Subject: Satyr's ability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Simon Wiese
Germany
35043 Marburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Satyr's ability cannot force a character to leave the region he is in, right? Yet the Q&A sheet says that he is allowed to force someone to leave the inner region or the crown of command with his ability. The Reference book for 2nd edition says, that he cannot use his ability in the Inner Region at all. So how should this be handled? While I think the ability is kind of useless and weak in the outer or middle region, it could become VERY annoying and strong at the Crown of command, if the Satyr could simply force anyone to leave it and I believe this would be a way too deadly... Whats official and how should this be handled?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As as player can move only 1 space in the Inner region, I'd say that the following would happen:

Plain of Peril: The panicked character is moved to the Portal of Power
Valley of Fire: The panicked character is moved back to the Werewolf or Pit Fiends (Satyr's choice)
Crown of Command: The panicked character is moved to the Valley of Fire

So the only instance in which a character can be forced to leave the Inner region is if they're panicked on the Plain of Peril.

This is purely my 2 and not an official ruling!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Wiese
Germany
35043 Marburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Q&A sheet says:

Q: Since the Satyr must keep a Panicked Character in the same region, what happens if he Panics a Character at the Plain of Peril? The Valley of Fire? The Crown of Command!

A: In these cases only, the Panicked Character may move out of the region.

That reads like he could also move out of the region if he is panicked on the Valley of Fire or CoC, meaning that there would be a die roll to see how far he moves... and as far as I know, character abilities overrule space instructions (such as moving only 1 space in a turn)..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I wouldn't put that much faith in the GW Q&A. There was at least one thing in there (Centaur's bow) that they later retracted!

http://research.cs.queensu.ca/~dalamb/Games/Talisman/officia...

I'd say pick a house rule that works for you and go for it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Wiese
Germany
35043 Marburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for your help!
Just one more little question that is not interesting enough to be discussed in an extra thread:
How many rounds does the astral conjunction stay on the board? only one or four? My German card doesnt' mention anything at all shake

By the way I think I found a solution for the Satyr problem that is balancing and faithful to the rules at the same time: The ability says he can only Panic on a character when landing on it. If there is a character on the CoC and the Satyr moves to the CoC, he Panics the player away with a die roll as indicated on its character sheet and now possesses the Command spell as long as the character comes back. But if the Character moves to the CoC again and the final battle begins, the Satyr cannot Panic him anymore because he did not move on the CoC and even on the following turns, does not move at all and therefore does not land on the character... Any opinions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Booth
United Kingdom
Bicester
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Astral conjunction wrote:
All Spirits have their Craft doubled for one round

Quote:
The ability says he can only Panic on a character when landing on it. If there is a character on the CoC and the Satyr moves to the CoC, he Panics the player away with a die roll as indicated on its character sheet and now possesses the Command spell as long as the character comes back. But if the Character moves to the CoC again and the final battle begins, the Satyr cannot Panic him anymore because he did not move on the CoC and even on the following turns, does not move at all and therefore does not land on the character... Any opinions?

I like the part about only being able to use the ability when landing on a character, but I'm still not convinced by rolling a dice for movement in the Inner Region. If it works for you though, go with it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Voidpilgrim Voidpilgrim
msg tools
mbmb
As far as Panic and the Inner Region is concerned, I believe it must be handled differently, that region is unlike the normal lands, characters can only encounter each other in the Valley of Fire, Plain of Peril or the Command space, it is almost like Timescape! ... so my house rule at this point would be not die roll, but from CoC to the valley o' fire, or even not at all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.