Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, so the PuG ACTS Tourney 2012 is being launched, with a view to starting the 1st Round on 1st February 2012 if not earlier.

Detailed Instructions on how the tournament will work will follow in my next post, but this post is a roll call: anyone wanting to participate in the PuG ACTS Tourney should email me (philipthomas693@hotmail.com) with "Pug ACTS Tourney competitor" in the subject line and your ACTS username in the email.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pug Tourney Instructions.
Pursuit of Glory PBEM Tournament Instructions

1. The referees for the tournament are Philip Thomas, Kristian Thy and (to be announced). They are responsible for interpreting the tournament instructions and may change them if needed. In case of dispute, the referees will vote on the matter and the majority will carry it.

2. The Tournament will take place over 5 rounds. There will be 2 qualifying rounds, in which all competitors will play 2 games in each round, all 4 games being against different opponents. The 8 players with the highest score over their 4 games (see 5 below) will then go forward to a knock-out competition, seeded by score, which will involve each player in one game, the loser being eliminated, so that there will be 8 players in the first round of the knockout, 4 in the semifinals and 2 in the finals. [If player numbers vary significantly from expected, then the top 32 or 16 players may be chosen instead of the top 8].

3. In each game, the sides will be determined following the procedure in rule 19.8 Pre Game Bidding Phase, (p.4 of the playbook). The referee for the game will determine the player who starts the bidding by means of a 6-sided die roll on ACTS emailed to both players, with an odd number meaning that the player whose ACTS username’s first letter (and if, necessary, second and subsequent letters) is closest to the beginning of the alphabet starts the bidding and an even number meaning that the other player starts the bidding. The bidding should be conducted by emails between the players copied to the game referee. Once sides have been determined the referee will set up an ACTS game for the players.

4. The interface for the games will be ACTS, but players can use whatever method they choose to record their positions on the gameboard. Players are not required to exchange records of positions but may do so if both of them wish.

5. Points for games won and lost will be awarded in accordance with rule 5.4 Tournament play, with the addition that the losing player scores negative points equal to the amount scored by the winning player. The points totals over the 4 games each player plays in the qualifying rounds will determine which players go through to the knockout competition and also seeding within the competition. If there is a tie the average score of the tied player’s opponents will be calculated and the player whose opponents scored higher on average will be placed higher. If there is still a tie position will be determined randomly by die roll according to the procedure described at 3 above. During the knockout competition, although points will be recorded, they will not matter for who gets eliminated, as it will always be the match loser. Those players who are still in the Tournament from last year will have the option of scoring three points instead of playing in the first round.

6. The first round of the competition will last 4 months, from 1st February 2011 to 1st June 2011 (some games may start early or slightly late. At the end of the 4 months, if many games are still playing the round may be extended. Future rounds will have time limits determined on the basis of experience in previous rounds. If a game is still playing after the time limit expires the referee will call the result of the game. If it is evident that one player has been delaying much more than the other with no reasonable excuse, the referee will award the game to the non-delaying player with such points value as he sees fit. Otherwise, the game will be determined as if an Armistice had been declared. Games determined in this way can only score the winner 1 or 2 points, not 3, since there was no autovictory.

7. The rules in force are those stated in the latest Living rules version that was available at the start of the game [the current living rules may be found at http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?233@977.rZaqbxSPX1E.27@.1dd... ] with th the latest errata [the current errata may be found at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/725001/official-errata-5]. In any rules dispute within a game the referee for that game has the final word, even if he is wrong according to a ruling elsewhere. Optional Rules 18.13 (Anzac Desert Corps special movement) and 19.4 (Severe Weather Variant) will be used in all games. An optional rule that the Allied player may not organise non-RU LCUs in Russia, Azerbaijan or Caucasia will be in force. No other optional rules will be used, unless agreed to by both players and cleared with the moderator before the beginning of the game. The scenario will be the Campaign Scenario.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PuG Tourney follow up (moderator needeed)

Please make any comments on the instructions you have, I may alter them if necessary.

We are currently one moderator short, if anyone wants to be a moderator please email me (or include it in your email announcing your intention to compete). Moderators are encouraged to participate but if you just want to moderate that is ok. If the position is over-subscribed I will determine it randomly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Living Rules link given in the instructions post doesn't seem to be working. There is a link to the living rules on the game's consimworld page
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?13@977.8S1scLIh5Bv.10@.1dd1...

-it is the last file listed in attachments: Pursuit-of-Glory-Living-Rules-Rulebook-final3.pdf

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Anderson
United States
Elk Grove Village
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How many players are we looking at so far? Any danger of an odd number?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Ottoman
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would like to participate, but not familiar with ACTS. Have logged in, looked around and viewed some journals, but kind of lost as to the whole ACTS works. Is there a tutorial or some more info available?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristian Thy
Denmark
Taastrup
flag msg tools
Together, we are the United Nations
badge
Gunulfr ok Øgotr ok Aslakr ok Rolfr resþu sten þænsi æftir Ful, felaga sin, ær warþ ... døþr, þa kunungar barþusk.
mb
ACTS is just an online "journal" and dice roller for your game. It's fairly easy once you've spent a few minutes toying with it. You can start up a game against yourself and see how it works.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A3RKev wrote:
How many players are we looking at so far? Any danger of an odd number?

I think we currently have 17 players. However, that includes the semifinalists and I haven't found out if any of them want a bye yet. Actually both semifinals look like being over quite soon. But the point will then apply to the finalists!

Odd number doesn't matter because everyone plays 2 games so there will always be an even number of games being played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hallo again follks. A big welcome to our newest moderator, Tony Ferrari.

Also, I'm closing the lists on Wednesday, so any remaning competitors should sign up by then. That will give me time to prepare the first roud listing (who plays who etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepper Page
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
I would be interested in joining but I have some questions. Will cyberboard or vassal be used. I am proficient with CB but have not a clue
about Vassal. I am basically a novice and feel this could give me some needed experience. I would be able to do 1 action round or maybe two action rounds a day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is free choice among players, but Cyberboard has been most heavily favoured in past competitions. The players in a single match don't have to use the same system, unless they're exchanging files.

As for speed, well there are 102 Action Rounds in the full game. The first round is 1st February to 1st June=121 days. So 1-2 Action rounds a day should be fast enough, even taking into account extra time between turns and other interruptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepper Page
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
Great I am in then if you will have me. I can use the experience and am looking forward to learning if that is ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Supercat3767 wrote:
Great I am in then if you will have me. I can use the experience and am looking forward to learning if that is ok.

Ok, please email me (philipthomas693@hotmail.com) with your ACTS username. I generally communicate with all competitors by email once the competition has started...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The lists are now closed, we have 21 people in the tournament and 20 in the first round as Harvey Smallman, one of the finalists in the 2011 tournament, is taking a bye.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have emailed out the listing for round 1 to all competitors. If you are a competitor and have not received this email, please contact me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Björn Hansson
Sweden
Bromma
Stockholm
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Aaargh... Just missed this. Any chance for a spare seat?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Johan Johannesson
Sweden
Malmoe
Skane
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed it too. Was moving house and my internet connection was down for three weeks. A shame... but there is always next year I guess. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry follks, it is too late to join Round 1. I can let you join in round 2 if you like. There is less chance of qualifying (because the maximum score in one round is 6 and the maximum score in 2 rounds is 12) but you would still get to play this year (after June 1st). Obviously no decision needed yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Thomas
United Kingdom
London
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
End of round 1 approaches, round 2 starts soon. If you missed round 1 but still want to play in round 2 please let me know.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.