Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen a few threads touching on this, but I'm hoping for some more specific help than I could find.

I have tried this game twice now, both times 3-player and both times it ran too long to finish (one of us had a curfew). But more importantly, the game felt broken to us.

I have confidence and faith that the number of people who love this game is an indication that the game isn't actually broken, but we need help learning how we're supposed to be playing.

Specifically, these starter set decks are weird. We've been playing Stark/Baratheon/Lannister and both game have been S and L teaming up to trying to hold off the unstoppable tide of B. The Baratheon player, in both games, effortlessly brought many more characters into play, with more strength in all three spheres of conflict. He was also the only player with cards to make use of Influence. The usual power totals were something like 1-4 for Stark and Lannister and around 12 for Baratheon when each game ended.

I'm looking for guidance on A) how to play Stark or Lannister "correctly" and/or B) how to rebuild the decks to better distribute the card pools.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Dallas
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Heh, unusual, normally people complain about Stark It sounds like Bara just got a good draw and Stark and Lannister didn't.

Baratheon is the "rush" house, so you have to keep a close eye on their power and what cards they have on the board and keep them constantly in check. Use of Valar (the plot that kills everyone) is important as if Baratheon player gets Robert out you want to be able to kill him quickly. It is also important to not let them get much unopposed. Lannister should easily beat them in Intrigue and gold production and Stark should beat them in military so I'd try to make good use of the titles and the other houses strengths.

But also keep in mind that getting to 15 power can be more difficult than you'd think even when at 12. I've seen many games where a person jumped up to an early lead but couldn't seal the deal and their deck stalls out leaving the other person a window to get the win.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Chambliss
United States
Phenix City
Alabama
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In teaching any new game to people they tend to run long. I personally think this game is great but has a lot of moving parts (its complex). Everyone in my group has loved it oncethey learned how to play. I personally think this game has a kinda steep learning curve to people not used to board games. We changed the score to win limit to 10 until the people I play with on a regular basis learned the game/cards better. Again, simply because the time it was taking to complete a game. Now that the guys have learned it, we are wanting a longer game so we went back to 15. I guess my point is don't get discouraged its a good game try a lower score limit til you get a better hold of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This game is notoriously swingy. I've grabbed 14 power and then not able to win a challenge or dominance after that and watched my power shrink to three while someone else walked away with the win. It happens.

Baratheon, as Darksbane said is a rush house. They will grab a lot of power quickly and have decent icon diversification. End result is you can't sleep on them. When a major character hits the board Stark should start trying to kill it. Bara should never be allowed to have more than three characters on the board. Anything more than that and you are looking for trouble. Lannister should be hitting them for intrigue almost as frequently as they hit Stark and direct a number of their control effects against anyone with renown.

Also Title selection is key, especially in a Three-Way where choosing the wrong title in the wrong round can essentially make it impossible to stop someone from winning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.