Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
Designer of Titans of Steel - www.titansofsteel.de
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I do own the original game and it collected dust.

I understand that getting the revised rules is the way to revive Tannhäuser. I'm willing to spend some more money but don't want to buy all stuff available. What do I need to get the most value for my money ?

I'm thinking about Daedalus and the Equipment Cards as a start. Is this a good idea ? If I want to spice up the character setup, what figurine packs do you advise ?

EDIT:

Ok, next time I will do my forum research first before posting.

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/708962/thinking-about-ge...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Leigh
United Kingdom
Richmond
North Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tannhauser is well worth getting into, especially if the theme appeals to you (as I suspect it does).

I really like the new shogunate characters. That might make a good start.

However, Tannhauser is not necessarily ideal for gamers on a tight budget. It has cost me a fair penny, but I definitely feel as though I have got my money's worth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Corbett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes equipment cards next even if it's the only piece you buy. From there it's your own choice.

The map packs are nice and they are two to choose from. Maybe because it's newer to me but I think I like Hinansho maps best. Even the individual figures all comes with a scenario so you could always pick one you like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I find it sad that they are now splitting the components even more.

Basic game is two factions and a double sided map for about 70$.

Novgorod is just one faction with only one new map for about 60$.

If you want to play the Shogunate you have to buy the map pack and 4 figure packs for about 89$.

I really don't understand why they are getting more and more expensive.

I hope I will get my copy of the revised rules (hard to buy in germany) and the equipment cards to see wether I want to sink more money into the game.

Seems Earth Reborn is a nice alternative, if not for the steep learning curve. This will turn off my friends.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
LarkinVB wrote:

Perhaps it because production costs and transportation fees have gone up in the last 5 years or so. Plastic is more expensive, paper is more expensive, shipping is drastically more expensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
juan
Argentina
Ciudad Autónoma de Buenos Aires
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
-Revised Rules
-Equipment cards

THEN, we discuss the next thing to buy. But those 2 are almost like a need for the core game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anarchy wrote:
LarkinVB wrote:

Perhaps it because production costs and transportation fees have gone up in the last 5 years or so. Plastic is more expensive, paper is more expensive, shipping is drastically more expensive.

My examples show the actual prices without shipping. So it is possible for FFG to sell the base game now for 70$ but the japapense faction is split and will cost me 89$ with less content. According to your argument I must assume they sell the base game with a loss or the japanse expansion is overpriced.

Why didn't they pack them into one box like novgorod for 60$ ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miah Terry
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They sell the original set at a near loss, and he was quite right, as someone who works on printing, the price of ink alone has trippled in the last 5 years.

I won't be suprised if we see a price increase on the Core Set, and Novgorod this year.

But there is another reason, after a bunch of research, FFG found that most peaple would rather buy only what they want, some folks just want the map and not another faction, etc., etc.

Back on topic...
My top five

1. Revised Rules
2. Equipment Cards
3. Trooper Packs (start with your favorite faction)
4. any Map Pack
5. WOLF

Don't buy Earth Reborn, it is a truly ugly, and overly comlpicated game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, thanks for your advice. Why Trooper Packs instead of heroes and why Wolf ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miah Terry
United States
Huntington
West Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really find the trooper packs provide more options then one single hero, and they include the really powerful trooper command packs.

With the Trooppers you can really tailor your team to your needs, for instance; if you need more fire power for the Reich, then you can bring two Schocktruppen.

WOLF is a good choice because as a mercenary he can be used with any faction, expanding your options for all your squads, with one figure, but Asteros may better suit your need (I find him overpowered however).

But if your looking for a faction specific Hero...
Union- Hoax
Reich- Hoss
Matriarchy- Oksana

All this is my opinion of course, but I've palyed hundreds of games of Tannhauser, and this is what I like best.

Here, maybe some of these videos will help:

http://miah000.blogspot.com/p/tannhauser-video-review-series...

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Schmidt
Germany
Kiel
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your support. Revised rulebook and equipment cards are on their way. Will play with them and see wether TH has improved for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.