8 Posts

Eclipse» Forums » Rules

Subject: Ancients and Pinning rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb
I've read quite a few session reports in which players claim to have been surrounded by "Ancients" sectors, thus limiting their early game expansion. However, it just occurred to me that surely Ancient ships must obey the "Pinning" rules, meaning it should be legal to explore through an Ancient sector.

Example:

Action #1: Explore - Sector placed containing 1 Ancient ship
Action #2: Move - 2 Interceptors moved to Ancient sector
Action #3; Explore - Sector placed adjacent to Ancient sector (explored by unpinned ship in Ancient sector)

Is Action #3 above legal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sampo Sikiö
Finland
Espoo
flag msg tools
designer
it's no secret that the stars are falling from the sky / it's no secret that our world is in darkness tonight / they say the sun is sometimes eclipsed by a moon / you know i don't see you when she walks in the room
badge
Shapers of Dorado
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Diachuk
msg tools
mbmbmb
Legal, yes. However, it means you'll need at least one additional Interceptor (since you can't Explore from a pinned ship), and it means that you'll have to face the Ancients at the end of the round with two or one Interceptor, usually resulting merely in lost Interceptors. And if the space you explored also had an Ancient, you're even worse off.

However, if you really don't want to be boxed in by Ancients, you can simply choose to discard a tile instead of placing it. This uses less actions than the scenario you describe (as yours requires at least a build action and a move action followed by the Explore plus the original exploration which totals four actions, instead of just another Explore action totalling two actions) as well as costing less resources (no chance of a destroyed interceptor or two effectively costing you Materials plus a later Build action to rebuild if you lost your starting Interceptor).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko Nitovuori
Finland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taggedjc wrote:
Legal, yes. However, it means you'll need at least one additional Interceptor (since you can't Explore from a pinned ship), and it means that you'll have to face the Ancients at the end of the round with two or one Interceptor, usually resulting merely in lost Interceptors. And if the space you explored also had an Ancient, you're even worse off.

However, if you really don't want to be boxed in by Ancients, you can simply choose to discard a tile instead of placing it. This uses less actions than the scenario you describe (as yours requires at least a build action and a move action followed by the Explore plus the original exploration which totals four actions, instead of just another Explore action totalling two actions) as well as costing less resources (no chance of a destroyed interceptor or two effectively costing you Materials plus a later Build action to rebuild if you lost your starting Interceptor).

If your interceptors have 1 extra hull, at least one (very likely 2) will survive if you retreat them on the first turn, and you can even retreat to your newly found hex beyond the Ancients.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Diachuk
msg tools
mbmbmb
So you use an Upgrade action to stick a Hull on your interceptors. Even if the 1-hull would be of small use later, you would be using yet another Action (or half-action if something else needed upgrading as well) and you might not be able to retreat past the Ancients if your new tile had Ancients as well. Not to mention any further logistics problems by having an Ancient or two in between your territories. No, I think it would be much more typical to either be going in with the intent to defeat the Ancients such as with a Cruiser, or you should have discarded the tile instead of keeping it when you first explored.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a quick question about pinning in overall.

if I move 1 interceptor into a hex with 1 enemy ship I must stop, cause im pinned.

then I move a second ship into the hex.

Can i now choose wich ship I want to continue with or is the first ship pinned for the rest of the turn? And my only option would be to move my second ship?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wim van Gruisen
Netherlands
Den Bosch
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
You can choose with which of your ships will be pinned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Chuckle
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
NappyPlayer wrote:
I've read quite a few session reports in which players claim to have been surrounded by "Ancients" sectors, thus limiting their early game expansion. However, it just occurred to me that surely Ancient ships must obey the "Pinning" rules, meaning it should be legal to explore through an Ancient sector.

Example:

Action #1: Explore - Sector placed containing 1 Ancient ship
Action #2: Move - 2 Interceptors moved to Ancient sector
Action #3; Explore - Sector placed adjacent to Ancient sector (explored by unpinned ship in Ancient sector)

Is Action #3 above legal?

Yes, you can do it.

It might actually work out if you are exploring outer sectors and trying to explore away from the enemies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.