Recommend
21 
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Risk: Metal Gear Solid» Forums » Reviews

Subject: A simple and wordy review for Risk: Metal Gear Solid rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joshua Peterson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
INTRODUCTION TO THE REVIEW
-SKIP TO "THE ACTUAL REVIEW" IF YOU DON'T CARE ABOUT FLUFF-

Risk. It's been around for years. A game that has supplied literal hours of gameplay opportunities for those with a hankering for non complex yet strategic worldwide domination. And that was the main problem.

After years of being a fun diversion, people began to recognize Risk not as a strategic world conquest throwdown but as a long and boring slog through napoleonic empire building. It stopped being known as a game and became known as "doesn't that take forever?" The owners of the license realized this and realeased a clever limited playtest of new Risk rules under the name "Risk: Black Ops". The title and box alone piqued the interest of many a nerd here on the geek. The leaked reviews of the new objective rules returned many to the status of what Stan "The Man" Lee (creator of the vast majority of the Marvel comics universe) might call "true believers".

THE ACTUAL REVIEW
Metal Gear Solid Risk. Bottom line, it takes the new revised rules system tested by 'Risk: Black Ops' and tailors it to the MGS universe in a way that makes for a great game.

For the casual player looking for a fun game of Risk look no further. With the inclusion of player set up rules it streamlines the speed of the game immensly giving players the opportunity to do away with what can be percieved as "mundane strategy". The objectives are variable and varied, fit with the theme and speed up the winning conditions of the game.

But the things which really set MGS Risk apart are the shop cards, bosses and the mobile 3 territory zone 'Outer Haven'.

The Drebin's Shop Cards:
For the cost of 3,000 Drebin's points (you earn Drebin's points by controlling territories) you can draw a card which will either be an action card (offensive) or tactical (defensive or strategic). Either way, the cards are super fun to use as long you have enough Dreebin's points to pay the cost. They add a great surprise 'take that' factor to Risk games and actually creates a more realistic 'I'm not sure what he's doing' to the war game. (My favorite card is 'Cardboard Box' which allows you to manuevere through enemy territories. The image of a herd of cardboard boxes moving unseen across an enemy field unseen makes me laugh.)

Bosses
Bosses are fun and bring an 8 sided die to replace a 6 sided die which makes attacking and defending with them an attractive proposition. But all bosses are not created equal. Whether you want to manuevere, attack, defend or strategize will determine your preference of boss. The only downside is that each boss is different and the boss you want may be in someone elses control. The solution: attack his boss with everything you got or get someone to do it for you. His army dies and that way you can hire the boss for yourself. (Solid Snake always has a cardboard box, which makes him awesome.)


Outer Haven
The mobile zone. It is an awesome strategic game changer when controlled by a player. One minute your army is at one continent, the next minute it's at another. The only downside is that you have to get a little lucky to be in position to control it, because before a player controls it, it switches continents at random and there is only one docking station per continent.

For the traditional world conquest Risk player, that game is still available in MGS Risk, it just includes all the extra goodies mentioned above. All in all Metal Gear Solid Risk is probably the best version of Risk I've ever played. It's a great game.

CONCLUSION TO THE REVIEW
The makers of Risk took the considerations of somewhat valid complaints about a dated board game and updated them for the modern player while maintaing the integrity of the game and allowing for classic play. It's still Risk, just with options... and Solid Snake. Solid Freakin' Snake. That is cool.

Until next time "True Believers"!
Josh "The Man" Ua
21 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klure Junior
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
Essssssss Teeeeee EYE!
badge
My Dog Abi
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WayneSolo wrote:
All in all Metal Gear Solid Risk is probably the best version of Risk I've ever played. It's a great game.


Unless you have played RISK Legacy, that is the best RISK ever made. Though I really do like MGS edition.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Lizarraga
Mexico
Merida
Yucatan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
klurejr wrote:
WayneSolo wrote:
All in all Metal Gear Solid Risk is probably the best version of Risk I've ever played. It's a great game.


Unless you have played RISK Legacy, that is the best RISK ever made. Though I really do like MGS edition.


Risk Legacy falls very short when compared to Risk 2210AD and Risk Star Wars Original Trilogy. These two are considered the best risk versions of all time. Risk Legacy is nothing else than classic Risk in a board that mutates game after game, but you become stuck to playing it with the same group of people every time.

For myself, being a die-hard fan of Metal Gear Solid and everything related to it, I am very curious on knowing where this game really stands in comparison with the two I mention above. Everything I have read about MGS Risk says how good it is.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Peterson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Axel wrote:
For myself, being a die-hard fan of Metal Gear Solid and everything related to it, I am very curious on knowing where this game really stands in comparison with the two I mention above. Everything I have read about MGS Risk says how good it is.


Risk 2210AD and Risk Star Wars Original Trilogy are less like traditional Risk than MGS Risk. 2210AD has the whole energy thing going on and Star Wars has the unique faction dependant winning conditions. They are both great games. MGS is more like a traditional Risk with extra goodies (and the updated rules set), while 2210AD and Star Wars are more like Updated or Copies of Risk. Does that make sense?

Besides you can find MGS Risk for around $30 US.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Lizarraga
Mexico
Merida
Yucatan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
WayneSolo wrote:
Does that make sense?


Absolutely. Thank you very much for you insight. So I believe it is absolutely worth to buy this game and then I can say good bye to my vanilla updated Risk.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ed gaga
United States
California
flag msg tools
Axel wrote:
klurejr wrote:
WayneSolo wrote:
All in all Metal Gear Solid Risk is probably the best version of Risk I've ever played. It's a great game.


Unless you have played RISK Legacy, that is the best RISK ever made. Though I really do like MGS edition.


Risk Legacy falls very short when compared to Risk 2210AD and Risk Star Wars Original Trilogy. These two are considered the best risk versions of all time. Risk Legacy is nothing else than classic Risk in a board that mutates game after game, but you become stuck to playing it with the same group of people every time.

For myself, being a die-hard fan of Metal Gear Solid and everything related to it, I am very curious on knowing where this game really stands in comparison with the two I mention above. Everything I have read about MGS Risk says how good it is.


Imo, MGS Risk is more like a combination between Risk 2210 and Godstorm. The Drebin cards are more reminiscent of Command cards in 2210 and Spell cards in Godstorm. Where as the Bosses having the ability to act as die-roll modifiers, which is much the same as the Gods in Godstorm. The objective system is obviously just the new take on Risk that started with Risk Revised. To me, MGS Risk is extremely fun, being the first Risk game using the new objective-based system WITH the use of Command/Spell cards and 'Gods'. The developers definitely put a lot of work into MGS Risk, trying to fine tune multiple elements from different Risk versions all into one game. I would say they did a very good job of it as well.

The one main difference that everyone will notice though, is that MGS Risk will only take about 2 hours to finish at most as long as everyone knows the rules and knows how to play. Could be a little longer with newer players. In my experiences, 2210 usually ends in 5-6 hours if not longer.

I've done a more in-depth review of MGS Risk, along with my first play-through, here if anyone is interested: http://evgaga.weebly.com/1/post/2012/01/risk-metal-gear-soli...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Peterson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taifawkes wrote:
The developers definitely put a lot of work into MGS Risk, trying to fine tune multiple elements from different Risk versions all into one game. I would say they did a very good job of it as well.

The one main difference that everyone will notice though, is that MGS Risk will only take about 2 hours to finish at most as long as everyone knows the rules and knows how to play. Could be a little longer with newer players.


Agreed. Man, I wish I'd been able to say it like that in my review. :) Great insight.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klure Junior
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
Essssssss Teeeeee EYE!
badge
My Dog Abi
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Axel wrote:

Risk Legacy falls very short when compared to Risk 2210AD and Risk Star Wars Original Trilogy. These two are considered the best risk versions of all time. Risk Legacy is nothing else than classic Risk in a board that mutates game after game, but you become stuck to playing it with the same group of people every time.

For myself, being a die-hard fan of Metal Gear Solid and everything related to it, I am very curious on knowing where this game really stands in comparison with the two I mention above. Everything I have read about MGS Risk says how good it is.


Well, lets put it this way, In My Opinion RISK Legacy is the greatest RISK of all time, and no you do not need to play with the same group every time, that is why there are more than 5 slots on the board to sign your name as a player (on the back not on the playing board side).

I own both 2210 and Original Trilogy Star Wars, and I enjoy both of them very much, but the customization to the board of Legacy was so much fun I see this as being a game I will play over and over and over just to see how the decisions people make modify the game board over time.

Back on topic, MGS edition is also a very good iteration of the game.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Lizarraga
Mexico
Merida
Yucatan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
klurejr wrote:
Well, lets put it this way, In My Opinion RISK Legacy is the greatest RISK of all time, and no you do not need to play with the same group every time, that is why there are more than 5 slots on the board to sign your name as a player (on the back not on the playing board side).

I own both 2210 and Original Trilogy Star Wars, and I enjoy both of them very much, but the customization to the board of Legacy was so much fun I see this as being a game I will play over and over and over just to see how the decisions people make modify the game board over time.

Back on topic, MGS edition is also a very good iteration of the game.


I agree with that you do not NEED to play the game with the same players everytime, but the game is designed to be played that way. It is designed to be played in a campaign of 15 games with the same group of players. The 5 factions will evolve to fit the playing style of its controller and the sealed packs that are opened after certain events of the game will affect the game definitely for the games to come.

Don't take me wrong. I think Risk Legacy is a GREAT game and is one of the most refreshing implementations of Risk in ages. However, to get the most of it you have to play it in a full campaign, and that places it in a different category than the rest of the Risk games.

I'm glad you also enjoy 2210 and SW:OT because I do too. Although I am really looking forward to buy MGS Risk over Legacy since I am not into campaigning.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ed gaga
United States
California
flag msg tools
WayneSolo wrote:
taifawkes wrote:
The developers definitely put a lot of work into MGS Risk, trying to fine tune multiple elements from different Risk versions all into one game. I would say they did a very good job of it as well.

The one main difference that everyone will notice though, is that MGS Risk will only take about 2 hours to finish at most as long as everyone knows the rules and knows how to play. Could be a little longer with newer players.


Agreed. Man, I wish I'd been able to say it like that in my review. Great insight.


thank you! im hoping to actually play a 5 player game soon, though. i feel like im really missing out on how MGS Risk is supposed to be played with because ive only played 3 player games.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Peterson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
taifawkes wrote:
WayneSolo wrote:
taifawkes wrote:
The developers definitely put a lot of work into MGS Risk, trying to fine tune multiple elements from different Risk versions all into one game. I would say they did a very good job of it as well.

The one main difference that everyone will notice though, is that MGS Risk will only take about 2 hours to finish at most as long as everyone knows the rules and knows how to play. Could be a little longer with newer players.


Agreed. Man, I wish I'd been able to say it like that in my review. :) Great insight.


thank you! im hoping to actually play a 5 player game soon, though. i feel like im really missing out on how MGS Risk is supposed to be played with because ive only played 3 player games.


I've only played 4 player. I would like to play 5 sometime as well. I love this game :)
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Diaz
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I was wondering about whether to pick this up or not. I think my group and I would enjoy this
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Peterson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lrdjr wrote:
Thanks for the review. I was wondering about whether to pick this up or not. I think my group and I would enjoy this


You're welcome. I sincerely hope you have a great time!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ed gaga
United States
California
flag msg tools
just wanted to give anyone who's still interested a look into a another review of a 4-player MGS Risk game i played recently.

the link is here:
http://evgaga.weebly.com/1/post/2012/01/mgs-risk-game-2-over...

this game was especially entertaining as there was plenty of abuse with the drebin cards, some scheme-y tactics, but also some good old fashion classic risk deathball-steamrolling armies.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Coulombe
United States
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Thanks to ed gaga and Joshua Peterson for their reviews: it inspired me to try the game and now I've created my own:
http://www.alexcoulombe.com/gamedesign/2012/02/risk-metal-ge...

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Ptak
United States
Livermore
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
klurejr wrote:
WayneSolo wrote:
All in all Metal Gear Solid Risk is probably the best version of Risk I've ever played. It's a great game.


Unless you have played RISK Legacy, that is the best RISK ever made. Though I really do like MGS edition.


I dunno. I've collected almost all of the Risk variants in the past decade and I'm getting rather weary of Risk Legacy. This might have something to do with our always-winning-member essentially hoarding the victories for himself and making it easier for him to win in between game sessions. This mandates other players to gang up on him to prevent him from winning before the game is set in stone so that the field has been evened out.

Legacy is more of a tangent to a steady line of evolution anyway. There's just too much different from what came before to actually call it a line in the development of Risk variants.

Metal Gear Solid on the other hand clearly shows it is the latest in a line of games that are gradually evolving a new way to operate Risk. Black Ops was first, followed by Halo wars Risk (which didn't add much except for leaders). Now we've reintroduced distinct commanders, currency and counter cards, and now we have a new thing in the form of a mobile continent.

I need to get this to see how it works. I can't wait to see how StarCraft Risk will change up the formula, especially when compared to the knick-knacks in the FFG counterpart.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dar G
msg tools
Starcraft risk should definately have an economy component to it like mgs. maybe minerals and vespene gas?
the different races should also have different attributes rather than just being different playing peices
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Aronovici
United States
Anaheim
California
flag msg tools
mb
Having played original Risk and Star Wars Original Trilogy, Risk, I must say that this version also has some kick and flavor to it.

Star Wars Original Trilogy is awesome because of the death star alone and so many ways screw people, plus the third faction makes it challenging to win.

As a fan of Risk, both old and new, I think that MGS is as good as the Star Wars version and it fact that I love both franchises makes it hard to pick a clear winner.

For us, we think that the MGS rules seem simpler and straight forward as with the Star Wars version, there is a bit of complexity of ruling and winning.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
On the board, the Outer Haven Point near Australia has a massive 6, but the number in parentheses is 5. Is this a misprint?



 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klure Junior
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
Essssssss Teeeeee EYE!
badge
My Dog Abi
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Yugblad wrote:
On the board, the Outer Haven Point near Australia has a massive 6, but the number in parentheses is 5. Is this a misprint?





Yes. Australia is Six, Asia is 5, they got swapped in printing.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Chaplin
United Kingdom
Nottingham
Ice-choked tower, Mondavia, Nanglangka.
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
klurejr wrote:
Yugblad wrote:
On the board, the Outer Haven Point near Australia has a massive 6, but the number in parentheses is 5. Is this a misprint?





Yes. Australia is Six, Asia is 5, they got swapped in printing.


That's a shame.


 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro Lizarraga
Mexico
Merida
Yucatan
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This was fixed in later prints. Only first run has this glitch.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manu
China
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thx for the review. Risk MGS may be a good game, but it is a very poor adaptation of the video game and its universe. What remains of MGS is just the name. Moreover, choosing the "adapt" Risk to the MGS4 and not one of the better ones was a mistake in my opinion. MGS4 was great but paled in comparison with MGS3 or MGS1.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.