Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know there is an ever increasing number of LEGO boardgames on the market. I have never played one of these or even seen one unpackaged.
I can see the appeal of these games even without any decent gameplay, but what are the worth as boardgames?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Volk
United States
Richfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
http://www.mortificationofspin.org/
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the ratings are pretty accurate. My 9 year old got all the Heroica games for Christmas, and they play pretty well as coop, role playing games. At their core, they are still roll and move.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Halliday
United Kingdom
Herts.
flag msg tools
Overclock Epic Fail!
badge
Please note I am no longer very active on BGG.
mbmbmbmbmb

My wife bought a couple of the younger games for her nephews (ages 5 & 7 IIRC) and the reports we had back are that both enjoy playing them. Of course in the long term the real attraction is the unique pieces that the games add to you Lego collection cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Josephus
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
I know there is an ever increasing number of LEGO boardgames on the market. I have never played one of these or even seen one unpackaged.
I can see the appeal of these games even without any decent gameplay, but what are the worth as boardgames?

I only have played Heroica: Draida, and it is a Roll and Move with a little Strategy (I suspect the Larger Heroica Sets may have a slight bit more strategy). Would I bring it out at a game night? Probably not, as it basically all comes down to a simplistic die roll.

That being said, what it DOES allow me to do is have a dungeon Crawl with my three and a half year old daughter, and for that reason alone, it's worth having on my shelf. (I actually just played this with my daughter and my wife last night and we were discussing picking up the other games in the Heroica series, as Draida is the smallest of them, and my wife felt the game was a bit short even for my daughter (it lasts about ten minutes).

Perhaps with some house rules you could add some more depth and complexity, but as it stands, it is a very simple game.

I also have Ramses Pyramid, which seems to have a little more thinking/memorization in it, although it also is largely based on the roll of a die judging from the rules; however, I have not yet had a chance to bring this to the table yet, so I can't give this a proper review; I should also note that this one was created by Reiner Knizia, but is not his usual mathematical fare.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Ligabue
Italy
Modena
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not really in a position to be objective since I'm collaborating with LEGO Italia on this games since june 2010 ... anyway, they are kids games best suited for 6-10 years old ... if kids are used to play boardgames you can start playing at 5 (my kid is playing HEROICA and he is 5) and, of course, when are 7-8 start to be less attracted ... my daughter (10 years old) used to play Agricola, Le Havre, Zooloretto, Ticket to Ride is not interested anymore in LEGO Games.

If you are looking something to introduce kids to boardgaming they are good because are LEGO (and is something kids and parents are used to know and play), easy to learn and to play ... they are roll-and-move games with some stratgy ... the more deep are Atlantis Treasure, Harry Potter, Frog Rush, Ramses Return.

Creationary and LEGO Champions are nice party games also for adults but this series is for kids and not for adults. I'm not used to play this games with adults at all

if you can undestrand Italian on www.youtube.com/LEGOGamesItalia there are all the video-rules of allt he games!

good play
Liga
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geert Vinaskov
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
They are good kids games, nothing wrong with it.

As an adult, I would stay far away from them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie F III
United States
North Catasauqua
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If you own kids, then yes these are great games. I do not have any Heroica games yet, but have plenty other LEgo board games and they play quite well. They are short and the play is pretty fluid. These are great stepping stones to introduce your kids to board games outside your MB/Parker Bros. game line.

Kids love Legos and you need to have some element to tear them away from video games. (Not like there is anything wrong with VGs.)

I have the Lego Hogwarts game and that is pretty fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Swack
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
Qwikstreet wrote:
If you own kids, then yes these are great games.
. Yeah I own a kid. Thinking about getting another, but or if at a discount or maybe in a math trade. whistle

I've been keeping an eye out for Lego games when they are on sale. Figure they are worth their price just for the Lego. All go into a box still in shrink until he is old enough to play with them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jswack wrote:
Qwikstreet wrote:
. Yeah I own a kid. Thinking about getting another, but or if at a discount or maybe in a math trade. whistle

Or maybe you could snipe one cheap from Ebay...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My son bought the pirate and Ninjago games and other than putting them together they really didn't hold his interest too long. He's 6 and has into other board and card games now and video games.

They seem a tad overpriced for what you get, especially if you want all the Heroica sets to put togehter as one game.

They should just sell the dice seperate and you could pretty much build your own games with any lego parts.

Are they fine for younger kids, sure are, will they stay interested in them probably not, other than using the legos with their other lego sets.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Smith
United States
Grand Prairie
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
jswack wrote:
Qwikstreet wrote:
. Yeah I own a kid. Thinking about getting another, but or if at a discount or maybe in a math trade. :whistle:

I'm not sure he could get another kid on Ebay. Isn't human trafficking against the law in most countries?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie F III
United States
North Catasauqua
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bamf226 wrote:
The Jakster wrote:
jswack wrote:
Qwikstreet wrote:

I'm not sure he could get another kid on Ebay. Isn't human trafficking against the law in most countries?

Theres ways around it.

We actually just finished a game of Lego Hogwarts. This game has some strategy in it when you have to slide the staircases around to get all the items in the castle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pater Absurdus
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
There's really no wrong way to use a margarita pool
badge
"What is best in Life? To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentations of their women."
mbmbmbmbmb
I generally hate party games but Creationary was pretty cool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Markus
Finland
Helsinki
Uusimaa
flag msg tools
You don't need any more.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Qwikstreet wrote:
We actually just finished a game of Lego Hogwarts. This game has some strategy in it when you have to slide the staircases around to get all the items in the castle.

I played a game of Hogwarts during the holidays as well. While not something I would whip out during a game night, it was fun enough and I would definitely play again if asked to.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Fernandez
Venezuela
Caracas
Miranda
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Creationary seems to be a nice game about the lego itself, is a modified pictonary that you use LEGO to build the things to be guess by your mates.

there are others i seem but are more about skills like the Connect 4 (Revised Edition)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D Conklin
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

The only ones I would consider games worth playing would be Hogwarts and Heroica...and Heroica only with custom rules.

There are a couple of home-made LEGO-based games that are worthwhile, specifically Mechaton: Giant Fighty Robots, BrikWars, and BrickQuest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clare Cannon
Wales
Trefforest
Mid Glamorgan
flag msg tools
mb
Creationary is very similar to pictionary except using the medium of lego.

Monster 4 is connect 4 with the added twist of a neutral player.

Pirate Plank is a game where the die builds as you play and the skill is choosing what to add to the die

Orient Bazaar is a set collection game.

they also have their fair share of roll-move games for example Minotaurus which is not actually very good.

They also have several other games which I rejected due to thier simplicity (my daughter is 6).

As games go they are good for introducing children or very new players to some key game mechanics. Generally try to get them when they are on sale as they are a little overpriced for what they are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua A.C. Newman
United States
Northampton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the racing one. It's a terrible little game, and I love both Lego and racing games like Formula Dé. There are effectively no decision points in it, nor are there ways, given the rules, to add decision points to it.

We're working on a new edition of Mechaton called Mobile Frame Zero: Rapid Attack that makes heavy use of Lego on the other hand. It doesn't use the Lego dice, unfortunately (not that I'm not thinking about it).

I haven't played Heroica, but Vincent and Sebastian Baker, working on the game with me, both enjoy it. I'm curious how much play it will have in the long run, given the roll-and-move nature of the game, though. I trust Seb to start coming up with interesting rules pretty quick though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.