Popular Tags: [View All]
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The last few times I've played Monza with my kids (5 & 6), they often (at least 3 times a game each) roll three dice of the same colour.

Most of the time this is ok, but there are times, around the obstacles, where this brings things to a halt.

One of the ideas I've toyed with is that if a player rolls 3 dice of the same colour, they can "spend" the dice to advance to any coloured space adjacent to their current position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
We just play that if you roll and have no move, you may move one.

Your idea is a bit more fluid and offers more options but based on the age range for the game, maybe a bit harder to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Halaska
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools

If we get a roll where we can't move, we usually just have fun making up an excuse for it (engine died, flat tire, ran out of gas, etc.), and then my son likes to move the "dead" car to the pit stop in the middle until the next turn.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blorb Plorbst
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
I think we're all bozos on this bus.
mbmbmb
Oh yes. Pit stops are very important in Monza.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got the chance to test run this with my 5yo daughter.
It worked reasonably well & my daughter had no difficulty with it.

My daughter had two instances where none of the dice she rolled could be used & she hadn't rolled three dice of the same colour.
She was a bit sad that she had nothing to do.

Idea #2 is to treat 2 twos of a kind the same as a three of a kind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
PO
Australia
Strathfield
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have played this a few times now.
Here's how we play.

Players can "spend" 3 dice of the same colour or 2 pairs of dice to move their car to a space of any colour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefan Lorenzutti
Poland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dice conversions
Ah! One of those moments when I so appreciate the bottomless archive that is BGG. My daughter wasn’t around yet when you posted this, back in 2012. Now she’s nearly four and we’ll be revving our engines once Monza arrives next week. And if not at first, we’ll for sure be implementing your dice conversion rule with time as she gains experience, both with Monza but also with tabletop games in general.

Your “trio or two-pair” rule is simple, clever, and logical, and it also adds an additional strategic layer to figuring out how best to make use of a pool of dice and navigate a given stretch of track: an older child might convert not because they have to but, atypically, because they can set themselves up for their next turn in a way that playing the dice straight wouldn’t allow them to (especially when playing with the last paragraph’s variant tweak as well). A fun amount of potential flexibility would accompany each roll.

Most importantly, those stalling, “misfire” turns can obviously be frustrating for a youngster. But, in fact, not only for a youngster. Getting stymied by a bad roll is no fun in adult games either, which is why the best designers think about ways to mitigate lousy rolls. Mitigation usually involves trade-offs, but then at least one can do SOMETHING, and a satisfying amount of thought can go into weighing those trade-offs. Mitigatory situations can present interesting conundrums. I’d rather have a conundrum than a flat-out doomed turn. So I like the principle of your conversion rule not only as the father of a young child but as a gamer in general.

And then, eventually, by combining your conversions with a (thematically logical) variant rule preventing cars from moving through spaces occupied by other cars, and thereby necessitating weaving around both fixed and moving obstacles (tires and rival racers), you end up with a Monza dynamic, tactical, and durable enough to last for many years. I could even see my wife and I playing it as a warm-up to a warm-up game, assuming our daughter grants us nocturnal borrowing privileges!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.