Sid Meier's Civilization: The Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Wonders rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vasilis Kontogiannis
Greece
Heraklion, Crete
flag msg tools
Can you purchase any wonder you like at any time or you have to be in the appropriate era? In other words if you are in ancient era can you purchase a wonder of the medieval era?

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the beginning of the game you have to set up the Wonders so that you make a stack of wonders with the following layout: the Modern Wonders are shuffled and stacked face-down, the Medieval Wonders are shuffled and stacked face-down on top of the Modern Wonders and then finally the Ancient Wonders are shuffled and stacked face-down on top of the Medieval Wonders.

If a player is entitled to an Ancient Wonder, they take the top Wonder from the stack.

Finally, you turn up the top 4 Wonders and place them face-up on the board in the appropriate locations.

You can ONLY purchase Wonders that are face-up at the moment.

You can buy ANY Wonder that is face-up as long as you can afford it.

So, to answer your question, if you can see a Medieval Wonder, you can buy it even though you can still see Ancient Wonders.

If you want more details, there's a good explanation in the rulebook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis Kontogiannis
Greece
Heraklion, Crete
flag msg tools
Thank you for the reply, it's clear to me now.Nevertheless, I think it's a bit abstract to buy Wonders not belonging to the appropriate era but it has to do with the rules of the game.

Thanks again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James W
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's ambiguous and ill-defined to say that you are currently in a specific era. Please explain what you mean by that.

For example, how exactly do YOU define the transition from the "Ancient Era" to the "Medieval Era"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis Kontogiannis
Greece
Heraklion, Crete
flag msg tools
Well, as I see it from all civilization games played so far, Computer games and boardgames, easily somebody could say that

I - Ancient
II - Medieval
III -Industrial
IV - Modern

The above example easily can be defined for this game since on the wonders the era is written on the card and can be in line with the technology(I, II, III, IV and finally V Space era).

But even if this is not the case discovering pottery, philosophy, agriculture, horseback riding and all the other technologies (in I era, pyramid level one), I don't understand how somebody could purchase a wonder like Kremlin,or United Nations or Big Ben which is Modern era(written on the card).

Having said that I think this mechanism is abstract and not well defined.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Pride
Indonesia
Jakarta
DKI Jakarta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
vasilisk wrote:
Well, as I see it from all civilization games played so far, Computer games and boardgames, easily somebody could say that

I - Ancient
II - Medieval
III -Industrial
IV - Modern

The above example easily can be defined for this game since on the wonders the era is written on the card and can be in line with the technology(I, II, III, IV and finally V Space era).

But even if this is not the case discovering pottery, philosophy, agriculture, horseback riding and all the other technologies (in I era, pyramid level one), I don't understand how somebody could purchase a wonder like Kremlin,or United Nations or Big Ben which is Modern era(written on the card).

Having said that I think this mechanism is abstract and not well defined.

It seems abstract, but I can assure you when you play, it doesn't feels out of place.

In fact, I could dare you to try, that it's near impossible to build medieval wonders if you don't have lv II tech, and I'm pretty much sure you cannot build Modern wonders if you have only lv I tech.

The game doesn't need additional rules to limit wonders. The difficulty to build it itself is already the limitation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arandor .
Netherlands
Helmond
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darkmot wrote:
In fact, I could dare you to try, that it's near impossible to build medieval wonders if you don't have lv II tech, and I'm pretty much sure you cannot build Modern wonders if you have only lv I tech.

Sure you can. Even with lvl. 1 Techs (Animal Husbandry -> Grain -> +3 hammers; Navigations -> Harbors -> +1 hammers; Pottery -> Graneries -> +1 hammers) a city can easily get 8-10 hammers.

* 2 scouts (3 if you're Spain) -> +4/+6 hammers
* Itchen Chaa -> +3 hammers
* invest in infrastructure -> +2 hammers
* caravan -> +2 hammers
* workers (from village tile) -> +4 hammers
* We Love the Despot/Queen/President -> +4/+6/+8 hammers
* trade: 3-for-1 (or 2-for-1 if you're playing America)
* there's a Great Person that lets you trade culture for hammers
* discounts: effectively +5 hammers usually (there are exceptions), but usually for the Modern Techs you need lvl. 3+ tech for the discount
* I'm sure I missed ways

It's not LIKELY to EASILY get 25+ hammers for a Modern Wonder using only lvl. 1 techs, but it's entirely POSSIBLE.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dragan Lujic
Denmark
flag msg tools
Arandor wrote:
* trade: 3-for-1 (or 2-for-1 if you're playing America)

Isn't it 3-for-2 for the Americans? (Meaning they get 2 production for every 3 trade converted...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Pride
Indonesia
Jakarta
DKI Jakarta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Arandor wrote:

It's not LIKELY to EASILY get 25+ hammers for a Modern Wonder using only lvl. 1 techs, but it's entirely POSSIBLE.

I forgot to add "try to do it in normal game environment" . I don't think you can do it unless like you mention it you get bonus from village (then again, in theme, you could say foreign workers brings foreign tech), or culture cards, in which you must mine it to get the "we love... day". Could you do this in less than 12 turns? While pertaining chance to win? Impossible.

Unless, you want the goal of the entire game to build Modern Wonders with only lv 1 tech, and not to win, then yes, it might be possible . Who knows, maybe in the history your civ will be remembered in equivalent like Inca. Keep hoping .

(And yes, it's 3 for 2 as American)

Edit: Now that I think of it, it's also impossible to win with only lv1 tech, wonders or not. So, let's just say I was wrong in my earlier post .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Jackson
msg tools
Abyad wrote:
Well, it takes a while before Modern Wonders become available. Players will have to build at least one Ancient Wonder and all four Medieval Wonders before they can get acces to the Modern Wonders. Except with Egypt who starts with an Ancient Wonder, then a Medieval Wonder will be availabe from the start. But, Wonders are expensive, you have to have a well developed city with enough production and/or (research) techs that give you discount and/or other means in order to build them. So by then, when Modern Wonders become available and players have the means to build them, you could say that they have reached the Modern Era.

Is this a rule from the core game? Sorry just a new player and I actually skimmed through some of the rules from the rule book. I've only seen and played the core game.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricardo Donoso
Brazil
RIBEIRÃO PRETO
Sao Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Abyad wrote:

Players will have to build at least one Ancient Wonder and all four Medieval Wonders before they can get acces to the Modern Wonders.

This is just not right.

For a modern wonder to become available the players will have to go through the wonder deck.

Player don't have to build 1 ancient and all the modern, any combination of 5 wonders will get a modern wonder to the market.

Also, Gunpowder reads "Obsolete and ancient or medieval wonder", and, to eliminate any doubts, in a section named something like "New Rules and Clarifications" on FaF it is explained that gunpowder CAN be used to obsolete a wonder still in the market, and is a good strategy sometimes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.