Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So another year passes, and thanks to my present-challenged family I find myself with a small amount of cash with which to purchase a new game.

I've been thinking of a few things...

RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940 - Been playing The Hardest Days, this could be good, or it could too similar.

A Week In Hell: The Battle of Hue - Looks fun, but I think I might lose interest too quickly, once a strategy is found.

Infidel - I like the period, and looks like it could be fun and fairly quick to play.

I play a lot of games solitaire, and I don't have the space or time to keep things set up for days, so that is the main constraint on choice(along with cost). So any ideas are welcome, I'm quite happy to take a look at anything.

I'd also like to make a small gesture of thanks to the people who contribute to this forum, answer questions from new users, and generally help people out. It's thanks to all of you that I have this new found interest. I'd love to offer a new game to someone, but my meager funds are unfortunately not going to stretch that far right now. So what I will offer is some of my time, which is very precious to me. For one person who replies with a suggestion, picked at random, I will build and post to them a print and play wargame. I was thinking of the Valor & Victory starter kit, with rules, and the maps and counters to play a couple of scenarios, but if someone really wants something else, I could be open to reasonable suggestion.

I'm no crafting master, so it'll take me some time, and I'll build it to the best of my ability, but it probably won't be perfect.

Happy New Year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stig Morten
Norway
Kvernaland
flag msg tools
Thunder Alley: Crew Chief Expansion - Coming soon to Kickstarter!
badge
Evil lurks here!
mbmbmbmbmb
Operation Jubilee: Dieppe, August 1942 could be something for You.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martí Cabré

Terrassa
Catalonia, Spain
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest Phantom Fury, No Retreat! The Russian Front or Band of Brothers: Screaming Eagles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick M.
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I also play solitaire game. I suggest you A Red-Blood banner the Alamo from Victory Point Games, a great solo game very simple and addictive. I also suggest you Field Commander Alexander from DVG, a great wargame for solo gamers.

Happy New Year
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iden Hill
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Victory Point Games have never disappointed me. Their States of Siege series of games are designed for solo play, most play in about an hour and are very challenging. I highly recommend looking into them. Just check out there ratings here on the Geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rui Serrabulho
Portugal
Lisboa
Lisboa
flag msg tools
badge
You have to, at least from a distance, look as if you know what you're doing, and I can manage that.
mbmbmbmbmb
I play a lot of solitaire and I like a lot:

D-Day at Omaha Beach

RAF: The Battle of Britain 1940 (three games - play as british, german or 2 player game)

Hornet Leader: Carrier Air Operations

I have good expectations and have the games but yet do not have the time to read their rules:

Field Commander: Napoleon

Phantom Fury (this is comming in the mail)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Quintana
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear I believe the 2nd edition is on sale from Academy games for two weeks.

Excellent tactical WWII and fairly short play. I believe there are solitare rules and I posted a flowchart for an "AI" player in the price of Honour files section.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions people, some nice ideas there. I still haven't decided and some are out of price range at the moment, but a couple that might fit right now.

If I don't get any more responses I'll roll a d6 by the looks of it later today, and pick someone for the print and play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lucey
United States
Ellington
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RAF is a pretty good game but its the strategic level approach to The Hardest Days which you could almost call the tactical treatment of the Battle of Britain. If you are happy with playing just individual days then skip it. If you want to step back and play the campaign then RAF is a good option. The plus is you can play either side.

I own both and one thing I want to do try once I get The Hardest Days punched is to use the RAF 2 vassal module to play the full campaign but use The Hardest Day's components to play each day. may be more fun... or just too much but only one way to find out.

D Day is another good option. You might want to check out the DVG air games, they are also pretty good without a huge footprint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoobysnacks wrote:
RAF is a pretty good game but its the strategic level approach to The Hardest Days which you could almost call the tactical treatment of the Battle of Britain. If you are happy with playing just individual days then skip it. If you want to step back and play the campaign then RAF is a good option. The plus is you can play either side.

I own both and one thing I want to do try once I get The Hardest Days punched is to use the RAF 2 vassal module to play the full campaign but use The Hardest Day's components to play each day. may be more fun... or just too much but only one way to find out.

D Day is another good option. You might want to check out the DVG air games, they are also pretty good without a huge footprint.

Thanks for this, it was very useful and has helped me rethink RAF.

Would love a copy of D-Day at Omaha Beach, but I'm not sure I'll find it anywhere at a reasonable price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Doyle
United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have rolled a d7, and it looks like

Yannick M.
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

is the winner. If you would like me to build you a Valor & Victory starter pack, PM me some details and I'll get working on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yannick M.
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah!!! First time i win something...
Love the wargame community!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.