This is a great variant that punishes you for losing. I'm hoping the level on the monster relates to a 3 tiered dungeon so tougher monsters come out later. See the end of the above thread.

Plus the dungeon can win and monsters can rampage on the village. Also monsters are not initially revealed. I really hope some of this variants great ideas are used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.